West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Swapping pick 4 to Essendon (Scott Lucas) for Tony Delaney
Swapping Jeff Farmer for Phil Gilbert
Taking Chris Groom over Andrew McLeod
Delisting Peter Bell after 1 season
Giving us pick 3 (Phil Matera) for David Hynes

Freo definitely had their chances for a good start but chose to * it up instead and haven’t recovered
Dockers recovered to the point they finals for the 1st time in 2003 and a grand final in 2013.

Yeah Freo had bad trades and bad luck that didn't help.

Saying that, had Jeff farmer been a dockers player in 1995, I don't think his AFL career would of pamnaed out as good.

He was solid at demons and dockers. Played 100 games at both clubs

Here’s another take on the McLeod meeting;

Fremantle had flown the 18-year-old McLeod and his father to Perth for an interview, but none of the coaching or recruiting staff had actually seen him play, despite McLeod having played in a premiership for Port Adelaide Football Club in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL) a few weeks earlier.

McLeod was puzzled and insulted when Fremantle coach Gerard Neesham asked him to stand up to see how tall he was. The result of this short meeting was that he was traded to Adelaide in return for promising centre half-forward Chris Groom, who they also hadn't see play. McLeod went on to play over 300 games, whilst Groom played only seven for Fremantle before being delisted at the end of the 1995 season.[8]

We’re not talking about dozens of picks over the course of history, these were the first 2 seasons of you entering the comp.

Ballsing it up so badly at the trade table and through the draft initially was more to blame for your poor history than a lack of start up concessions. Anyone throwing away the amount of opportunity you guys had in your hands would’ve suffered similarly.

Delisting Peter Bell after 1 year only to fork out picks 6, 8, 37 and Jess Sinclair to get him back a few years later is just 1 classic example. McLeod another. Scott Lucas, Phil Matera, Jeff Farmer - the list goes on. This is all happening before you get to throwing away pick 1 for a couple of seasons worth of Trent Croad.

The people running your club were a bunch of clowns.

Join the club. West Coast were on the bones of their ass for years when they came along. They didn’t even have their own training oval and were doing sessions at suburban grounds all over Perth in the initial years. The players were doing fundraisers on weekends just to stay afloat.
I'm sorry but explain how Freo traded picks 6, 8 , 7 and jess Sinclair in 2000?

The actual trade was pick 6, 37 and Sinclair for Peter Francis Bell

Lol, what?

You realise we’ve got players on our list right now who have won more finals than Fremantle right?

3 seasons ago we were playing in them.

Now taking that into consideration how much access do you think we’ve had to the pointy end of the draft over the course of the previous decade or so? Andrew Gaff was our most recent top 10 pick before Ginbey came along.

We had one more swing at another flag when we brought Kelly onboard which was fine at the time - a midfield of Naitanui, Yeo, Shuey and Kelly all within their prime years would’ve been a formidable combination but unfortunately they’ve hardly played together. Injuries robbed us of that and now the ships sailed, those guys are past their prime and the list is tired.

Lists get old, it happens, it’s not unique to West Coast.

With a naturally occurring older list even at full strength we’d be looking at finishing in the bottom 6 somewhere this year and last. You can’t stay on top forever.

Take a rebuilding list expecting to finish near the bottom and throw in an unprecedented number of injuries for a sustained length of time and you end up where we are now.

Personally I really don’t want any priority picks or concessions, I just want our injury prevention and management sorted out.
Are you seriously arguing that playing finals three years ago is a reason you should get a PP.

Don't you have players on your list who were PPs last time you got them? I honestly can't remember but isn't Hurn one?

Youse should never have had Bell either.

That was terrible player relations/management on our part. Bell deserved better.

Picks 6, 8, 37 plus Jess Sinclair for Bell was the trade. Look it up, it happened.

This was after you delisted Bell already having played 1 season with you guys.

Are you seriously arguing that playing finals three years ago is a reason you should get a PP.

Don't you have players on your list who were PPs last time you got them? I honestly can't remember but isn't Hurn one?
You obviously missed the part where I said I wasn’t interested in a PP.

My post was in response to someone asking how I thought we ended up in this mess. Basically we’re a tired list with an extraordinary number of injuries mixing to provide the perfect storm. Sort out the injury management and we’re just like any other tired list taking their turn at the ass end for a while.

I don’t believe we’re in line for any sort of compensation at all.

Agreed it's just so sad seeing the eagles down.

We bank roll the close to the entire comp. We could withdraw and alot other clubs would fold.

This is idea is non negotiable.

It's not a good look that the only wa team wa has is down in the dumps
You can have a top 5 pick this year along with pick 1.

But you have to have ken Hinkley as coach for 2 or 3 seasons LoL

When your club has had 0 success you take pride in the failure of others to fill the void. Very little to look forward to and certainly nothing to look back on.

We know WCE will bounce back and find success again. What we don’t know is whether Freo will ever reach the ultimate. Let them have their little win here 👍🏻
I knew you would post here on your friendly stance towards the Fremantle Dockers LoL

Again, it’s typical freo mentality. All about other things other than premierships. ‘Worse than freo has ever been’. I mean so what?It’s not a competition on who is less bad.

reality is that if you are bad, you are better off being last.
Me personally I don't hate west coast eagles. I don't dislike their players besides gaffs dog hit on Brayshaw in 2018 and nic Nat destroying Sandilands ribs in 2016.

I don't dislike their fan base outside a few eagles posters on here that act like arrogant 🤡 clowns.

You don't need to finish bottom to make a Grand final.

Dockers went from 14th out of 16th in 2008 and 2009 to grand final In 2013.

I have posted on here. The eagles squad is ageing and beaten up and injury prone.

Me personally, I don't care if eagles get a priority pick.

Hand them an early 2nd rounder like pick 20 or 21.

Their rebuild isn't going to be easy. They didn't make finals in 2021.

They hit bottom 2 in 2022 and will be bottom 2 this season.

Regardless what picks the eagles get, they will use it on WAFL kids or trade in 22-25 year old WA guys back home

My post was in response to someone asking how I thought we ended up in this mess. Basically we’re a tired list with an extraordinary number of injuries mixing to provide the perfect storm. Sort out the injury management and we’re just like any other tired list taking their turn at the ass end for a while.

I have posted that I dont care of the eagles get a priority pick or not.

Dockers were old and injury riddled in 2016-19. We didn't get Centrelink payments or assistance.

I stuck out here and copped my crap on freos 2016-21 rebuild

Shouldn’t get one, they won a flag not too long ago and apparently Reid is the most talented kid recruiters have seen. Heard he plays like Dusty. If they don’t pick him it’s their fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i did.

If you wanna get technical...

Shannon Hurn was not a priority pick he was a legit 1st rounder in the 2005 draft.

It's the 2001 draft your taking about. Pick 3 was Judd, pick 6 was Ashley Sampi.

Eagles in the 2010 draft had a priority 2nd rounder. It was either jack Darling or Scott Lycett

If you wanna get technical...

Shannon Hurn was not a priority pick he was a legit 1st rounder in the 2005 draft.

It's the 2001 draft your taking about. Pick 3 was Judd, pick 6 was Ashley Sampi.

Eagles in the 2010 draft had a priority 2nd rounder. It was either jack Darling or Scott Lycett
Might have been Darling I was thinking of.

Screw them and their priority pick. They are one of the wealthiest clubs in the league with a huge membership base most clubs could only dream of. They got themselves into this position by giving everything away to get Tim Kelly, and are now reaping what they sow. There is no easy way out of this for the Eagles. They have to tough it out and rebuild from scratch. It will be a long time before they are competitive again, let alone play in finals.

Screw them and their priority pick. They are one of the wealthiest clubs in the league with a huge membership base most clubs could only dream of. They got themselves into this position by giving everything away to get Tim Kelly, and are now reaping what they sow. There is no easy way out of this for the Eagles. They have to tough it out and rebuild from scratch. It will be a long time before they are competitive again, let alone play in finals.
Yeah having the number 1 ground ball player in the comp who’s in the conversation for AA honours this year despite everything crumbling around him is the main problem

:rolleyes:

If Eddie was AFL CEO he would be giving every big 4 Vic club a first round priority pick and 23 H+A games at the MCG.

All for the strength of the competition.

I'm fine with not getting a PP however the inequality created by certain clubs having access to Academy picks, no matter where they fall, needs to be addressed.

At the moment, the 2 WA clubs are the most impacted by location/draft concessions/access to academy picks and it's only ever going to get even more increasingly difficult to remain competitive in the future.

The fact that the Vic media, and now Kane Cornes, are actively promoting draft tampering to discourage Vic kids from moving west is disgusting and the draft should just be scrapped completely in that case, with no soft cap restrictions in place.

You have the money? You should be allowed to spend it with no penalty on off-field expenditure. I'm not advocating for the player's salary cap to be abolished.

You don't? Stop being a basket case begging for AFL handouts.

You're the bloody basket case begging for handouts stfu

This is your second year at the bottom with a basically completely stable club and a recent premiership and you already have Eddie McGuire in your corner saying you need a priority pick.

And you wonder why other clubs need to shout a little louder?!?! Get f***Ed!

You're the bloody basket case begging for handouts stfu

This is your second year at the bottom with a basically completely stable club and a recent premiership and you already have Eddie McGuire in your corner saying you need a priority pick.

And you wonder why other clubs need to shout a little louder?!?! Get f***Ed!
1686980434214.png :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

LMAO.

Show me where WCE have been begging for 'handouts'?

View attachment 1714832 :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

LMAO.

Show me where WCE have been begging for 'handouts'?

Yeah damn straight I follow North Melbourne and damn straight I want a handout. Have you been paying attention?

When WCE supporters start asking for a priority pick given the comparative circumstances, it's preposterous and infuriating.

Then you reckon just scrap the soft cap? Just because you won the flag in 2018 with a billion support staff to Adam Simpson and now you don't know what to do - most entitled attitude in the AFL.

Yeah damn straight I follow North Melbourne and damn straight I want a handout. Have you been paying attention?

When WCE supporters start asking for a priority pick given the comparative circumstances, it's preposterous and infuriating.

Then you reckon just scrap the soft cap? Just because you won the flag in 2018 with a billion support staff to Adam Simpson and now you don't know what to do - most entitled attitude in the AFL.
The soft cap was introduced to the AFL in 2015. WCE had the same soft cap expenditure available to them as everyone else did in 2018, the year we won a flag.

I get that your poor club, that can't match it financially with bigger clubs, wants everyone brought down to their level so that they have a chance.

How's that worked out for North so far?

The competition's poorer for it .

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back