West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. But stop couching it in terms of it being about removing some injustice when it's clearly just about self-interest. (I have no problem with self-interest, by the way - just be upfront about it.)

Oh, and for the record, NMFC's first assistance package was a future second and future third pick, both of which had to be traded. It was a measly package, and part of the reason they had to go so big with the second one (ie, because the first one did SFA). So I have some sympathy with your desire for something actually worthwhile.
How is it self interest when other clubs are approaching AFL with the same want as us?

Not all teams have equal priority access to father sons and academy kids.

Academies yes, F/S's not so much.

Eagles started playing in 1987 which means they have just as much of a chance to land a F/S as most of the other clubs, but it's all random.

academies are different though, i agree that they're a complete rort for teams like Sydney and Brisbane.

It's a bit rich for an Eagles fans to complain about lack of PP's consider the very recent success your club has had

Simplest solution for those that want to get rid of priority picks is get rid of father and sons, academies, compo picks.
This will mean that whoever finishes last will have pick one and their second pick will be 19 not 25-30.
This is the least compromised but we know it won't happen.
This makes far too much sense

Eagles started playing in 1987 which means they have just as much of a chance to land a F/S as most of the other clubs, but it's all random.

academies are different though, i agree that they're a complete rort for teams like Sydney and Brisbane.

It's a bit rich for an Eagles fans to complain about lack of PP's consider the very recent success your club has had
Wait til Gold Coast start winning flags I say. Will be 17 other complainers in that unfair draft access group

Simplest solution for those that want to get rid of priority picks is get rid of father and sons, academies, compo picks.
This will mean that whoever finishes last will have pick one and their second pick will be 19 not 25-30.
This is the least compromised but we know it won't happen.

Priority picks have to go - end of story !!

The random manner that all draft assistance is handed out is farcical at best.

Compo picks ........... WTF ??

It's called 'Free Agency' for good reason, the compo picks clubs get should be banned immediately too.

Academies are a rort at the best of times, FFS Tarryn Thomas comes from Tassie but he magically found himself in north's academy.

I can mount a case for academies being based in the northern states only (GWS & GC) as they are the new frontier. However, they must be AFL run and all clubs can bid on those players with those two clubs being given a discount to keep local talent. Those academies should have a maximum time frame of say .....10-years, and then they are disbanded. It was wrong the way GC gave up a heap of junk picks to secure high end draftees.

Maybe make it that all clubs must draft (not elevate from the rookie list) four players per year instead of the current three. This will force clubs to be a little more frugal with the way they throw picks around as they will need more of them every year.

Father/Son I can live with but you can't being giving clubs a discount on top of that. If a club wants to bid on a player who qualifies for F/S then not only to they need to have the draft capital to do it, but they get a heavy penalty if they use up their picks in securing the F/S player and are unable to pick up the mandatory four draft selections.

The points index for all draft picks needs to be dramatically reviewed with the first & second round picks having a way higher value than what they are now.

Furthermore, get rid of this utter bullshit where clubs can go into draft deficit the next year, they either have the currency or they don't !! If they don't, then they have to sell off a player or two to get the currency they need.

Is it rich to question why top 4 sides with super strong lists continue to be provided assistance and prioriry access?

So because the Eagles won a flag 6 years ago it means they should just suck it up at rhe bottom of the ladder being uncompetitive?

Whilst the AFL continues to provide assistance packages and access to clubs playing in finals and grand finals?

So how long should a team suffer trying to rebuild? Give them a hand after 10 years? Which would take another 4 years to make any difference? So 15 years in being uncompetitive then?

So 10 years, no assistance. Whilst strong successful clubs continue to recieve assistance EVERY YEAR.

Collins, Moore, Andrews, Ballard, Lever, Blakey, Taylor, Sicily, Buckley, Wilkie, McGovern, Pearce, Weitering, Battles.

All better Key Defenders than Ben McKay.

Yet McKay was worth Pick 3 under current rules.....

The system is broken.

How much would Eagles pay for Sam Taylor? Pick 1 and 2 and $1.5m a year?

Is it rich to question why top 4 sides with super strong lists continue to be provided assistance and prioriry access?

So because the Eagles won a flag 6 years ago it means they should just suck it up at rhe bottom of the ladder being uncompetitive?

Whilst the AFL continues to provide assistance packages and access to clubs playing in finals and grand finals?

So how long should a team suffer trying to rebuild? Give them a hand after 10 years? Which would take another 4 years to make any difference? So 15 years in being uncompetitive then?

So 10 years, no assistance. Whilst strong successful clubs continue to recieve assistance EVERY YEAR.

Apart from the rort going on in Qld and NSW which clubs get priority picks? I agree with you that the academies are an absolute rort

F/S's is a lottery, they are not a PP

Yes, you shouldn't get any assistance for 10 years. Freo hasn't got any and it's been 10 years since we were in a grand final. We also got raided for players regularly, the same that saw Brisbane & Gold Coast get assistance in the past.

When we were struggling no one came to help and they shouldn't be helping the richest club in the land with the most resources. It's your time to be at the bottom.

Last edited:
Yes, you shouldn't get any assistance for 10 years. Freo hasn't got any and it's been 10 years since we were in a grand final. We also got raided for players regularly, the same that saw Brisbane & Gold Coast get assistance in the past.

When we were struggling no one came to help and they shouldn't be helping the riches club in the land with the most resources. It's your time to be at the bottom.
So, bitterness and envy are going to be the new guiding principles for access to the draft? Nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By any other name, it's AFL assistance. Getting a gun player for less than he's worth on the open market.

Which West Coast have exactly the chance to receive and i bet you weren't complaining about them in the years your mob had F/S selections

So West Coast has received assistance from the AFL too

Collins, Moore, Andrews, Ballard, Lever, Blakey, Taylor, Sicily, Buckley, Wilkie, McGovern, Pearce, Weitering, Battles.

All better Key Defenders than Ben McKay.

Yet McKay was worth Pick 3 under current rules.....

The system is broken.
That has nothing at all to do with whether the Eagles should get a priority pick.

Changing the rules to benefit another team is the same concept I’m afraid

Ben McKay wasn’t compensation, it was a compensation + priority pick in most eyes. Gotta grim and bear that
He's being paid $1.2 million this year. It's a ridiculous figure for a player of his limited ability but that's why it was band one.

Considering they gave us a shit-ton of picks anyway and gave no ****s in doing so, if they wanted to give us a high first-round PP, they would have just done it.

But again, what happened in an entirely unrelated situation has no bearing on whether West Coast should get a PP in 2024.

So, bitterness and envy are going to be the new guiding principles for access to the draft? Nice.
I'm asking to apply the equalization principles that AFL want for the competition. You won the flag 6 years ago, therefore you need to wait longer to get special assistance.

You haven't even changed your coach yet so not sure why you think more draft picks is going to solve anything when the man who has run it into the ground is still in charge. Your development is worst than your drafting.

He's being paid $1.2 million this year. It's a ridiculous figure for a player of his limited ability but that's why it was band one.

Considering they gave us a s**t-ton of picks anyway and gave no *s in doing so, if they wanted to give us a high first-round PP, they would have just done it.

But again, what happened in an entirely unrelated situation has no bearing on whether West Coast should get a PP in 2024.
It does to a degree as none of the 3. Mckay Doedee and Gresham were worth 1st round compensation but the AFL in there wisdom didn't include the new CBA as a factor. Further pushing out the second round picks

West coast are bottoming at the wrong time. What used to be good picks are almost being worthless due to academies, compo picks and father and sons. Last years pick 19 became 30.What irked west coasts fans was that Lance Collard went pick 28 and wasn't taken by St Kilda by their first pick but with their compo pick for Gresham and we missed him by two picks because we couldn't match.
I can understand that other clubs don't want us to have a pp but if we can't match a academy boy from at least pick 20 it penalises a team who came last. Pick 19 used to be a decent pick for any team once upon a time but if the Afl don't fix the academy/compo pick and father son fiasco whoever comes last this year or in the future will have a devalued pick as their second pick.

Would anyone be against Eagles getting early access to Malaki Champion as our compensation. By that I mean bidding our 2nd rounder + 3rd rounder to match any bid which he will probably get in the top 5 somewhere
no. 3rd rounders have 0 value. Late 2nd rounders have 0 value. A pick around 19 or 20 (maybe 23-24 with f/s picks, academy picks etc.) for a top 5 pick. no chance

Under my proposal, FA compensation would be completely scrapped, its a joke !!

Lotteries ............ perish the thought.

As soon as a club who is already strong plucks it out of their jaxy to get the big booty prize all hell will break loose. Regardlesss of how marginal the chances are of that happening, if it did, then those clubs in need of a leg-up would just about fold completely.

We have to get rid of the mickey-mouse stuff, not add more of them.
Sorry mate. I have no Issues with Free Agency compo picks.

Crows losing Patrick Dangerfield in 2015 for Nothing would be a disgrace.

Hawks losing Buddy Franklin for nothing after the 2013 grand final would of been a joke either, despite hawks winning a flag in 2014-5 as well.

You don't seem to understand the underlying principle that priority picks aren't to help a team win a flag, they're to stop a team being exceptionally uncompetitive and distorting the competition. I'm talking something like what North received in 2022 that can be traded on for a couple of senior players just to fill in some of the holes on the list.

While a big part of West coast's woes are self inflicted, another part is down to bad luck with players like Sheppard, Venables, Rioli and Cameron no longer playing part in the team, that's 2 first rounders gone to concussion, and 2 other talented guys lost to stupidity and god knows what. Then you have the unprecedented levels of long term injuries which can be at least partially blamed on the AFLs decision to cut the soft cap during covid to drag the competiton down to the level of the broke clubs which hamstrung us in particular as we generally have to pay that type of staff more to get them over to WA and have less options available than eastern clubs. Then there is the AFLs constant distortion of the draft with academies, father sons, priority picks, compo picks etc.
I agree with the 2 bolded bits....

1. A priority pick is given to a club for a reason. If they are that bad, hand them a late 1st rounder or early 2nd. so a pick between 20-25. If your side has pick 3, some teams can be creative. Sure A top 5 pick can be good. You can get a Chris Judd or Dustin Martin who ends up being elite and a difference maker. or you can end up with Anthony Morabito, a talented player that ends up with many injuries.

2. Eagles problems are partially self inflicted. I agree. Another problem is certain eagles players you have listed were injured too. Venables was forced to retire with concussions. Nic Nat was good but had multiple knee injuries. And players like Josh Kennedy and Luke Shuey and Shannon Hurn just got old and retired.

I agree with the 2 bolded bits....

1. A priority pick is given to a club for a reason. If they are that bad, hand them a late 1st rounder or early 2nd. so a pick between 20-25. If your side has pick 3, some teams can be creative. Sure A top 5 pick can be good. You can get a Chris Judd or Dustin Martin who ends up being elite and a difference maker. or you can end up with Anthony Morabito, a talented player that ends up with many injuries.

2. Eagles problems are partially self inflicted. I agree. Another problem is certain eagles players you have listed were injured too. Venables was forced to retire with concussions. Nic Nat was good but had multiple knee injuries. And players like Josh Kennedy and Luke Shuey and Shannon Hurn just got old and retired.

Oh I like it how you try and be nice but then try and say that pick 20-25 is same as top 5.

Basically you agree to pretend-help only. So that you can say there was help but not really.

Self inflicted? What does non-self inflicted look like before its seems as damn unlucky and has that ever happened?

we aint asking for F/S.... they just happen.

A PP is a request for help b/c of a truly s**t set of management decisions and selections that left the club in the dumpster with more $$ than anyone else in the process and you still cant fix it.

Apples and oranges but well mixed up.

GO Catters
Bed time gramps

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back