What I want to see from Rhys Stanley and Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Aggression !

Both are limp dicks when it comes to making the opposition look around - hopefully HAMILL will sort it out.

I would like to see ROO start taking out the players that fill the hole in front of him. I would like to see Stanley start to play like he is a man rather than a tall skinny scared boy!

well let's just say with respect freak that rhys is our #4 ruck at this point behind mcevoy, kosi and arch. how's he supposed to get a game as anything other than a forward? simple, throw kosi in the ruck and play rhys at the wheel up front that's how!

and i'm just saying freak that the role of a ruck is not what it used to be with the game having had become so fast. every midfielder wants to get the ball or tackle an opponent before they get it and that's a fact.

so it comes down to having hungrier mids and/or the more mobile ruck rather than an out-and-out giant who can without question put it down the throat of an elite midfielder in advantaged positions time after time.

we don't see any ruckmen tapping it to advantage in finals the way it may used to have been and you can read into that what you like freak but it's the truth.

most of those ruckmen mentioned play in teams with shit midfields and their effect on games is minimal.

I see it as something like this -

Kosi could play loose across halfback and through the middle. Man up the opposite ruckman when he comes forward which will free up Big Ben going the other way. Anytime we rebound out of defence there will now be targets other than Roo because of this.

Watters has said that his biggest mantra for this team is flexibilty. Players need to beable to adapt to a game situation rather than just blindly following the same routine. It works really well but routines get figured out and eventually you become predictable.

I would play a forward line of Roo, Wilkes, Siposs, Stanley, Milne, Saad, Schneider, Montagna, McEvoy, Gilbert, Fisher, Cripps, Winmar, Dal Santo, Goddard, Hayes, Markworth, Fisher, Gwilt, Clarke, Polo, Newnes, Webster, Ledger, Crocker, Gram, Steven, Ross, Ray, Peake, Jones, Geary, Milera, Curren, Shenton and Lever. Archer will also get a couple of games after being promoted mid year.

Andreoli, Minchington, Ferguson, Dunell and Staley all need to show something in the first half of the season to try and take that spot from Archer.

Dempster, Blake and Simpkin stay in the backline/tagging but can be used up forward in a pinch. Armo needs to forget about the forward line and focus on the midfield and Kosi is the swingman that pushes forward late to try and take advantage of a tired backline.

How simple is that?

I see it as something like this -

Kosi could play loose across halfback and through the middle. Man up the opposite ruckman when he comes forward which will free up Big Ben going the other way. Anytime we rebound out of defence there will now be targets other than Roo because of this.

Watters has said that his biggest mantra for this team is flexibilty. Players need to beable to adapt to a game situation rather than just blindly following the same routine. It works really well but routines get figured out and eventually you become predictable.

I would play a forward line of Roo, Wilkes, Siposs, Stanley, Milne, Saad, Schneider, Montagna, McEvoy, Gilbert, Fisher, Cripps, Winmar, Dal Santo, Goddard, Hayes, Markworth, Fisher, Gwilt, Clarke, Polo, Newnes, Webster, Ledger, Crocker, Gram, Steven, Ross, Ray, Peake, Jones, Geary, Milera, Curren, Shenton and Lever. Archer will also get a couple of games after being promoted mid year.

Andreoli, Minchington, Ferguson, Dunell and Staley all need to show something in the first half of the season to try and take that spot from Archer.

Dempster, Blake and Simpkin stay in the backline/tagging but can be used up forward in a pinch. Armo needs to forget about the forward line and focus on the midfield and Kosi is the swingman that pushes forward late to try and take advantage of a tired backline.

How simple is that?

There is one massive thing that his relies on, and that's Kosi being quicker and more agile this season. His lighter frame right now would suggest this, but judging by how slow Kosi has been in the past, you just never know.

I want to see Roo anchored at full forward until the last second and then lead if that option is required. Mark the ball in the rectangle. If unable to mark, spoil and our small forwards snapping goals around their bodies.

I want to see Stanley on the wing burning off the opposition with pace, or pulling in the big marks from our now precision kicking defenders. Running down the opposition and laying heavy tackles.

Sorry but I disagree with the whole concept of Rhys as a forward. He is a part time forward only. His number one position is ruck. The reasons are, he doesn't have the skills set to be a permanent forward. He isn't a strong contested mark. Ground ball average.
How many 200cm permanent forwards are there in the game?
Rhys's strengths are, speed and great spring. Two attributes McEvoy doesn't have. I am of the opinion Ben and Rhys are the ideal ruck team. Each rotating through both positions.
Rhys through his whole career has never been a permanent forward. When he was at West Adelaide, he played as number one ruck and occasional forward.
Trying to make Rhys a forward full time is like trying to play Paddy Ryder permanent forward. Paddy, whilst more talented than Rhys, won't be a consistent performing forward. He needs to be rotated through both positions.

Sorry but I disagree with the whole concept of Rhys as a forward. He is a part time forward only. His number one position is ruck. The reasons are, he doesn't have the skills set to be a permanent forward. He isn't a strong contested mark. Ground ball average.
How many 200cm permanent forwards are there in the game?
Rhys's strengths are, speed and great spring. Two attributes McEvoy doesn't have. I am of the opinion Ben and Rhys are the ideal ruck team. Each rotating through both positions.
Rhys through his whole career has never been a permanent forward. When he was at West Adelaide, he played as number one ruck and occasional forward.
Trying to make Rhys a forward full time is like trying to play Paddy Ryder permanent forward. Paddy, whilst more talented than Rhys, won't be a consistent performing forward. He needs to be rotated through both positions.
I don't think he's shown anything as a ruckman and he did a great job filling in at forward when Roo did his hammy.

You asked how many 200cm permanent forwards there are in the game, but how many 200cm guys win sprints? There aren't many and that's why most people think he has a chance to be special because you don't see 200cm guys with that sort of speed.

No problem with your point of view, if you haven't seen anything of him as a ruckmen, then logically you have to argue he is a forward. Our point of difference is, I have seen him more as ruck than forward. When he filled in for Roo, the saints were flying and he played a role in the team structure. He didn't actually play that well.
When I watched Sandy and the game against Essendon last year I thought he looked good in the ruck. Just before he got injured, Sandy played Geelong and I thought he and Vardy had a great duel.

I dont personally see him as either a ruck or a forward. Beg to differ that he showed something in Roo's abscence, thought he looked completely lost out there. Didnt know where or how to lead for the ball..

We were far from flying when he came into the side. We didn't know what to do without Rooey and we were playing some real ugly football, then when Stanley came in he gave us structure and we went on to be undefeated with him in the team. Probably went a bit far saying he was great but he was good out there. What he does against VFL ruckmen doesn't count much for mine, I prefer to go by what they've shown at AFL level.

Guess we're just going to have to wait and see. Who knows we might all be right and he rotates through both positions but with Macca and Kosi set for the ruck I think it's more likely he'll be permanent forward.

There is no way that Rhys is a ruckman for now..

Rhys has stated he prefers playing forward and wants to be tried there.

For the last two years Sandy and Saints have played two styles. They also play on completely different types of grounds. VFL , good old fashioned style grounds, AFL - protected from as much wind and in great nick. Now that there seems to be an alignment between the two teams it gives fringe / potential players an opportunity to play and be accustomed to "the other" teams style of football when given the chance. It also means that when they are brought in they probably wont be playing in an oppoiste role to what they were doing in the other team.

Andrew Walker is the perfect example. After years of being played in positions his heart wasnt in he had a chat to Ratten. They played him forward and he produced a pretty valuable year for the blues. This year he might play some midfield time which he will be ok with because of the confidence he gained. now that his confidence / mind is in a better spot he is more likely to grasp the new role and be more accepting of it , and excel.

Rhys is the same sort of guy - Full of athletic and natural ability but needs to be given a chance fill a role he wants to play.

There is no point the saints thrashing him in the ruck and trading him to another team because he didnt succeed, and for SWFA. Let him grow into the AFL , grow into the Saints, grow some confidence and once he is up and going physically and mentally, he might become the the no2 or no1 ruckman some want him to be. He also might lock down the old Roo postion

If Rhys does not make it in the FWD line this year then he faces an uncertain future. Not that good in the ruck and not that good in the fwd line. He will then have to suck it up and see. He will then just be another player chasing a pay cheque and job at any club he can get to.

This year will be the defining year for Rhys and the chance to make his future

the question's not whether he is good enough.
the question is at what point this season the competition will go:

"Hang on. :confused: The bloody sainters have got another one here. $#@%:mad:"

I dont personally see him as either a ruck or a forward. Beg to differ that he showed something in Roo's abscence, thought he looked completely lost out there. Didnt know where or how to lead for the ball..

I recall the game we played against the Cats in the wet at the G, say Round 14 or so, 2010. Wet night. Rhys didn't do much at all stats wise, but presented all night. The thing that stood out to me was how much attention he drew with him. Because he's quick and tall, he's a tough cover and you'd think more than a couple of defenders would panic and concede a free if they were one on one deep. You'd think Watters and the coaching staff would have settled on a spot for him, more than likely forward. That's where we need new blood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he's shown anything as a ruckman and he did a great job filling in at forward when Roo did his hammy.

You asked how many 200cm permanent forwards there are in the game, but how many 200cm guys win sprints? There aren't many and that's why most people think he has a chance to be special because you don't see 200cm guys with that sort of speed.

He will never be as good as Roo. He will be lucky to be 1/2 as good as Roo.
He should be played in the ruck.
He is 200cm and needs to work on his tank to play a full 4 quarters.
The Saints need to follow the trend of tall lanky Ruck stocks or you might as well put down the glasses and confine the club to the also rans for the next decade.

And when I say trend and not all are lanky some are bussling sized bruisers but they are all young and athletic.

For example: Kruezer, Z Smith, NicNat, Daw, O'Keeffe etc...

This is the trend I say we run with it and chuck him in the ruck. If he can't compete then delist and goodbye. Time to harden up Rhys and give Macca a few breaks on the bench. We already have enough forward line superstars!

Including exceptional tap work, solid shepherds, contested marks, plenty of movement around the ground and a couple of goals.

Rhys Stanley please join the trend of big athletic mobility or go

[youtube]xLu5uwWBMeU[/youtube]

[youtube]3hf_JsG46ss[/youtube]

He will never be as good as Roo. He will be lucky to be 1/2 as good as Roo.
He should be played in the ruck.
He is 200cm and needs to work on his tank to play a full 4 quarters.
The Saints need to follow the trend of tall lanky Ruck stocks or you might as well put down the glasses and confine the club to the also rans for the next decade.

And when I say trend and not all are lanky some are bussling sized bruisers but they are all young and athletic.

For example: Kruezer, Z Smith, NicNat, Daw, O'Keeffe etc...

This is the trend I say we run with it and chuck him in the ruck. If he can't compete then delist and goodbye. Time to harden up Rhys and give Macca a few breaks on the bench. We already have enough forward line superstars!

couldn't disagree more.
lucky to be 1/2 as good as roo? who are you to suggest that?
he should be played in the ruck. um, no he shouldn't thank you.
he is 200cm and needs to work on his tank. he is 200cm and can run out games against 80-90% of the defenders in the AFL at just 21 years of age. imagine what he's going to be in another couple of years.

the man is about to explode on the scene and you're already talking about delisting him. fair dikum you need your head read!

Fair Dinkum. Ruck or bust! If he's as good as you claim then he should be capable of kicking a bag in the forward line and must be just as good to play Ruck? NO? If he can't, oh well he might as well just go bash a few new zealanders on the next footy trip or get cleaned up by the throng of growing athletic talls joining other clubs. You see I don't think this lad has the guts to play a key position except for Ruck, that will be the best education for the lad. Saint Kilda do not need pinup champions in the forward line. We already have three. Roo, Milney & Kosi. This guy Stanley needs to earn his stripes elsewhere on the ground. Throw him into the ruck. If he swims, keep him. If he sinks, ditch him.

He might make a great surfer on the Peninsula. Maybe with his looks he could take up surfing? Maybe he should dye his hair and make it more appealing to the fans? :rolleyes:

I think Phil Davis is a far better footballer than Rhys Stanley. A tonne more guts and ability to read the game too. I would ditch Stanley for Davis any day of the week.

Either Rhys Stanley needs to join the decade club that is the Kruezer, Z Smith, NicNat, Daw, Griffin, Maric, Vickery, O'Keeffe etc...

or he can join "the new athletic ruck club" at another club! LOL

The Saints lose if we can't harden this guy up. Macca needs a rest and he needs someone to have the courage and intestinal fortitude to face the monsters while he is drinking the gatorade to recover and come back on.
He should also run the legs off the monsters like Ganglihands, Cox and Mumford.

Step up Rhys Stanley

This is football

Fair Dinkum. Ruck or bust! If he's as good as you claim then he should be capable of kicking a bag in the forward line and must be just as good to play Ruck? NO? If he can't, oh well he might as well just go bash a few new zealanders on the next footy trip or get cleaned up by the throng of growing athletic talls joining other clubs. You see I don't think this lad has the guts to play a key position except for Ruck, that will be the best education for the lad. Saint Kilda do not need pinup champions in the forward line. We already have three. Roo, Milney & Kosi. This guy Stanley needs to earn his stripes elsewhere on the ground. Throw him into the ruck. If he swims, keep him. If he sinks, ditch him.

He might make a great surfer on the Peninsula. Maybe with his looks he could take up surfing? Maybe he should dye his hair and make it more appealing to the fans? :rolleyes:

I think Phil Davis is a far better footballer than Rhys Stanley. A tonne more guts and ability to read the game too. I would ditch Stanley for Davis any day of the week.

Either Rhys Stanley needs to join the decade club that is the Kruezer, Z Smith, NicNat, Daw, Griffin, Maric, Vickery, O'Keeffe etc...

or he can join "the new athletic ruck club" at another club! LOL

The Saints lose if we can't harden this guy up. Macca needs a rest and he needs someone to have the courage and intestinal fortitude to face the monsters while he is drinking the gatorade to recover and come back on.
He should also run the legs off the monsters like Ganglihands, Cox and Mumford.

Step up Rhys Stanley

This is football

Saint Kilda ???

this is exactly what i had in mind when i started the thread

670493-rhys-stanley.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

What I want to see from Rhys Stanley and Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back