Welcome to the Bulldogs James O'Donnell (CAT B ROOKIE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown

The Western Bulldogs have signed James O'Donnell, the son of former Australian cricketer Simon O'Donnell, as a convert from cricket. The Bulldogs have signed O'Donnell, who has been playing Premier Cricket for Essendon, as a category B rookie - the same rule that Geelong used to recruit Mark Blicavs from athletics and Collingwood deployed to sign American Mason Cox.

O'Donnell's father Simon, who is also a well-known media personality, played football for St Kilda, where his father Kevin also played in the 1940s, making James a prospective third generation of the family to play the game at the top level.

O'Donnell is an all-rounder at Premier Cricket level, but has a football pedigree, having played for Victoria in the under 12s, alongside North Melbourne's Will Phillips and Bulldog Luke Cleary. He concentrated mainly on cricket at Xavier College.

O'Donnell, 21, had a late growth spurt at 18-19 years of age, according to club sources, and is 197 centimetres - making him a potential key-position prospect, although the Bulldogs are open-minded about what positions he might fill. He had been a midfield-sized player when he last played the game.
The Bulldogs' expectation is that he could start playing in defence, where it is easier to learn the game. He has not played football since his latter school days.
O'Donnell tested strongly for athletic traits when assessed by the Bulldogs, showing good speed and endurance.
O'Donnell will join training at the Bulldogs on Friday.

The Bulldogs found O'Donnell via the club's head of high-performance Mat Inness, who is involved at Essendon Cricket Club. They do not expect O'Donnell to play immediately and will give him time to adjust to the game.

Looks like he's starting off as a KPD to get him used to the game but we're bullish about what role he'll play once he develops. 197cms so another big lad on our list.

Welcome Jod.

Really like this type of signing. Every so often a cat B rookie makes it. Blicavs anyone?

I see this as an Easter miracle. A player from nowhere appearing before our very eyes. Our new saviour? The AFL heathens may have crucified our Good Friday but our glorious resurrection will now be complete. Welcome to the club young James no presure at all and have a blessed career.

Article on club’s website

The Western Bulldogs have signed former cricketer James O’Donnell as a Category B Rookie.

A talented athlete across his junior years, O’Donnell was pursuing a career in cricket via the district competition for Essendon, playing alongside brother Tom, who is currently in the Victorian squad.

The 20-year-old will become a third generation VFL/AFL player with his Grandfather (Kevin) and father (Simon) playing games for St Kilda during the 1940’s and 1980’s respectively.

Simon O’Donnell also represented Australia in cricket, playing six test matches and pulling on the green and gold 87 times in ODI cricket during his career.

O’Donnell comes to the Bulldogs with a previous background in football, having played alongside defender Luke Cleary and North Melbourne midfielder Will Phillips in the Victorian Under 12 schoolboys football side.

Previously, O’Donnell had also played junior football for Kew and Xavier College before deciding to pursue cricket, having not played a match since 2019.

Bulldogs National Recruiting Manager, Dom Milesi was thrilled to secure O’Donnell after following the youngster closely in the event that football became an option.

“We’ve had our eye on James across the year and we’re really excited that he’s chosen to return to football with the Western Bulldogs,” Milesi said.

“James has a really strong athletic profile at 197cm and 88kg, having a significant growth spurt since last playing football, bringing some versatility to our list.

“Everyone is looking forward to welcoming him to the Club and watching him developing in the coming years.”

O’Donnell becomes the first alternate athlete signed by the Western Bulldogs as Category B Rookie and is now an additional player on the playing list.

He will arrive at VU Whitten Oval on Friday, April 7.

We’re challenged on the height department, so I’m glad we finally recruited a tall. Maybe eventually the entire team will be over 6 foot 5 if we can just get rid of the shortarses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know, but Carlton will be pleased we have another developing young tall on our list for Bev to send their way.

ha ha, I kid, I kid.

No but they will
Someone just can't let Andrejs Everitt go...

I see this as an Easter miracle. A player from nowhere appearing before our very eyes. Our new saviour? The AFL heathens may have crucified our Good Friday but our glorious resurrection will now be complete. Welcome to the club young James no presure at all and have a blessed career.
Haha, love the biblical metaphors!

Daniel Cross would be proud of it.

Sen Article

Former Australian cricketer Simon O’Donnell was thrilled to learn of his son James earning a spot on the Western Bulldogs’ list as a Category B rookie.

Much like his dad, O’Donnell was a quality cricketer and originally tried to pursue a career in that sport with the Essendon Cricket Club.
Having not been registered with a football club for three seasons, O’Donnell was eligible for Category B selection and his father said it was a thrill to see the 21-year-old have a dream of his come true.

“It’s fantastic,” O’Donnell said on SEN Breakfast.

“He’s really worked hard for it, he set his mind to it in the summer and stopped playing his cricket.

“He put his head down and bum up and got into the training side of it, there was an opportunity there and to see it come to fruition for him as a parent is an enormous thrill.”

While O’Donnell now has the profile of a key position defender – at 197cm and 88kg – he’s only recently shot up in height having played as a midfielder in the junior ranks.

Having grown so quickly, Simon says James is now getting used to playing a different role than he was originally used to.

“I think when they go to training, they feed them, that’ll save me a lot of money,” O’Donnell joked.

“He’s 197cm now, he was probably just over six foot (tall) when he was 18 or 19.

“As a junior he always played midfield but then he had these years where he just shot up.

“He was probably confused with all of the sport he was playing because the type of style he was playing for footy and for cricket had to become really different to what it was.

“But he’s grown into himself now and I suppose it’s time for the athletic ability to do its best, whatever in the summer or winter.

“Now there’s an opportunity here for him in the winter which is wonderful.”
Having arrived at the Bulldogs without any recent football experience, O’Donnell revealed that it was a connection from Premier Cricket that originally earned James an opportunity at the Whitten Oval.

“Matty Innes, the fitness coach at the Bulldogs, is also the bowling coach at the Essendon cricket club,” O’Donnell said.

“That’s how the relationship started during the summer, I don’t think Essendon were overly keen on it when he said, ‘You should come over and train, there’s an opportunity here we’d like to give you to see where it lands’.

“James sort of put the bit between the teeth and said, ‘I’ll have a crack at it’.

“He’s just worked his backside off and done all of the right things, they’ve done all of their testing.

“He ticked the boxes and they said, ‘Here we go, let’s get started’.”

With his position on the list secured, O’Donnell was asked whether his son had the desire to make a name for himself at the top level.

“I think he does,” O’Donnell said.

“Other people will judge that better than I do, but his will to get things right and do things perfectly drives me nuts sometimes.

“If that’s a measuring stick to his attitude to try and be the best he can be, I think he’s in a good spot to give himself that chance.”

While O’Donnell hasn’t played competitive football in some time, the junior state representative does have an impressive pedigree given Simon played 24 games for St Kilda.

Apparently more of a wing option than key position.
Got to see young James training at Skinner earlier today Good Friday. He comes across as a fine young man with plenty of leadership potential. Agree with you dergent his wing positioning is really really good.
Here is a couple of snaps I took this morning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230407-131705_DuckDuckGo.png
    Screenshot_20230407-131705_DuckDuckGo.png
    314.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20230407-131134_DuckDuckGo.png
    Screenshot_20230407-131134_DuckDuckGo.png
    394.6 KB · Views: 96

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Bulldogs James O'Donnell (CAT B ROOKIE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back