Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

You are missing out. It’s a great atmosphere and being able to see an AFL game and be home half an hour after it finishes is a rare treat for us country supporters.

Sorry I meant I've largely avoided paying for tickets by sourcing them in recent years through an industry connection. Been to every game, even stood outside the fence on White Ave at the gates to watch the Covid game with no crowds, could only see the southern 2/3 of the ground.
(Got to at least one of the first games with free tickets through Sons of the West participation too. There are ways and means to avoid being rorted...)

Btw, I don't recommend this, but I know someone who got into at least one Ballarat game, wearing a red bib they'd 'souvenired' some time previously. Bib looks somewhat like these... 😉

View attachment 2084662
Can also confirm this works.

A mate could only get a sportsbra version of the bib from some unemployed random flogging stuff on Marketplace, think his name was Dom Norris (?), bloke said he had accidentally found a bunch of them sniffing around for a story in the female locker rooms after a staff touch footy game.

Anyhoo, the key to this working is to not stand out - he also carries a pro-level camera around the boundary so he doesn't get any funny looks. Smart.

blurred.png

Out of interest thought I'd check if any tickets left.... Looks like it's sold out?
Have been a couple of times and the atmosphere is pretty good, on the other hand doesn't seem right to lock out a significant number of fans.

2025 and 2026 game scheduling.

There has been a lot of discussion here about what time during the season is the best time to schedule the Ballarat games. It seems that most don't favour the bookend of the season approach and would prefer the games to be scheduled mid-April to early May and the second to be scheduled between mid-July to early August.

But in consideration of the construction works that are to be undertaken at the ground during 2025-26, it may be a case that the two 2025 games will be scheduled in the first half of the season and 2026 games in the latter half of the season. That would be the likely scenario if the hill is removed in one go to clear the way for the construction of the two new stands.

While construction of the adjacent new athletics centre is likely to commence from February because the intention is to have the new centre completed in time for 2026 competition. Mars Stadium's works are likely to commence a few months later.

If the hill is entirely removed, it is unlikely that they will attempt to host any AFL games until at least one new stand is completed. I am guessing that they will build and complete the left stand first, and as quickly as possible in order to gain back 2500 seats in time for the first 2026 game. By this stage the lower seating section of the second stand consisting of about 800 seats might be completed. The second stand will be likely fully completed along with the redevelopment of the standing area at the southern end together in time for the second 2026 game.

MS2026b.jpg
Impact.jpg

I missed out on a seat. If it is a predicted sunny day standing on the outer wing can be difficult viewing looking into the sun once the sun starts moving to the west. So, I think the forward pocket at on the south west side is probably the go.

What annoyed me, was seeing tickets on resale at jacked prices only hours after release. Those types of people should be perma banned from ever purchasing again. There was a GA listed for $60.

I was looking for a seat initially, but had to settle for standing. Imagine how much more annoyed I was, to see a seated ticket listed for over $100. Double its value. When if scalpers were not allowed to purchase it, it may have potentially been available for genuine fans.

There has been a lot of discussion here about what time during the season is the best time to schedule the Ballarat games. It seems that most don't favour the bookend of the season approach and would prefer the games to be scheduled mid-April to early May and the second to be scheduled between mid-July to early August.

Actual people based in Ballarat, and members who actually attend the game? Or from those who don't care for Ballarat?

Surprised most are saying they prefer both of the games to be closer together, and in the cooler months. I personally prefer them to be spaced out, so I can enjoy a game early, and then have something to look forward to later. Than have both so close together, that they come and go so quickly.

We have been fortunate to have decent weather during most of our games there over the years. But I feel its more down to luck, than it being the rule. I rather walk through a crime riddled suburb at midnight with wads of cash strapped to me, than experience another Ballarat winters day/morning. From my own experiences of footballing in that region of course.

Saturday is scheduled to have some sun, but unfortuately it is looking like it might be raining Sunday when we are playing. Hope those in the GA area on the hill bring some coats.

Last edited:
Saturday is scheduled to have some sun, but unfortuately it is looking like it might be raining Sunday when we are playing. Hope those in the GA area on the hill bring some coats.
Positive is that we have been pretty good in the few wet games we’ve had this year (including IIRC our previous game vs GWS). Happy to stand in the rain for a W 🙂

But in consideration of the construction works that are to be undertaken at the ground during 2025-26, it may be a case that the two 2025 games will be scheduled in the first half of the season and 2026 games in the latter half of the season. That would be the likely scenario if the hill is removed in one go to clear the way for the construction of the two new stands.

While construction of the adjacent new athletics centre is likely to commence from February because the intention is to have the new centre completed in time for 2026 competition. Mars Stadium's works are likely to commence a few months later.

If the hill is entirely removed, it is unlikely that they will attempt to host any AFL games until at least one new stand is completed. I am guessing that they will build and complete the left stand first, and as quickly as possible in order to gain back 2500 seats in time for the first 2026 game. By this stage the lower seating section of the second stand consisting of about 800 seats might be completed. The second stand will be likely fully completed along with the redevelopment of the standing area at the southern end together in time for the second 2026 game.

View attachment 2085276
View attachment 2085292
No please 😭 I can’t handle mid season Ballarat games. Just do it in the second and second last round every year (even though I don’t mind it being there in the last round this year).

1000000950.jpg

Checked out Mars Stadium's condition late yesterday. The surface looks good but I have seen it look better. Clearly new grass has been laid at the northern goal end and a small diamond in the centre bounce area replaced. The field has been freshly painted. They have had a total of about 20mm or rain this month, but the winds should have helped to dry off the surface of the field from its saturated condition a month ago.

The conditions this Sunday are forecast to be partly cloudy during the game with a decent northerly wind. Because the wind will be coming from the North and reasonably strong, there is not a lot to block it except the low rising Sports Club, so goal kicking at that end will be difficult. Expect the scoreboard end to see most of the action. Temp forecast to be 18 degrees with showers later in the day, most likely well after the game finishes.

1000000943.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Ballarat fans, if interested you can meet Bailey Smith and Ellie Blackburn at Stockland Wendouree later today between 4 - 5 pm. Telstra will be hosting a footy stand ball exchange where you can bring in an old footy and trade it for a new one where it will be autographed. A number of Ballarat businesses will be offering food and drink discounts. Go to this link for details: www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ballarat/doggy-deals

Shuttle bus services will be available from 10 am from Ballarat Station and return services will commence from the stadium from 2.30 pm and operate until the area is clear. Parking will only be available in the vicinity of the CE Brown and Northern Ovals and off street. The John Valves site will be completely off limits because it is presently being carved up and fenced off for development.

Last edited:
I’m thinking of pulling the pin for Sunday.

I’m not sure a 5 hour round trip is worth potentially being caught in a severe thunderstorm in a standing room area. The weather forecast appears to be getting worse by the hour.

I’m not sure a 5 hour round trip is worth potentially being caught in a severe thunderstorm in a standing room area. The weather forecast appears to be getting worse by the hour.

Understandable

Saturday seems a good day as Monday but smack bang in middle Sunday is terrible

If you do make the call to pull the pin and wish to sell your ticket, I will very gratefully buy it off you.
I didn’t organise myself early enough and it had sold out by the time I logged in on Monday.

I missed out on a seat. If it is a predicted sunny day standing on the outer wing can be difficult viewing looking into the sun once the sun starts moving to the west. So, I think the forward pocket at on the south west side is probably the go.
It is starting a full hour and 10 minutes earlier than usual, so I think that the sun dropping to the West won't be a factor. The game will be over by 3 pm. I was there earlier today during lunch watching the GWS players familiarising themselves with the ground and there were a small cluster of supporters who weren't from Ballarat who were totally gob-smacked when I told them at the bar that they were allowed to walk out onto the social club terrace from the bistro (No drink glasses allowed but cans permitted) and that they could walk down and stand at the fence (near the player race) and get their favourite players autographs and chat with their players. They were so stoked that Ballarat was so informal. I watched the GWS players reacting the same. They all appreciated it. What a good thing :thumbsu::)

That's how footy should be.

But I will give the final word to an older fella who I overheard chatting with one of the Social Club staff as I was leaving the club yesterday. He said, and I quote: "I umpired for 27 years, and I have seen the ground at Murtoa look better than the condition of that oval right now".

Make of that what you will folks. I have seen the oval in much better condition and yes it does look pretty rough right now. It's evidently been a very wet Winter in Ballarat.

Last edited:

It's like this, if your team win and also make the finals you will kick yourself in the arse for not attending. The storms aren't predicted until later in the day, the damn game will be over by 3 pm. Make of that what you will.

GO!!!!!!! If my team was in your team's position I would crawl over broken glass to be there. Stop being so damn precious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Back