2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

He wants better regions or something (not 100% sure on terminology) .He then said he wants more concessions or ability for us to source players from SANFL/VFL since WAFL based players are reluctant to join.

The big blocker appears to be WAFC not wanting us to spend extra money to get players here from over east. That sounds like what they are arguing. Its pathetic from WAFL clubs really. They should want the competition to have better players and not to sook and moan about it

In all honesty it sounded to me like we have names lined up, its WAFC who wont let them sign on and are the blockers. Atleast we seem prepared to action things that way. We just have the douchey WAFL clubs not wanting it to happen
You don't know what you are talking about. The eagles only used 55 points this year of their 70 and a few guys who are on points have not even played. They have been unlucky as Jackson Nelson hasn't played.
I think they want the same deal as peel for the same points and salary cap.

The Wafc isn't holding back the Eagles it is the mismangement of the team by the Eaglesl
In the Vfl all Afl teams/aligned teams have a smaller salary cap than the Eagles.

As for getting players from over east you do realise the Eagles got two delisted Afl players in Ruscoe and Gilbee.
Harley Sparks is a former East Perth league player who played country last year and was able to be picked up by the Eagles. It can be done.

How about somebody doing their job properly and scour the country for some decent players or from ammos, W.A.. country, Sanfl, Vfl, because that's what a lot of Wafl clubs have to do who don't have the zones of East Fremantle and Claremont.

i don't want excuses or blaming the mess of our Wafl side on the Wafc. Somebody at the Eagles take responsibility.
The Beagles are a mirror of the Afl side with no decent ruckman and poor recruitment.

You don't know what you are talking about. The eagles only used 55 points this year of their 70 and a few guys who are on points have not even played. They have been unlucky as Jackson Nelson hasn't played.
I think they want the same deal as peel for the same points and salary cap.

The Wafc isn't holding back the Eagles it is the mismangement of the team by the Eaglesl
In the Vfl all Afl teams/aligned teams have a smaller salary cap than the Eagles.

As for getting players from over east you do realise the Eagles got two delisted Afl players in Ruscoe and Gilbee.
Harley Sparks is a former East Perth league player who played country last year and was able to be picked up by the Eagles. It can be done.

How about somebody doing their job properly and scour the country for some decent players or from ammos, W.A.. country, Sanfl, Vfl, because that's what a lot of Wafl clubs have to do who don't have the zones of East Fremantle and Claremont.

i don't want excuses or blaming the mess of our Wafl side on the Wafc. Somebody at the Eagles take responsibility.
The Beagles are a mirror of the Afl side with no decent ruckman and poor recruitment.
Eagle's been blocked from signing players from SANFL and VFL... This is a restriction.

We are not allowed to scour the country for any players we want . We are limited to specific areas we can recruit from.

Club didn't use 70 points because of all the roadblocks that exist that prevents us from using them.

We have restrictions. When Pyke talks about restrictions, what do you think he means btw?

Eagle's been blocked from signing players from SANFL and VFL... This is a restriction.

We are not allowed to scour the country for any players we want . We are limited to specific areas we can recruit from.

Club didn't use 70 points because of all the roadblocks that exist that prevents us from using them.

We have restrictions. When Pyke talks about restrictions, what do you think he means btw?

You sure? They were allowed to recruit VFL/SANFL players from the get-go, I doubt that’s been changed as the restrictions have generally been eased rather than tightened.

In reserves action…

acd6f90c9029d2cbda536cfb50e2c92e.jpg

With cold rain pelting down and that scoreline at the half, I’d be tempted to fake a calf strain and take the rest of the day off if I played for West Perth.
What was the final score of this game? Did they score?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing also is. How are we using 55 points. They must be bending the rules on the fly to get it to say 55?

Trey Ruscoe (10), Jackson Nelson (10), Jason Gilbee (10), Tyler Moritz (5), Andries Mercer (5), Harley Sparks (5), Kye Barker (5), Harry Creaey (5), Oscar Armstrong (5)

Thats 60 already. Thats all I can find because the WAFL site doesnt actually let you list Eagles players in the ALL PLayers part of the website. Doesnt have Eagles as a filter option :D (here - https://wafl.com.au/players)

One thing also is. How are we using 55 points. They must be bending the rules on the fly to get it to say 55?

Trey Ruscoe (10), Jackson Nelson (10), Jason Gilbee (10), Tyler Moritz (5), Andries Mercer (5), Harley Sparks (5), Kye Barker (5), Harry Creaey (5), Oscar Armstrong (5)

Thats 60 already. Thats all I can find because the WAFL site doesnt actually let you list Eagles players in the ALL PLayers part of the website. Doesnt have Eagles as a filter option :D (here - https://wafl.com.au/players)

No, it used to and it's removed us. Same with the injury hub. More proof we're not considered an actual WAFL club.

I can't even find the player points on the wafl site. Last year's first Budget had them, this year's doesn't seem to:

1724065135757.png

No, it used to and it's removed us. Same with the injury hub. More proof we're not considered an actual WAFL club.

I can't even find the player points on the wafl site. Last year's first Budget had them, this year's doesn't seem to:

View attachment 2085059
Something so hilarious that we use one of the spots on a ruckman :D

You have made a mess of this. To work out points properly you either have to have a physical footy budget or or look up the online budget each week and use that as a guide. As not every beagle is listed you have to peruse several budgets to get the correct points.
Trey Ruscoe is only (7) not (10)
Jackson Nelson (1) not (10)
Gilbee (3) not (10)
Moritz (1) not (10)
Mercer (2) not (5)
Sparks (3) not (5)
Barker (3) not (5)
Creasy (1) not (5)
Armstrong (1) not (5)

that is a total of 22 points not 60 points
It is a complicated system that is the same for all teams.
also points decrease by half after i think three years
What matters is that Beagles have nowhere gone close to using their points
We don't know how much or little they have used of the salary cap.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have made a mess of this. To work out points properly you either have to have a physical footy budget or or look up the online budget and use that as a guide. As not every beagle is listed you have to peruse several budgets to get the correct points.
Gilbee (3) not (10)
Moritz (1) not (10)
Mercer (2) not (5)
Sparks (3) not (5)
Barker (3) not (5)
Creasy (1) not (5)
Armstrong (1) not (5)

Has any player actually came to us directly from VFL/SANFL at all by the way. People are saying its possible but then I don’t think we have ever did it so maybe it’s not possible?

Something so hilarious that we use one of the spots on a ruckman :D

Watson’s largely played as a key defender for us, with a bit of pinch-hitting. Don’t think he’s ever been lead ruck.

We had Josh Edwards as a true ruck last year.

Has any player actually came to us directly from VFL/SANFL at all by the way. People are saying its possible but then I don’t think we have ever did it so maybe it’s not possible?

Don’t think so. But I can’t find anything saying it’s not possible. All I’ve found is the stuff from 2018 which makes it sound like other state leagues are fair game.

You have made a mess of this. To work out points properly you either have to have a physical footy budget or or look up the online budget each week and use that as a guide. As not every beagle is listed you have to peruse several budgets to get the correct points.
Gilbee (3) not (10)
Moritz (1) not (10)
Mercer (2) not (5)
Sparks (3) not (5)
Barker (3) not (5)
Creasy (1) not (5)
Armstrong (1) not (5)

Also even if we leave 15 points on the table isn’t that basically 2 WAFL reserves players and then say Brady Grey like player left behind

Do you think Brady Grey and 2 WAFL reserves players would be the answer ?

Also even if we leave 15 points on the table isn’t that basically 2 WAFL reserves players and then say Brady Grey like player left behind

So we have 15 unused points plus
Mitch henderson (5 points) no games 2024
Jack O'sullivan (3 points) no games 2024
John levian (5 points) no games 2024
Nick Watson(2 points) 1 game
That is another 15 points with only one player playing one game
That is 30 under-utilised points. We can have four trey Ruscoe's for those points.
You can't have players on your list who are worth points who are not playing or virtually never going to get a game.
You need to recruit players who are not rucks or key forwards/backs that is what shoyld be filled with eagle players.
you need to recruit players who can be flexible and play midfield/half forward/half back to fit in with who is available from the Eagles squad.

to finish of Perth got off their backside this year and recruited two former afl players in Charlie Constable and Sam Simpson plus a guy from the Vfl called Aaron Clark. If Perth can do it why can't the Eagles.
I would love to be able to get some answers from the club as to whether they are really trying to solve the problems.

That is 30 under-utilised points. We can have four trey Ruscoe's for those points.
You can't have players on your list who are worth points who are not playing or virtually never going to get a game.
You need to recruit players who are not rucks or key forwards/backs that is what shoyld be filled with eagle players.
you need to recruit players who can be flexible and play midfield/half forward/half back to fit in with who is available from the Eagles squad.

to finish of Perth got off their backside this year and recruited two former afl players in Charlie Constable and Sam Simpson plus a guy from the Vfl called Aaron Clark. If Perth can do it why can't the Eagles.
I would love to be able to get some answers from the club as to whether they are really trying to solve the problems.

Rolling 12 month contracts for the Beagles wouldn't have helped.

Now we are committed for 2 years there's more certainty with recruiting players.

Going through the Budgets I've got a total of 57 points, but Levien and/or Henderson might be less than 5 points now as they've been with us for a while and I had to use last year's figures as they haven't been in a squad all year. Wilson I'm assuming is 1 point as he hasn't been in a squad either.

1724077453726.png

Mitch Henderson is a reserves level player from Perth. In what way is that 5 points of 70? In what way is a reserves level player from a club going to improve our WAFL side? These players dont play because they are not good. We only have the ability to replace them with not good players. The above is squad depth, not good footballers. We have 100% been limited to picking up WAFL reserves players as a primary source of our list makeup. With the 15 wasted points is the argument we should go for quality and not quantity or something? Not sure what you mean here. Are there players in WAFL reserves we are missing out on that would build us to be a contender?

We have 70 points to build a squad of 20+ players essentially. If a WAFL reserves footballer is 1/14th of that then it doesnt bode well for what we can do with these points we still have in 2024. In the above are you not basically complaining that we havnt signed Charlie Constable plus a WAFL reserves footballer and arguing that would solve our entire issue here? This is all 15 points would achieve for us. Are you also saying we should just go pick up 10 Trey Ruscoes. With 8 injuries at present and needing players to fly over and be backuo, this means we would be unable to field a squad of 22 players this week also...

2023 is a bit of a rough year to judge our ability to get Charlie Constable and the like anyway. Would he sign for 1 season? Are we able to provide any security to people when WAFC refuse to provide us a stable playing ground?

I kind of feel like your argument is that we havnt scrapped the bottom of the barrel when Pyke is arguing we need to get to a point where we dont need to scrape said barrel. I think Pyke is right on this (finally). We need to get to a point where we are free to recruit who we want, when we want without the absurdity of a points system which classified Mitch Henderson as a above average footballer, when obviously based on his career he isnt

Love when come to a thread for the first time in a while and see a whole conversation go on with all your points coming out already. Kind of makes participating moot.

The Flynn dialogue is a classic.

Eeeek, it's a worry
Talked up all preaseason

He's a bust
He went from completely competent to incapable of competing against a 199cm WAFL part-timer?

heck.

Yeah but i think
Gotta give Flynn one more year really. Two injuries, one very severe and looks completely incapable of running out a game. Rucks okay but is getting killed on the spread. Anyone who watched Flynn play in the last month will tell you he is struggling to get around the ground and looks terribly unfit

If Flynn can’t get it going in pre season and start next year of with a bang, I’ll be very worried. For now we probably shouldn’t give up on a guy after a bad month
My concern though
I’ve been thinking the same, we need to judge him after he gets a clear run at it. The issue though is that his injury history suggests there’s a good chance that might never happen.

Going through the Budgets I've got a total of 57 points, but Levien and/or Henderson might be less than 5 points now as they've been with us for a while and I had to use last year's figures as they haven't been in a squad all year. Wilson I'm assuming is 1 point as he hasn't been in a squad either.

View attachment 2085201
Id suggest a heap of these are semi available to us. With no reserves team for example, what are these guys meant to do? Go to the game and clap with pom poms or something? Are these guys meant to upend their lives cos we need them for 1 week cos Harley Sparks rolled his ankle and neeeds 1 game off?

We need a deep squad so we have the ability to make multiple phone calls... I dont think Avery is flying back from his primary job in the mines to play for our WAFL side for 1 week....

Id suggest a heap of these are semi available to us. With no reserves team for example, what are these guys meant to do? Go to the game and clap with pom poms or something? Are these guys meant to upend their lives cos we need them for 1 week cos Harley Sparks rolled his ankle and neeeds 1 game off?

We need a deep squad so we have the ability to make multiple phone calls... I dont think Avery is flying back from his primary job in the mines to play for our WAFL side for 1 week....

The ones that don’t play generally play ammos or country footy. Avery for example has played the whole season at North Freo, so if his primary job is on the mines he’s got a very odd roster.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back