What’s up with Cripps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps seems to be at the crossroads right now. A lot of his challenges (including his skill deficiencies) seem to start between the ears. I'm not sure he knows what it takes to win or lead a winning team. He talks like someone who expects success by virtue of his own talents rather than someone who knows how to achieve it.

I would hope that the club puts good mentors around him to show him the way (e.g. Judd). CJ was the consummate pro who simply worked harder than anyone else at his game and fitness and led by example rather than being the loudest voice in the room. I think we, as fans, naturally have similar expectations on Cripps to deliver along the same lines but he's a long way short of the mark in terms of professionalism and maturity.

Right now, I think it could go either way for him. He's still a young man so he has room to grow but he has to be willing to make changes in his thinking.

He got slammed on footy crucified, Lloyd laying into him about his goal kicking and Kornes basically saying he’s crap this year, having no impact.

Mayne's face disagrees with that last part.

Last edited:
The slandering of Crippa on this board and the footy public in general is shocking. Is going through personal stuff with his mrs and is still leading us to the brink of finals. Yes, we had a poor game on the weekend but he’s still a star of the comp.

I didn't know he was having personal issues. Hope his Mrs is ok. Cripps is a champ going through a tough period at the moment. I think he needs to just get back to basics. Seems to me he is overthinking his footy. Maybe that weight of expectations this year for the club is weighing heavily on him. I don't know...

Cripps seems to be at the crossroads right now. A lot of his challenges (including his skill deficiencies) seem to start between the ears. I'm not sure he knows what it takes to win or lead a winning team. He talks like someone who expects success by virtue of his own talents rather than someone who knows how to achieve it.

I would hope that the club puts good mentors around him to show him the way (e.g. Judd). CJ was the consummate pro who simply worked harder than anyone else at his game and fitness and led by example rather than being the loudest voice in the room. I think we, as fans, naturally have similar expectations on Cripps to deliver along the same lines but he's a long way short of the mark in terms of professionalism and maturity.

Right now, I think it could go either way for him. He's still a young man so he has room to grow but he has to be willing to make changes in his thinking.
The worst post I've seen in a long time. To question all you did in that post is astounding to me. I actually no words.

The guy is obviously carrying multiple injuries, but he is a warrior. He wants to lead his troops into battle. Someone needs to step in and take the decision out of his hands. This latest injury is surely the last straw.

Go home Crippa, rest up be with your partner and come back next season and show everyone the champion you are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure there were some of us making this call about 2 months ago - he's been below his best for most of the year, and has certainly looked like he needed a rest. That being said, I'm pretty sure the club did chuck him up forward for almost an entire game a little while back, and we did have a bye.

Maybe he's carrying a niggling injury, maybe he's mentally off his game with the challenges his partner is facing (and by extension, he's facing by not being able to be by her side).

But the problem isn't that Cripps is out of form. The problem is that we don't really have someone with the ability to take his position in the middle and do better than an out of form Cripps. We're also in a transitional period with our rucks, and it's going to take time for our stoppage crew to find their rhythm now that we're rotating a developing TDK through there pretty regularly.

I don't think it's fair to blame anyone for Cripps' current output. Blame everyone. Cripps isn't right and should be prepared to put his hand up and say so rather than thinking he needs to just "man up". The selection committee need to consider whether they need to take the decision out of his hands. His teammates need to pull their fingers out and maintain a higher level of intensity so that Cripps being out of form doesn't cut one of our legs off at the knee.

Tell you what though...if anything was going to motivate Cripps to pull out a season-best performance this week, I reckon getting criticised by Lloyd and Cornes is it.

Hot take.
Jacob Weitering would be better served as captain.
Leadership has gotten the better of Cripps i think. A burden.

get out of here with this crap. hes injured

Shouldn't be playing. If you take the field, you're fair game. Right now, he's hurting the team by continuing to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s up with Cripps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back