Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes they have played us once at Mars and we all know how that ended.

They are 1 from 1 at Mars vs Dogs

After KPD Bruce accidentally ko-ed fellow KPD Keath in the second quarter, then did his knee just after half time, and Bevo pushed pre-2024 Lobb into defence. And no Liam Jones.

We were leading by 29 at half time. A few minutes into the second half we had Gardner and Lobb as our key defenders, and Duryea struggling to hold Green.

It appears that there is only standing room / GA tickets left for the game vs GWS. I went to purchase seats earlier and there was no option to select your own seat, and the best available option never found any seats when I filtered it out to find seats only.

It appears that there is only standing room / GA tickets left for the game vs GWS. I went to purchase seats earlier and there was no option to select your own seat, and the best available option never found any seats when I filtered it out to find seats only.
It was like that a couple of days ago. Not hugely surprising when there’s only 6,000 seats available.

You can sugar coat it as much as you like, the stadium or ground is clearly inadequate for a last round home game to make the finals.

33,000 plus there today, few Kangas fans, play well we do draw crowds significantly bigger than Ballarat holds

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can sugar coat it as much as you like, the stadium or ground is clearly inadequate for a last round home game to make the finals.

33,000 plus there today, few Kangas fans, play well we do draw crowds significantly bigger than Ballarat holds

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure too many would disagree, so who are you arguing with.. the AFL?
I've lived in the greater Ballarat/Golden Plains area for nearly 12 years. Selfishly, I love having 2 games a year 30mins away instead of a 4-4.5 hour round trip. But the alternative is to schedule both Ballarat games early in the season, which is not ideal. Neither is the depths of July. (Yes, I know you'd prefer no Ballarat games, but that's not changing any time soon. I'd have no problem with 11 Marvel - or some MCG! - home games btw.)
However, given the current requirement for 2 Ballarat games, the second game needs to be late in the season logistically. This round (23) would be better - but then we'd likely have an away game last round (possibly interstate). I detest the AFL fixturing and the AFL management in general, but not sure what alternatives there are in the current situation.

Not sure too many would disagree, so who are you arguing with.. the AFL?
I've lived in the greater Ballarat/Golden Plains area for nearly 12 years. Selfishly, I love having 2 games a year 30mins away instead of a 4-4.5 hour round trip. But the alternative is to schedule both Ballarat games early in the season, which is not ideal. Neither is the depths of July. (Yes, I know you'd prefer no Ballarat games, but that's not changing any time soon. I'd have no problem with 11 Marvel - or some MCG! - home games btw.)
However, given the current requirement for 2 Ballarat games, the second game needs to be late in the season logistically. This round (23) would be better - but then we'd likely have an away game last round (possibly interstate). I detest the AFL fixturing and the AFL management in general, but not sure what alternatives there are in the current situation.
Given the size of the stadium, there is no massive benefit in attendance whenever games are played there, however there is a significant impact on Docklands games.

We put ourselves at the mercy of the AFL selling 2 games a year down there but at the very minimum the club should ask for our first 2 and last 2 home games to be at Marvel for the vast majority of our members and supporters to attend. This year the majority have not been able to attend either our first or last home game, and the fact they are often not sell outs in Ballarat it would suggest many are voting with their feet.

Given the size of the stadium, there is no massive benefit in attendance whenever games are played there, however there is a significant impact on Docklands games.

We put ourselves at the mercy of the AFL selling 2 games a year down there but at the very minimum the club should ask for our first 2 and last 2 home games to be at Marvel for the vast majority of our members and supporters to attend. This year the majority have not been able to attend either our first or last home game, and the fact they are often not sell outs in Ballarat it would suggest many are voting with their feet.
Anyone that has wanted to go to Ballarat has been able to go.

Can't disagree with any of that, the benefit is really just the $$$. Club is prioritising that over the broader supporter base. Be interesting to know how much say the club has in when exactly Ballarat games are scheduled.

Can't disagree with any of that, the benefit is really just the $$$. Club is prioritising that over the broader supporter base. Be interesting to know how much say the club has in when exactly Ballarat games are scheduled.

The club has asked for them to be at the start and end of the season to avoid the winter months as much as possible.

The club has asked for them to be at the start and end of the season to avoid the winter months as much as possible.

Sorry, knew that, I meant more in terms of specific rounds. As lachy said, r24 with a finals spot up for grabs would be better at Marvel. But bringing the late season Ballarat game forward still needs to be August, as July should be avoided.

Sorry, knew that, I meant more in terms of specific rounds. As lachy said, r24 with a finals spot up for grabs would be better at Marvel. But bringing the late season Ballarat game forward still needs to be August, as July should be avoided.
Is playing in July that bad if its a 1pm start on a Satutrday or Sunday? We must avoid playing there in the last game of the year.

This year the majority have not been able to attend either our first or last home game, and the fact they are often not sell outs in Ballarat it would suggest many are voting with their feet.
Few, if any AFL games ever achieve 100% capacity at any venue. Truth is that 80% of Ballarat's games have in fact been sold out but always 5-10% of those who book and pay for their tickets simply don't show up (for all sorts of reasons). Truth is that no venue has never filled to exactly 100% capacity with exception of the Grand Final. But for the prices that you pay for a GF ticket, I am pretty sure that most people will definitely make sure that they don't miss the game. ;)

Consider that only 33,000 were at yesterday's game at Marvel with two Victorian teams. It is likely that even if the game had been at Marvel next Sunday, that with GWS' miniscule Victorian support base, that you might only be looking at a crowd of 25,000 at Marvel. Not even enough for the AFL to break even on holding the game there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is playing in July that bad if its a 1pm start on a Satutrday or Sunday? We must avoid playing there in the last game of the year.
It comes down to fixtures and when the Bulldogs are playing interstate teams. The situation is unlikely to change much given that certain games are fixed in stone with the higher drawing teams. They get priority to hold marque games during certain rounds or weekends and everything else in the league fixturing is built around that. When you look at Good Friday weekend, Anzac round, Kings Birthday round, and even the second Saturday in August. The same big teams are aligned to play each other on those rounds. It's no accident that Sydney ALWAYS play Collingwood in Sydney on the second Saturday in August. What does that say?

Consider that the Bulldogs normally play in Ballarat around the fourth round and later in the year anywhere around the last four rounds. Depending upon whether your team is going to be playing a home game against either Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Brisbane, the Suns or GWS in those four-week time windows will determine the dates that you play in Ballarat.

The AFL panic a bit with the weather. Two years ago I was there for a game in April and May and both days were perfect, calm and sunny. Last year in July I think for GWS was perfect too. That’s winter in Victoria, some great days and some bad ones. It’s an outdoor venue, and an outdoor winter sport, we’ve been doing for 170+ years. I’ll be at junior finals on Sunday, the local grounds will be packed regardless of the weather.
On a similar subject I love the accessibility to Marvel, but to be there under a dark roof, closed, on a sunny day outside is ridiculous. Every modern sports stadium in the world with a roof has an opaque roof that adds to the ambience and atmosphere. Our stadium is a dark dank place, football is better outside.

The AFL panic a bit with the weather. Two years ago I was there for a game in April and May and both days were perfect, calm and sunny. Last year in July I think for GWS was perfect too. That’s winter in Victoria, some great days and some bad ones. It’s an outdoor venue, and an outdoor winter sport, we’ve been doing for 170+ years. I’ll be at junior finals on Sunday, the local grounds will be packed regardless of the weather.
On a similar subject I love the accessibility to Marvel, but to be there under a dark roof, closed, on a sunny day outside is ridiculous. Every modern sports stadium in the world with a roof has an opaque roof that adds to the ambience and atmosphere. Our stadium is a dark dank place, football is better outside.
I agree. Ballarat has turned on some marvelous weather for most of its AFL games. I was there in July 2018 when it also unleashed everything except a locust plague. But as you say, it is an outdoor game. The Bulldogs need more outdoor exposure leading into the finals because all of their finals games will be played outdoors. That is of course assuming that they will make the final eight. They are in for a tough game against GWS, while Fremantle are only two points behind and just sitting outside the eight. But at least Fremantle aren't expected to beat Port Adelaide. To my mind next Sunday will be all about whether the Dogs finish 6th or 8th leading into the finals.

If it's forecast to be 19 degrees with a reasonably strong Northerly wind then it's unlikely that you will see any rain until late in the day.
It’s shaping up to be a ripper day at this point. Every time I check the forecast, the rain moves later in the day.

It should be nice and warm in the sun but maybe slightly windy.

I agree. Ballarat has turned on some marvelous weather for most of its AFL games. I was there in July 2018 when it also unleashed everything except a locust plague. But as you say, it is an outdoor game. The Bulldogs need more outdoor exposure leading into the finals because all of their finals games will be played outdoors. That is of course assuming that they will make the final eight. They are in for a tough game against GWS, while Fremantle are only two points behind and just sitting outside the eight. But at least Fremantle aren't expected to beat Port Adelaide. To my mind next Sunday will be all about whether the Dogs finish 6th or 8th leading into the finals.
Yes I was there that evening. They were handing out hand warmers, a great novelty for the kids.

The AFL panic a bit with the weather.
The AFL panic a bit with everything.

That’s why they make so many dumb moves and changes. The only thing they are strategic about is revenue.

Well it appears to be a sell-out, so if any of the 5-10% not turning up want to sell me a ticket I'll take it off your hands! I dithered too much... Just the one
Ta.

Last edited:
Well it appears to be a sell-out, so if any of the 5-10% not turning up want to sell me a ticket I'll take it off your hands! I dithered too much... Just the one
Ta.
So we are anticipating a sea of ♥️ 🤍 💙 with odd smattering of orange?

I've largely avoided paying for tickets in recent years, due to an industry connection. I'm a 30+ year social club member (51 year member, and counting) forking out a 4 figure amount each year for multiple memberships (well kids finally contributing to their own memberships - in part!), and no way I'm paying the additional rort tax to attend Mars.

Btw, I don't recommend this, but I know someone who got into at least one Ballarat game, wearing a red bib they'd 'souvenired' some time previously. Bib looks somewhat like these... 😉

gettyimages-1252899363-612x612.jpg

I've largely avoided paying for tickets in recent years, due to an industry connection. I'm a 30+ year social club member (51 year member, and counting) forking out a 4 figure amount each year for multiple memberships (well kids finally contributing to their own memberships - in part!), and no way I'm paying the additional rort tax to attend Mars.

Btw, I don't recommend this, but I know someone who got into at least one Ballarat game, wearing a red bib they'd 'souvenired' some time previously. Bib looks somewhat like these... 😉

View attachment 2084662
You are missing out. It’s a great atmosphere and being able to see an AFL game and be home half an hour after it finishes is a rare treat for us country supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Back