What’s up with Cripps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too excited by any player killing it this season, just like the lack of concern for players struggling. The game has completely changed from what was expected and trained for over players whole careers.

If the games continue to be shortened next season, expect that the good players that are struggling will find a way to work through it. If they go back to 'normal' then the players unexpectedly killing it this season may well struggle again. Won't know until it happens.

Don't read too much into it people, he may be injured or he may just be a victim of changes circumstances. Not going to lose sleep over not winning a flag in this shit storm of a season.

Cripps has it ingrained (regrettably from us being so heavily reliant on him since he burst onto the scene) that he needs to do it all, including burst through tackles, fend offs etc. I’m not saying we have even close to a great midfield now, but others are slowly stepping up which means I think he needs to alter his approach slightly and play smarter football - including to maintain longevity. Focus on deficiencies like set shot kicking because if he’s going to transition and spend more time up forward, then that’s an essential skill.

I think the weekend he was back.

24 disposals, 20 contested - A classic Crippa statline that. He seemed to be moving in the contest more rather than wrestling and didn't bother trying to get slashy on the outside, he stuck to what he does best. He missed the odd handball I'd expect him to make but for all intents and purposes that was the Patty I'm used to seeing.

Last edited:

Cripps seems to be back in town, better game than the last few weeks.

Think he is playing a different role and helping out at the clearances, we need to look after him.

He was better but still not anywhere near his best. Couple of brain fades and seems to be less mentally switched on the assess the situation and do the right thing. He's playing good footy but he's just not hitting that 'elite' level we know he's capable of. Could be mental or could be carrying something I'm certainly not bagging the guy but he has another gear to go to.

Posted this link in another thread before I saw this one...may put his earlier season form in a different light.

Posted this link in another thread before I saw this one...may put his earlier season form in a different light.

This does explain a lot - Cripps hasn’t seemed right above the head and this is very well on his mind - he’s still been a bull with the effort but just not playing with as much confidence but that’s going to be temporary - he’s been waiting six and a half seasons for the Blues to be where we are now - it’s time for him to be the player he was last season and lift us into the Finals - where he belongs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are so fortunate to have someone of Crippa’s quality as the captain of the club - both the person and the footballer. I love that we have no dickheads running around out there and that everyone seems to really enjoy being involved.

This does explain a lot - Cripps hasn’t seemed right above the head and this is very well on his mind - he’s still been a bull with the effort but just not playing with as much confidence but that’s going to be temporary - he’s been waiting six and a half seasons for the Blues to be where we are now - it’s time for him to be the player he was last season and lift us into the Finals - where he belongs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
when smartarse tough guy langer suggests players in the hub "harden up"............this is cripps hardening up the healthy way, the courageous way, not by becoming some emotionless dick but by having real concern for someone he loves who he is being kept away from - we'll never know how many players have told family they'll come home only to be persuaded to stay there and do their job by partners and others......

What I like yesterday is other than one or two early cute kicks, he stuck to what he does best but also seemed to be moving with real intent too (probably helps GC didn't have 5 guys hanging off him).

He was back to his best with some of his deceptively simple but lightning quick handballs to release though. Seen very few players who can release teammates like he can, Judd being one of them. The action seems like a simple gather and release, but the way he does it not only gets it to a teammate very quickly, it catches the opposition off guard.

It's honestly one of the hardest things to comprehend until confronted with it. Like Tourette's it's wildly misunderstood, and comes with a wide variety of negative impacts. I hope she has a strong network in Melbourne to rely on, and Cripps has my full support if he needs to return to Melbourne to support her. Hope with professional help she can learn strategies to cope with the illness.

It's honestly one of the hardest things to comprehend until confronted with it. Like Tourette's it's wildly misunderstood, and comes with a wide variety of negative impacts. I hope she has a strong network in Melbourne to rely on, and Cripps has my full support if he needs to return to Melbourne to support her. Hope with professional help she can learn strategies to cope with the illness.
I have seen it first hand with a close family member.
It can control your life.
Hope she gets the right support she needs, it is a terrible illness but it can be controlled.

I have seen it first hand with a close family member.
It can control your life.
Hope she gets the right support she needs, it is a terrible illness but it can be controlled.
Yeah, thats right. The right professional can really help with techniques to manage the associated anxieties. Cripps partners traits seem on the extreme end, however on the plus side it appears she's had an early diagnosis, so hope she gets the assistance she needs.

so what is up with Crippa's kicking for goal this season?
does not have confidence in his own ability from 50m out.
his accuracy is pre 2019 Casboult like.
It's not just this year, he's never been a good kick for goal - particularly on the set shot.

I think a big problem with his set shots is that damn stutter.

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s up with Cripps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back