Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 planning for JLT would obviously come down to what building activities are ocurring at the ground at the time. I'd be erring more toward what Mr. Walker has suggested and the AWFL have also expressed interest in the stadium as a playing venue for the womens Bulldogs. Although the old NAB games in Ballarat never pulled a bigger crowd than 8,300. So it might be reasonable to assume that if the second stage involved extending the new Western Stand by 4000 seats then there would still be 5000 established seats available plus the 4000 standing positions on the hill allowing for 9000 capacity during a JLT or AWFL series while building works were underway in a February to May time window.
Fair call. If we can get it up to 30k eventually then i'll be happy. Wonder if there is scope to play more than two games a season there. Maybe it could become our Simonds Stadium of sorts where we play interstaters and low drawing teams there then the bigger teams at Etihad.

From Saturday 18th March, the deck outside the Social Club is nearly finished and the roof frame is being erected.

Last edited:

I am getting a little too excited. The stands are not the only thing getting erected hahahahaha
It is scheduled to be completed by late-May / early-June. It doesn’t seem like a lot of time left if one considers that that is only 10 weeks away.

I somehow think that it will only be the stands that will be complete by then, but they will still be doing other works like fencing, asphalting, landscaping, entrances and signage well into late June.

Last edited:
It is scheduled to be completed by late-May / early-June. It doesn’t seem like a lot of time left if one considers that that is only 10 weeks away.

I somehow think that it will only be the stands that will be complete by then, but they will still be doing other works like fencing, asphalting, landscaping, entrances and signage well into late June.
Possibly. The finishing touches like that will be easy to do and won't need a construction site as such.

The ground hosts its first VFL game at 7pm on Friday 12 May against Williamstown, and another game the following Saturday 20th May at 1pm against Werribee. It is likely that the Social Club terrace and the new eastern terrace and hill would be accessible for those games. The facilities would still be very limited beyond that until the main grandstand is completed. The main grandstand wouldn't likely be opened up fully until late July, in consideration of the fitting out of the media boxes, toilets, electrical fittings, communication wiring, suites and the elevator (which hasn't been installed yet).

Channel 7 and the VFL don't have any televised games scheduled from Eureka Stadium this year, where as when the ABC used to broadcast the VFL games, they used to broadcast live from Ballarat every four weeks. Even the Bulldogs v Power game will only be broadcast from Foxtel.

But! Don't despair Bulldogs Supporters. If you have a Telstra Mobile Account you can stream the broadcast of the match to either your mobile or to a tablet. Being Telstra you don't pay for any of that data as the AFL streamed games via Telstra are 'Unmetered'. All that you need to do is to download the AFL app. I have been streaming the JLT games via my mobile tethered to my tablet (for the bigger picture).

Last edited:
EUREKA STADIUM: Preparations in the new Dogs’ house | Pictures from today's Ballarat Courier

Story by Melanie Whelan and Pictures by Lachlan Bence.

r0_219_4256_2613_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_0_2832_4256_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

THIS will be the biggest football season in Ballarat’s history. This is the season AFL comes to our town for premiership points.

The 2017 AFL premierships season starts tonight with Western Bulldogs to launch their title defence tomorrow night against Collingwood at the MCG – a title defence that will feature Eureka Stadium in round 22.

While the Bulldogs get their play underway, Nicholson Construction director Richard Nicholson has confirmed Eureka Stadium grand stand construction is on schedule for a late-June completion.

Roofing on the western stand is all-but-complete with work to begin in installing the curved polycarbonate feature walls.

Tucked underneath, shells of the media and coaching boxes are showing. This also includes room for the band of official statisticians marking players’ every moves. In the stand’s underbelly, new toilet blocks are in place.

The existing northern stand has been given an overhaul with roofing to be in place soon. Player races remain under construction.

Play will return to Eureka Stadium with a Ballarat Football League match under lights on May 6, but Mr Nicholson said his team was working hard to best accommodate clubs and spectators.

Ballarat mayor Samantha McIntosh said everything was going to plan and it was good for local teams to have a chance to test out the stadium before the AFL arrived on August 19.

Last edited:
That roof/stand looks bloody close to the goals. Can't wait to see the ball go flying over the roof every set shot. (unless they plan on using a net which would suck for fans and their line of vision).

That roof/stand looks bloody close to the goals. Can't wait to see the ball go flying over the roof every set shot. (unless they plan on using a net which would suck for fans and their line of vision).
That stand is designed to eventually have the roof and back removed and to be extended.

Instead of a net ... on the roof they should have a line of those sideshow clowns that catch the ball (worth a supergoal?) and deliver the ball to random crowd members underneath. If the ball comes to you this way you get to keep it.
upload_2017-3-22_19-45-21.jpeg
Not too gimmicky. Think it'll catch on?

Instead of a net ... on the roof they should have a line of those sideshow clowns that catch the ball (worth a supergoal?) and deliver the ball to random crowd members underneath. If the ball comes to you this way you get to keep it.
View attachment 348455
Not too gimmicky. Think it'll catch on?
The way that the AFL keep inventing crap rules it's a wonder that they haven't already thought of it and implemented it yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure but it poses difficulties for this year I'd have thought.
They can erect some sort of temporary net above the roof that wouldn't affect the spectators behind the goals. If the net is attached onto the front of the roof then the ball will just bounce straight down into the spectators or back onto the field.

Last edited:
From Camatic Seating: The seats being supplied to Eureka Stadium are the Alpha Series, which can also be found at AAMI Park Melbourne and various other sites around the world. Colour are yet to be selected and will be in a scattered arrangement. For more information on the Alpha Series information is available on their website ... Camatic Seating Alpha Range

Personally I would like to see the seats in a mixture of three colours ... light blue, cream and light green. That would be neutral but also provide a colourful mix similar to inside Rod Laver Arena. What ever the mix, the colours should be cheery to brighten up Ballarat's dull Winter. That said ... a combination of pink, yellow, red, purple, and mauve (the colours of the city's begonias) must seriously be out of the question!

Last edited:
Personally I would like to see the seats in a mixture of three colours ... light blue, cream and light green. That would be neutral but also provide a colourful mix similar to inside Rod Laver Arena.
As long as they aren't as uncomfortable as the ones inside RLA I don't mind :rainbow:

As long as they aren't as uncomfortable as the ones inside RLA I don't mind :rainbow:
The seats that Eureka Stadium are getting are the same as AAMI Park. There will be a mixture of plastic and padded plastic (for the northern stand similar to what is at the MCG). One thing is for sure, they will be a lot more comfortable than the old wooden benches of VFL Park and the old VFL footy grounds. :thumbsu:

Rebels are white and black. So perhaps a real dark blue and red.
I can't vouch for what colours have been chosen, because Camatic Seating are playing that close to their chest. They say that they don't know what colours have been chosen yet, well that's garbage because the seats are only six weeks away from being installed, and I imagine that 5026 seats have been well and truly ordered from the manufacturer by now.

What ever colours are chosen would have to be club-neutral because the Ballarat City Council own the stadium not the North Ballarat Footy Club (so that rules out dark grey/white/red combinations) and the City Council would want to maximise the appeal of the ground to all users and not turn off prospective users from the local BFL or other community users. Also we need to consider that the ground will also be used as a potential cricket ground. The new Perth Stadium have chosen a seriously bland seating mix of creme and beige in order to make the new stadium more appealing for cricket. Perhaps that was to appease the WACA for the decline of the WACA oval.

For Eureka, I'm going out on a limb and tipping light green and light blue. A concentration of light green on the lower levels with light blue toward the top rows being patterned to look like rolling countryside set against a blue sky backdrop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Back