Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Saint Patricks College Ballarat student designs the Indigenous Round gersey for the Bulldogs:
r0_0_5760_3840_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Agreed. Ballarat games need to be Sunday or during a local league bye week.
Certainly, until they can build the ground bigger and establish better PT access and parking which will give travellers and out-of-towners more confidence and reduced prices to attend games regardless of scheduling. That said, Ballarat is growing relatively rapidly and is on target to overtake Towoomba as Australia's second largest inland city by 2025, it's enjoying growth from many from Melbourne seeking the tree change as well as one-third of the mortgage prices, so the game and attendances can only go from strength to strength.

Certainly, until they can build the ground bigger and establish better PT access and parking which will give travellers and out-of-towners more confidence and reduced prices to attend games regardless of scheduling. That said, Ballarat is growing relatively rapidly and is on target to overtake Towoomba as Australia's second largest inland city by 2025, it's enjoying growth from many from Melbourne seeking the tree change as well as one-third of the mortgage prices, so the game and attendances can only go from strength to strength.
Reduced prices for a fairly large city with a stadium of 10k capacity seems pretty dire to me. I would have thought filling the stadium is pretty important in the scheme of the partnership. To go backwards is a worry in my mind. Of course the reasons have been discussed, but let's face it, if we don't fill or get near full against Port later in the year, that's a pretty bad look.

Got to think long term with Ballarat, we've played there twice, on Saturday against a side with virtually no away support at all. This will eventually give us a broader appeal and is a sound long term investment.

I think the Dogs last year may have over estimated the appeal of Dogs fans going to Ballarat and last year I didn't attend purely based on price $ and the expectation I wouldn't get in due to the hype and the "expected" crowd. A wasted trip up there to be turned away didn't appeal.

I went on Saturday, enjoyed the day, absolutely no problem getting in. I would urge non-attending fans to go up there and not be frightened off.

Stick with this. We've already abandoned Darwin, Canberra and Cairns, give this a chance and persist.

Reduced prices for a fairly large city with a stadium of 10k capacity seems pretty dire to me. I would have thought filling the stadium is pretty important in the scheme of the partnership. To go backwards is a worry in my mind. Of course the reasons have been discussed, but let's face it, if we don't fill or get near full against Port later in the year, that's a pretty bad look.
I suspect that the late Sunday arvo scheduling may impact people travelling from Adelaide, that could be a factor, also the fact that the game is in early August and it will be colder than a 'Mother-in-law's kiss'. But I still maintain that charging the extra premium for tickets into the ground based upon the limitations of its present capacity isn't doing anybody any favors. I am not talking about discounting ticket prices at all, just saying that normal ticket prices and membership access rules should apply. Access to the ground last Saturday was by 'booking only' and yes that rule can still apply while the ground's capacity remains limited, but WBFC Members should not be paying a premium to access the ground, that's a huge turn-off I am sure and would impact attendances. WBFC Members should have the opportunity to attend games there simply on a first-come first-serve basis by booking their seats on-line. I would say that at least 70% of the ground should be allocated to Members including 70% of seats and available standing area which equates to 3588 seats and 4340 for the standing areas that members should be able to immediately book on-line without paying the extra $75 Ballarat add-on fee.

Got to think long term with Ballarat, we've played there twice, on Saturday against a side with virtually no away support at all. This will eventually give us a broader appeal and is a sound long term investment.

I think the Dogs last year may have over estimated the appeal of Dogs fans going to Ballarat and last year I didn't attend purely based on price $ and the expectation I wouldn't get in due to the hype and the "expected" crowd. A wasted trip up there to be turned away didn't appeal.

I went on Saturday, enjoyed the day, absolutely no problem getting in. I would urge non-attending fans to go up there and not be frightened off.

Stick with this. We've already abandoned Darwin, Canberra and Cairns, give this a chance and persist.
Ameet Bains mentioned that last week was a fully ticketed game (ie you couldn't just buy a ticket at the gate) so I presume you booked ahead this year?
Agree we have to give it our best shot. What's the horizon in the business case? I'm expecting 10+ years, not 4-5.

Ameet Bains mentioned that last week was a fully ticketed game (ie you couldn't just buy a ticket at the gate) so I presume you booked ahead this year?
Agree we have to give it our best shot. What's the horizon in the business case? I'm expecting 10+ years, not 4-5.

No, I didn't pre-book, two of us turned up on the day and bought standing room tickets at the gate, in fact many people were buying at the ground. We could have also bought reserved seating. My friend said that he read (our website??) walk up purchases were possible. If our new CEO said otherwise then he was wrong, which is alarming.

What was also worrying was that my friend rang the club on Friday and the person who answered the phone in the membership department didn't know and had to ask. Would have thought all club staff would have been all over this issue.

No, I didn't pre-book, two of us turned up on the day and bought standing room tickets at the gate, in fact many people were buying at the ground. We could have also bought reserved seating. My friend said that he read (our website??) walk up purchases were possible. If our new CEO said otherwise then he was wrong, which is alarming.

What was also worrying was that my friend rang the club on Friday and the person who answered the phone in the membership department didn't know and had to ask. Would have thought all club staff would have been all over this issue.
Agree with those concerns if that's what Bains said. In Bains' defence I might have heard wrong and he might have been talking about last year's PA match or even this year's. However the way I remembered it was he was talking about the GCS match.

Anyway they know they have to get a better crowd next time and I think they will. Turnoffs like the above need to be fixed.

Agree with those concerns if that's what Bains said. In Bains' defence I might have heard wrong and he might have been talking about last year's PA match or even this year's. However the way I remembered it was he was talking about the GCS match.

Anyway they know they have to get a better crowd next time and I think they will. Turnoffs like the above need to be fixed.
That's how I heard it too. The "AFL hasn't ruled out playing AFL games at WO in the future" boat has been floated by Bains on the Cage too apparently.

I haven't listened to the podcast but
If the synopsis is correct and that boat is being floated, and crowd capacity comparisons are being made between WO and Ballarat in that context

Then bouncer, bouncer......in swinging yorker

Lol this was so obviously never going to work im stunned some actually thought it might.

Pre season, VFL, and AFLW is all that should be played there.

No one is their right kind is going to drive 90 mins up the freeway to an even colder place and pay extra to do so. Especicay to watch a team that’s plays sh!t unattractive footy at present.

THEN some think a Sunday afternoon will work better??? Lol honestly it’s so obvious who doesn’t run a business of any kind on here.

Gordon knows this is a turd of a deal and will use it as leverage against the AFL Etihad deal.

I’m willing to bet we get less than the suns crowd against port. But that’s right they had 4000 come over last time ahhahahhhahahahahahahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing to consider could be to request Dogs vs Cats in Ballarat when its our home game for the "country game" and knife the bombers out. It would finally gove us a marquee game (sort of) while we promote Ballarat.

But prehaps it would need to wait when expanded given the current size capacity.

Alternatively we could still play it at the G and use Ballarat as an advantage towards the themed game in the background.

One thing to consider could be to request Dogs vs Cats in Ballarat when its our home game for the "country game" and knife the bombers out. It would finally gove us a marquee game (sort of) while we promote Ballarat.

But prehaps it would need to wait when expanded given the current size capacity.

Alternatively we could still play it at the G and use Ballarat as an advantage towards the themed game in the background.

Sorry to be negative but where do I start with this

1- marquess game with 11000 people?
2- Geelong would never agree to this
3- waiting til 2130 for capacity to be ok
4- afl aren’t pushing bombers out to put us in
5- 95% of members have no interest in this game continuing.
6- I’d rather lose money and have to ask the a for a handout than carry on this farce

Putting aside how p1ssed off I am with the club for gouging members to buy seats to these games, there is one fact that is constantly ignored (spoke to el presidente at a supporter forum in Ballarat 2 years ago). At this stage:
- the alternative to a Ballarat game IS NOT an extra game at Etihad - or even WO
- the alternative to a Ballarat game IS going back to Darwin/Cairns/Canberra

Making the same money and playing in Vic just up the road from Etihad also makes more sense to the football dept, in terms of player welfare and management.

Putting aside how p1ssed off I am with the club for gouging members to buy seats to these games, there is one fact that is constantly ignored (spoke to el presidente at a supporter forum in Ballarat 2 years ago). At this stage:
- the alternative to a Ballarat game IS NOT an extra game at Etihad - or even WO

Making the same money and playing in Vic just up the road from Etihad also makes more sense to the football dept, in terms of player welfare and management.

If it was 2 years ago, is it still Ät this stage"
The has the landscape changed.
- We are now net debt free
- The AFL now owns Etihad and we SHOULD get a better deal there
- Government funds are available to upgrade WO which could easily grow to a bigger capacity than Ballarat

Do you mean not a viable alternative rather than just not an alternative?

Presumably if the game is not played at Ballarat it has to be played somewhere and Etihad must be one of the options.

Interested in the clarification because if it’s just that the alternative is interstate because that’s the only way we could make the same money it’s highlights to me (a) just how bad the Etihad deal must be and (b) Ballarat may be more about escaping a bad deal than getting a good one.

Western Bulldogs announce discounts for members attending August Game in Ballarat:

Western Bulldogs members will have discounted access to the Club’s Round 19 clash at Ballarat’s Mars Stadium against Port Adelaide.

Available now, Western Bulldogs members have access to $5 general admission tickets for the July 29 clash, and can access reserved seats from just $21 (subject to availability).

TO BUY TICKETS NOW: Click here to access the discounted member tickets via Ticketmaster

Reserved seats for Mars Stadium clashes were previously only available through dedicated Ballarat Memberships. “Since our first game in Ballarat earlier this season, the Club has reviewed its ticketing and membership services for Mars Stadium, based on extensive feedback from our members,” said Bulldogs’ CEO Ameet Bains. “We have made a number of changes to ticketing, access for members and accommodation packages to ensure the upcoming Round 19 fixture is more easily accessible for our members and fans. “We look forward to seeing as many fans in red, white and blue in Ballarat on July 29.”

Non-members can access tickets to the match from $25 for general admission tickets, and from $46 for reserved seats for adults.

An early-bird accommodation offer is also available to both Bulldogs members and fans who wish to make a weekend of their visit to the regional city. Accommodation packages including one-night’s twin-share accommodation in Ballarat and two-reserved seat tickets to the match start from just $195.

Western Bulldogs announce discounts for members attending August Game in Ballarat:

Western Bulldogs members will have discounted access to the Club’s Round 19 clash at Ballarat’s Mars Stadium against Port Adelaide.

Available now, Western Bulldogs members have access to $5 general admission tickets for the July 29 clash, and can access reserved seats from just $21 (subject to availability).

TO BUY TICKETS NOW: Click here to access the discounted member tickets via Ticketmaster

Reserved seats for Mars Stadium clashes were previously only available through dedicated Ballarat Memberships. “Since our first game in Ballarat earlier this season, the Club has reviewed its ticketing and membership services for Mars Stadium, based on extensive feedback from our members,” said Bulldogs’ CEO Ameet Bains. “We have made a number of changes to ticketing, access for members and accommodation packages to ensure the upcoming Round 19 fixture is more easily accessible for our members and fans. “We look forward to seeing as many fans in red, white and blue in Ballarat on July 29.”

Non-members can access tickets to the match from $25 for general admission tickets, and from $46 for reserved seats for adults.

An early-bird accommodation offer is also available to both Bulldogs members and fans who wish to make a weekend of their visit to the regional city. Accommodation packages including one-night’s twin-share accommodation in Ballarat and two-reserved seat tickets to the match start from just $195.
This is what it should have been from the start (if not free for members). Hated the double dipping by the club in forcing existing members to fork out the same as the general public.

Haha coz they know no one will go now.

Dud deal from the first minute it was signed.

Will not be a full stadium

Last edited:
This is what it should have been from the start (if not free for members). Hated the double dipping by the club in forcing existing members to fork out the same as the general public.

Port game is also on a more prefered 3.20 Sunday timeslot for Ballarat people. No excuse not to have a filled staduim.

So this is exactly what I have been concerned about from day one.

8 degrees and raining at 3pm on a sunday. We are no good and Port have no supporters.

If we get anymore than 6000 actual people at the game(not the figure the AFL pretend we’re there) I will be stunned.

There is not one attractive reason to go to this game

So this is exactly what I have been concerned about from day one.

8 degrees and raining at 3pm on a sunday. We are no good and Port have no supporters.

If we get anymore than 6000 actual people at the game(not the figure the AFL pretend we’re there) I will be stunned.

There is not one attractive reason to go to this game
Im not so sure about that...Have you heard me barracko_O;)?
I'll be there... barking loud and proud.

Just remember a wet game is a good leveler and the Puffers were beaten by Freo Under 15s 2 weeks back (The two former Port commentators dispelled the myth that their in-game injuries made no difference to the result....that's how poor they were.
Whilst this game is a ladder position definer for the Paer, so was the last two weeks and if Bevo instructs his young tyros to play first to the ball wet weather footy they can win.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Back