Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, Clarko gave a talk at a friend's basketball team, a few weeks ago.
They are heading for the finals, and asked Clarko to talk about finals pressure, etc.

One point Clark made was that in big games, particularly finals, he would never rely on inexperienced players, especially those in the 19-20 age group. He said he found older players mentally stronger in the heat of the game.

I'm interested to see if that applies here.
Someone needs to replay the 2008 GF for him.

Sometime the fearlessness of youth is also a benefit.

Like the look of Burton and for all the reasons mentioned in this thread clearly plenty of upside. Hope he plays finals. I'm sure the experienced players will perform to a high standard as history has shown us. But we still need a spark from one of the younger brigade I reckon to stamp our authority. Burton might just provide that.

Someone needs to replay the 2008 GF for him.

Sometime the fearlessness of youth is also a benefit.

Yes, but for 2008, you are talking about a 19 year old, once-in-a-generation, incredible, freakishly talented, possibly the most talented, natural footballer who has ever played the game.

The one and only Cyril F*****g Rioli.

Yes, but for 2008, you are talking about a 19 year old, once-in-a-generation, incredible, freakishly talented, possibly the most talented, natural footballer who has ever played the game.

I don't think that's his middle name. Would be cruel parents

burton is the second coming of hodge though so all good :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hawthorn gave Burton a couple of games to see what AFL is all about so he knows how hard he has to work in the off-season to get his body right and his fitness right remembering he hasn't played much in the past 3 years. I think now Hawthorn will bring in their most experienced players to get them ready for the finals and a tilt at a 4peat and next year Burton will take his place in the best 22 but for now the finals is all that matters my guess is Shoenmakers we will come back in considering ceglar done the ACL I expect McEvoy to shoulder the ruck duties alone Pittonet isn't ready yet and I can't see a real replacement and shoenmakers may play the role as ruck to give McEvoy a break at times this is when we really miss Roughhead who could do that role for us I think Burton will be a star his fitness though worries me after being out of action for so long and finals is a big step up. but who knows I really think Burton is a star in the making and Clarko could do anything he is the best coach going around

Hasn't stolen the show yet in his first two matches in the big league but I think we should still play him, feel like he is going to do something special come finals time

Agree, but what's his role actually on those 2 games?

I watch him playing all over the ground. At the centre bounce, on the wing, back, forward.

I set my expectations and hope with a consideration that he only played perhaps 4 games of footy in the last 2-3 years.

And worth to remember his first 2 AFL games are against finals team.

He is Awesome :D

I think Hawthorn gave Burton a couple of games to see what AFL is all about so he knows how hard he has to work in the off-season to get his body right and his fitness right remembering he hasn't played much in the past 3 years.
That, or they're dangling him like a carrot in front of JOM. ;)

Money and a heap of it will sway jom.

As for Burton, I think he will be a brilliant ball hunting type big mid/half forward. We gotta ripper here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back