What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was thinking this last night. Would be amazing to watch. West might have been a good option. Who else could run with the sniper all over the ground?

When I saw this headline I thought he meant we should target Greene as a player to get to our club. I thought that's a bit left field haha but anyways. Then I read the article and went 'oh...of course' lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s a gamble, but the Western Bulldogs should target Greene
Wayne Carey

By Wayne Carey
April 22, 2021 — 3.58pm
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
View all comments
Follow all the action from Friday’s GWS Giants-Bulldogs clash with our live blog from 7.30pm AEST
Every good story needs a hero and, of course, a villain. When the Western Bulldogs meet GWS in Canberra on Friday night, those roles are clearly defined.
On the one hand, there’s Marcus Bontempelli, the clean-cut Dogs skipper who is almost universally admired for his talent and the way he conducts himself.
Then there’s Toby Greene.
One of a kind: [PLAYERCARD]Toby Greene[/PLAYERCARD].

One of a kind: Toby Greene.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Advertisement

Every team in the league would have him. But while Greene is clearly respected, he probably doesn’t enjoy the same amount of love from the many opposition players and fans he’s antagonised over the years.
This is a great modern rivalry with a genuine dislike for one another.
It’s continued to grow from the moment the Dogs upset the Giants in that famous preliminary final back in 2016, before going on to win the flag.
It was the elimination final of 2019 that the Giants, and Greene in particular, targeted Bontempelli in a sustained physical attack that quelled his influence.
It was a tough physical encounter in the finals two years ago.

It was a tough physical encounter in the finals two years ago.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Advertisement

Last year in round three, the Giants sent Nick Haynes to the toss – seemingly in a bid to put Bontempelli off his game after he broke Haynes’ larynx the season prior.
The Dogs got revenge in a spiteful encounter that Greene missed due to injury.
It’s unlikely Bontempelli would have forgotten those mind games or the treatment he got from Toby in that final two years ago.
If it’s in his nature, I’d love nothing more than ‘the Bont’ to get on the front foot tonight.
There’s no need for anything outside the rules, but he and his team-mates should get in Toby’s face from the first bounce.
Advertisement

They should block and bump him at every opportunity. After all, he has been the Giants’ barometer in recent matches, even if he was inaccurate against the Swans last week with 1.7.
Before that he booted five goals in consecutive games against Melbourne and Collingwood.
There’s always the danger with a player like Toby, that by going for him you’ll only fire him up more. I’ve seen many a superstar targeted, and many take it as a compliment.
It can sharpen your focus and ignite another level of hunger for the contest.
But (for some) it can also be tiring and distracting.
Advertisement

While Toby might love a scrap, can the Dogs get under his skin enough to draw an undisciplined act and a few free kicks out of him?
Can they shift his focus from the footy, to the fight?
The important thing will be doing it the right way. I’ve always believed you can’t manufacture bravado. Many teams have tried and failed and the good players, like Greene, will see right through it.

During my time at North Melbourne, we were lucky.
Advertisement

You can’t get away with the same intimidation factor now, but if Greene strutted into the forward-line against a ’90s Kangaroos team he’d have one of Glenn Archer, Dani (formerly Dean) Laidley, or Mick Martyn wanting to knock his head off.
They didn’t need any instruction from the coach; it came naturally.
Looking at the Bulldogs’ backline, and even their team as a whole, they don’t really have a natural enforcer.
RELATED ARTICLE
Mark Korda was named Collingwood president on Wednesday.
AFL 2021
‘Rally behind him’: McGuire backs Korda as Pies president
Tom Liberatore is probably one player up for that sort of battle, as we know the Liberatore family doesn’t mind a scrap, but outside of ‘Libba’ the next in line is less obvious.
Advertisement

Still, if the Dogs, as a unit, bring a level of ferocity, at both Greene and the contest, they may just have an impact on how he performs.
It will be intriguing to see where Toby’s head is at.
Named vice-captain at the start of the year, and now captain in the absence of the injured Stephen Coniglio, he seems to be one of those players who thrives in a leadership role.
He’s the type of captain that makes his team-mates walk taller. He’ll also know the Giants will need something special to beat a team that, on paper, is clearly superior.
But will the captaincy affect his thinking?
Advertisement

Will that level of responsibility ensure he feels the need to be more measured and controlled? Could it inhibit his natural aggression and edginess?
Those questions will soon be answered.
Even for the best teams we’ve seen time and time again, if you target those at the top it can send a message to an entire group.
So, who throws down the gauntlet first?

It’s a gamble, but the Western Bulldogs should target Greene
Wayne Carey

By Wayne Carey
April 22, 2021 — 3.58pm
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
View all comments
Follow all the action from Friday’s GWS Giants-Bulldogs clash with our live blog from 7.30pm AEST
Every good story needs a hero and, of course, a villain. When the Western Bulldogs meet GWS in Canberra on Friday night, those roles are clearly defined.
On the one hand, there’s Marcus Bontempelli, the clean-cut Dogs skipper who is almost universally admired for his talent and the way he conducts himself.
Then there’s Toby Greene.
One of a kind: Toby Greene.

One of a kind: Toby Greene.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Advertisement

Every team in the league would have him. But while Greene is clearly respected, he probably doesn’t enjoy the same amount of love from the many opposition players and fans he’s antagonised over the years.
This is a great modern rivalry with a genuine dislike for one another.
It’s continued to grow from the moment the Dogs upset the Giants in that famous preliminary final back in 2016, before going on to win the flag.
It was the elimination final of 2019 that the Giants, and Greene in particular, targeted Bontempelli in a sustained physical attack that quelled his influence.
It was a tough physical encounter in the finals two years ago.

It was a tough physical encounter in the finals two years ago.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Advertisement

Last year in round three, the Giants sent Nick Haynes to the toss – seemingly in a bid to put Bontempelli off his game after he broke Haynes’ larynx the season prior.
The Dogs got revenge in a spiteful encounter that Greene missed due to injury.
It’s unlikely Bontempelli would have forgotten those mind games or the treatment he got from Toby in that final two years ago.
If it’s in his nature, I’d love nothing more than ‘the Bont’ to get on the front foot tonight.
There’s no need for anything outside the rules, but he and his team-mates should get in Toby’s face from the first bounce.
Advertisement

They should block and bump him at every opportunity. After all, he has been the Giants’ barometer in recent matches, even if he was inaccurate against the Swans last week with 1.7.
Before that he booted five goals in consecutive games against Melbourne and Collingwood.
There’s always the danger with a player like Toby, that by going for him you’ll only fire him up more. I’ve seen many a superstar targeted, and many take it as a compliment.
It can sharpen your focus and ignite another level of hunger for the contest.
But (for some) it can also be tiring and distracting.
Advertisement

While Toby might love a scrap, can the Dogs get under his skin enough to draw an undisciplined act and a few free kicks out of him?
Can they shift his focus from the footy, to the fight?
The important thing will be doing it the right way. I’ve always believed you can’t manufacture bravado. Many teams have tried and failed and the good players, like Greene, will see right through it.

During my time at North Melbourne, we were lucky.
Advertisement

You can’t get away with the same intimidation factor now, but if Greene strutted into the forward-line against a ’90s Kangaroos team he’d have one of Glenn Archer, Dani (formerly Dean) Laidley, or Mick Martyn wanting to knock his head off.
They didn’t need any instruction from the coach; it came naturally.
Looking at the Bulldogs’ backline, and even their team as a whole, they don’t really have a natural enforcer.
RELATED ARTICLE
Mark Korda was named Collingwood president on Wednesday.
AFL 2021
‘Rally behind him’: McGuire backs Korda as Pies president
Tom Liberatore is probably one player up for that sort of battle, as we know the Liberatore family doesn’t mind a scrap, but outside of ‘Libba’ the next in line is less obvious.
Advertisement

Still, if the Dogs, as a unit, bring a level of ferocity, at both Greene and the contest, they may just have an impact on how he performs.
It will be intriguing to see where Toby’s head is at.
Named vice-captain at the start of the year, and now captain in the absence of the injured Stephen Coniglio, he seems to be one of those players who thrives in a leadership role.
He’s the type of captain that makes his team-mates walk taller. He’ll also know the Giants will need something special to beat a team that, on paper, is clearly superior.
But will the captaincy affect his thinking?
Advertisement

Will that level of responsibility ensure he feels the need to be more measured and controlled? Could it inhibit his natural aggression and edginess?
Those questions will soon be answered.
Even for the best teams we’ve seen time and time again, if you target those at the top it can send a message to an entire group.
So, who throws down the gauntlet first?
I actually think Baz is perfect for the job. Can run all day, plays on edge but is disciplined enough and would still be able to impact the game.

I don't think we should bother. This current GWS outfit are very young. Would be surprised if they tried to bully us again.
I think it would be beneath Bevo to plan anything like that and it’s not Bont’s style. Libba and Baz, maybe VDM, won’t be backward in coming forward if required. A lot of the original thugs have left or aren’t playing so Grubby and Himmler should just concentrate on their football.

Carey, like Brereton, just wants to see a brawl.

Last edited:
There was a game the year Melbourne were up and about (2018?) when the dogs, well, weren't. They beat us by about 50-60 points at Marvel/Etihad and the scoreline was fairly kind to us from recollection. Think we even kicked the first few goals and it was all downhill from there. Was the first game I'd taken my son to where the dogs lost, and we had some very smug dees fans all around us. Not a fun day.

Edit: yes, 2018 - just checked. 100-51, McDonald kicked four and Hogan five so the KPFs monstered us. Boyd, incidentally, had 1 kick, 3 handballs, 1 mark, 2 tackles and 13 hitouts. No wonder he doesn't have fond memories of that game.

Also, interesting to look at the lineup from that day. Won't list it all but less than ten are in our current best 22 so a fair turnover in less than 3 years.
I reckon Mitch Hannan also played well for the Dees and wasn’t it the game Watts and Bugg had the social media taunt of JJ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Docs surprised me, I only just had him in round 1 due to Croz. But he’s been unreal, such a nice long leg too. Williams, Doc & Croz are all brilliant long kicks, throw in Daniel and Dale who are genuinely too of the best who both take extremely risky options. It’s hard to shut down
He actually played really well his first year for us but then struggled with some injuries.

Seems his new coach is getting the best out of him.

He was best 22 on preseason form after finally going back to the HBF , but you are right Not best 22 in Bevo’s eyes, Scott somehow overtook him On the HBF before Scott was shifted to the fwd line. Richards out of form is still an upgrade on Scott’s best but Bevo treats the more gifted players harder. Maybe he is trying to prove a point to them and make them more complete players, but there is a risk we could lose a couple of stars and retain VFL standard battlers
There’s risk we get the best out of them and we end up on top of the ladder

Yep it’s fair comment. If a show is not enjoyable then people will (and should) switch off. So if they want listeners then they need to tidy up the listenability. It can still be fun (just ask Roy and HG).

It’s unfortunate but inevitable that there are very few dedicated Bulldogs shows/casts so we don’t have a wide range of choices.
I find Roy and HG so predictable in their humour only slightly funnier than the Coodabeens but humour is funny thing for want of a better word different things appeal to different people

I want to see Lipinski right in the guts. Sadly he will need to wait a little longer.
Nothing sad about a good player not playing in his best position because we have better players in that position

I want lippa to stay but great sides lose good players that’s just reality, I thought Ellis was excellent for GC last week

I tend to agree but with both Roughead and before him Jones it seems to me thatwe tried them both in defence and it didn't work well (both looked a little slow (memory fuzzy on jones) but when they went to another club they performed better. something amiss with our development or did need result in them being given longer to adjust?
Rough was constantly injured post 2016 he really did seem broken

Sometimes its simply a change of scene

Btw our developement seems to have worked well with Doc considering where he came from

Bailey Dale is the best kick in the comp, kicking 19.1% above expectations (based on difficulty of the kick). Big gap to second with Hunter Clarke at 13.5% and third with Duryea at 13.2%.

The Herald Sun video linked in that article has a bunch more interesting stuff
  • -3% to 3% is about the AFL average, when you start getting +/- 3-5% you're considered noteworthy either good or bad. +19% is massive. The worst player is Darcy Byrne-Jones going at -10.8%. Macrae is mentioned somewhere between +7-9%.
  • The Bulldogs have 7 players in the midfield or half back that are above +5%.
  • Our team overall on kick rating is 1st. WC 2nd, Sydney 3rd.
  • With kick ratings of just shots at goal, West Coast have 3 of the top 6 (their 3 key forwards). Aaron Naughton is the 3rd worst in the comp at -9.9% (behind Gulden at -17% and Hawkins at -14.2%)
  • On a ladder of "without the footy" metrics, which is a combination of opposition scores per inside 50, how easily they transition against you, winning the ball back between the arcs, and pressure rating; the dogs are 2nd on the ladder behind Melbourne. They are the only two teams to be doing well in every one of those areas. All the other clubs have at least one area of weakness in that list.

Bailey Dale is the best kick in the comp, kicking 19.1% above expectations (based on difficulty of the kick). Big gap to second with Hunter Clarke at 13.5% and third with Duryea at 13.2%.

The Herald Sun video linked in that article has a bunch more interesting stuff
  • -3% to 3% is about the AFL average, when you start getting +/- 3-5% you're considered noteworthy either good or bad. +19% is massive. The worst player is Darcy Byrne-Jones going at -10.8%. Macrae is mentioned somewhere between +7-9%.
  • The Bulldogs have 7 players in the midfield or half back that are above +5%.
  • Our team overall on kick rating is 1st. WC 2nd, Sydney 3rd.
  • With kick ratings of just shots at goal, West Coast have 3 of the top 6 (their 3 key forwards). Aaron Naughton is the 3rd worst in the comp at -9.9% (behind Gulden at -17% and Hawkins at -14.2%)
  • On a ladder of "without the footy" metrics, which is a combination of opposition scores per inside 50, how easily they transition against you, winning the ball back between the arcs, and pressure rating; the dogs are 2nd on the ladder behind Melbourne. They are the only two teams to be doing well in every one of those areas. All the other clubs have at least one area of weakness in that list.
Anyone know where Hunter sits on that scale. He gets a lot of stick here for his kicking.

Phhttttt!

The beating I want us to give GWS is on the scoreboard. A nice 10+ goal win with them capitulating, like they do, and kicking about 3.5 for the entire match.

Let Greene preside over that as captain. The media can then kick them all week while their down.
Yes, also no injuries and NO SUSPENSIONS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back