What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would too, unless we can get a first rounder for him (unlikely), but here's a hypothetical:

What if Naughton has a week off soon with a minor injury and Schache comes in to replace him and kicks 7 or 8? How do we shape the forwards the following week?

Bruce won't be dropped. Do we play 3-4 talls up forward? Do we send Schache back to the Twos?

None of them are defenders apart from Naughton and I think the debate about sending him back to defence is now over. So do we play Timmy as a defender instead of a forward?

And then to make it even more difficult, what if JUH kicks 7-8 goals in the VFL the same week?
All these hypothetical's could happen, I thought Timmy could absolutely could play down back in Gardner's absence, but have you seen his leading patterns of late, he must stay up front. 🤘

In addition Schache or Mirra could kick a bag, and these are all great problems to have. I'd rather these problems than what we had a couple of years ago when we had key big man shortages.

I just want to praise Sammy Powers for help developing this list we have now. (Mirra was a gift but Sammy made trades to make sure we had draft capital to not go into any deficit)

The doggies are currently built for a long finals tilt with this young list, I 100% trust Sammy will continue to trade and shape our list to give us a chance at multiple premiership cups.

Mick McGuane’s top five recruits of 2021 so far and those that need to lift
Mick McGuane is a fan of Adam Treloar’s work, but has four other recruits ahead of him — including a surprise at number two. Check out his list.

Mick McGuane
April 22, 2021 - 8:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../4cbbaac7fb32ca5f37a40953871c3129#share-tools

A bumper AFL trade period last October saw some stars change their stripes.

But some less heralded names have proven to be some of the best recruits so far this season.

Mick McGuane ranks his top-five recruits so far this season – and names those recruits that need to lift.

MICK MCGUANE’S TOP 5 RECRUITS AFTER ROUND 5

1. Aliir Aliir (Port Adelaide)
Unquestionably the recruit of the year to date, both because of his output and what he has added to the team.
My concerns over Port Adelaide last year, was that they were one key defender short to play on the opposition’s best power forwards.
He has provided stability and creativity to the backline.

He ranks above average in one-on-one contests, is a strong intercept player, is composed with the ball and is mostly, a good decision maker.
The former Sydney Swans’ performances have created a healthy internal pressure for spots - forcing Trent McKenzie out of the team, placing constant pressure on Tom Clurey to perform and his inclusion has also allowed Tom Jonas to play a greater intercepting role.
The Power, in their 150th anniversary year as a club, can win the 2021 premiership.
The Aliir trade might just be the reason why.

2. Stefan Martin (Western Bulldogs)
This ranking is not so much based on Martin’s individual performances this year, but what he has done for the Bulldogs as a team.
Martin has not improved on his output for Brisbane last year, but he has plugged the biggest hole for the Bulldogs which was a lack of a competitive ruckman.
It was a risky decision to secure his services, due to his age (34 years old) and back issues.
But it’s proved a wise and compelling trade.
He has taken the majority of the ruck contests in the four games he has played which has allowed Tim English to spend more time as a forward.
By recruiting Martin, the Bulldogs have essentially created their own version of the West Coast forward line of Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling and Oscar Allen in the form of Josh Bruce (17 goals), Aaron Naughton (11 goals) and Tim English (9 goals).
[PLAYERCARD]Stefan Martin[/PLAYERCARD] up against his former club, Brisbane, in Round 4. Picture: Michael Klein

Stefan Martin up against his former club, Brisbane, in Round 4. Picture: Michael Klein

3. Orazio Fantasia (Port Adelaide)
This was a gutsy call by Port Adelaide, but a good call.
There were concerns about Fantasia’s body, given he could not string together long runs of games at Essendon.
However, he hasn’t missed a beat for the Power so far this season and is delivering some of the best form of his career.
Fantasia has never been a high possession winner.
He has a great ability to find space and because of this he is winning more uncontested football and is involved in more scoring chains than ever before.
His speed causes chaos for opposition defences and he’s averaging career-high numbers for goals (2.2 a game) and score involvements (7.6 a game).
He also brings an infectious energy to the team.
His goal celebrations help lift team morale and helps generate great enthusiasm to the whole group.

4. Nick Hind (Essendon)
When it comes to Moneyball recruits, Hind just about tops the list.
The Bombers gave up pick 67 and moved three spots back with their pick 74 in exchange for Hind, who has filled the void left by rebounding half-backs Adam Saad and Connor McKenna for a fraction of the cost.
Used as a small forward at St Kilda, Hind has had far greater impact down back, with his speed and ability to run and carry the ball.
His ball use is good and he ranks above average for metres gained at 464m per game — more than what Saad averaged for the Bombers last year.
Defensively, Hind is also very capable.
He has had big jobs on players such as Luke Breust, Orazio Fantasia, Dan Butler and Tom Papley this year — and come out on top.
Hind rates above average for one-on-one contests and elite for both intercepts and pressure.

5. Adam Treloar (Western Bulldogs)
I have to eat humble pie on this one.
Salary cap issues aside, I thought Collingwood moving on Treloar was the right decision.
However, the 2021 version of Treloar has been significantly better than the 2020 version, the Bulldogs having struck gold.
He has accepted his new primary role at the Bulldogs and hasn’t he blossomed because of that.
Finding the footy has never been an issue for Treloar, but his ball use at Collingwood — especially in 2020 — was questionable.
His outside game has returned and his scoreboard impact has never been greater.
He is averaging a goal a game (up from 0.1 goals a game in 2020), and 7.4 score involvements (up from 4.2).
A contested ball winner at Collingwood, Treloar does not looked as banged up in his new outside run-and-carry role.
Mick McGuane has [PLAYERCARD]Adam Treloar[/PLAYERCARD] as the fifth-best recruit of 2021 so far, behind teammate [PLAYERCARD]Stefan Martin[/PLAYERCARD]. Picture: Michael Klein

Mick McGuane has Adam Treloar as the fifth-best recruit of 2021 so far, behind teammate Stefan Martin. Picture: Michael Klein

NOT FAR BEHIND …
No one knew what we were going to get from Joe Daniher this season, after he had played 15 games in three years at Essendon.
But full credit to him and the environment at the Brisbane Lions which has seen him thrive.
We are already seeing a version of Daniher that looks a lot like his 65-goal season in 2017 and he can only further improve with the return of Daniel McStay to create a three-tall forward line alongside Eric Hipwood.
Adam Saad has brought great energy and bounce to Carlton’s defence but there is still room for improvement defensively.
His first half against Collingwood is an example of that.
Lachie Fogarty has been a shining light in attack for the Blues since crossing from Geelong, with his ability to win critical contests and his elite tackling as a pressure forward.
Tom Hickey has resurrected his career at a fourth AFL club at Sydney and has been a catalyst to reinvigorating the Swans with his follow-up work and ability to push forward and impact on the scoreboard.
WATCH THIS SPACE
Jaidyn Stephenson was predominantly a forward at Collingwood, but is spending 50 per cent of his time up the ground for North Melbourne this year and is working to add another layer to his game.
St Kilda recruit Brad Crouch has always been a high possession winner and his defensive efforts this year have been better, and will only benefit from the returns of Paddy Ryder and Rowan Marshall in the ruck.

JURY’S STILL OUT
Carlton recruited Zac Williams to be a bona fide midfielder, but he still needs to get fitter to improve his post-clearance defensive efforts.
Inside the contest is not his problem, but when you have walkers out of stoppage in defensive transition the Blues become susceptible to being scored against.
Peter Wright is playing a new role at Essendon, spending 70 per cent of his time in the ruck this season in the absence of Sam Draper.
But the Bombers rank 17th in the competition for clearance differential.
Can Wright have a say in turning that around?

UNSEEN
A trio of key forwards highlight the list of recruits we are yet to see — Jeremy Cameron (Geelong), Ben Brown (Melbourne) and Jesse Hogan (GWS).

From today's Hun:

Rival clubs are eyeing-off speedy Western Bulldogs defender Ed Richards.
The Bulldogs have an embarrassment of riches in the midfield and back half where Richards has showed plenty of promise playing 58 games in the past three seasons.
But rivals have identified Richards as a potential trade target and are set to zero in on the 21-year-old when he returns from a serious ankle injury next month.
The 188cm Richards, who broke his fibula in a VFL practice match and underwent surgery in mid-March, is on track to resume playing in three to five weeks.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Rival clubs are interested in Bulldog Ed Richards. Picture: Michael Klein

Rival clubs are interested in Bulldog Ed Richards. Picture: Michael Klein
The Dogs were arguably the biggest winner in last year’s exchange period, adding Collingwood star midfielder Adam Treloar and former Brisbane ruckman Stef Martin to bolster their premiership tilt.
But after a red-hot start to the season, rivals are looking at the unbeaten Dogs’ list in an attempt to pick off quality players looking for more senior opportunities.
The Dogs will shoot for their sixth-straight win of the season against Greater Western Sydney tomorrow night at Manuka Oval in Canberra.
Richards is widely seen as a ready-made prime mover who could add some linebreaking speed and run-and-carry to the back half.
He is out of contract at the end of the year and could hold off on a decision on his next deal until later in the season when it becomes clearer where the forgotten man stands in the Dogs’ pecking order.
The Dogs are stacked with options in his position including Norm Smith Medalist Jason Johannisen, All-Australian Caleb Daniel, high-flyer Hayden Crozier, Bailey Dale, who would be high up in the best and fairest, as well as clutch of newcomers.
Since last season the Dogs have added Treloar as well as Lachlan McNeil and Anthony Scott to beef up their running game.
Adam Treloar (middle) and Anthony Scott (right) have been added to the mix. Picture: Darrian Traynor/AFL Photos/Getty Images

Adam Treloar (middle) and Anthony Scott (right) have been added to the mix. Picture: Darrian Traynor/AFL Photos/Getty Images
The Dogs rate Richards, who is the grandson of Collingwood legend Lou Richards, and have no plans to lose the man they drafted with pick No. 16 in the 2017 draft.
He made a big impact quickly playing 21 games in his first season, but he could have a big decision on his hands, if as expected, he is targeted by other clubs in the back half of the year.
Johannisen, who is contracted until the end of next season, could also attract some nibbles after he was dropped to the VFL for the season-opener against Collingwood.
Richmond is one club which could look for a Bachar Houli-replacement at season’s end, while Melbourne could assess the market for a player to take over from Michael Hibberd after last year missing out on Geelong’s Isaac Smith.
Essendon remains keen on star Western Bulldogs hard nut Josh Dunkley after a deal for the onballer fell over in last year’s trade period.
The lack of accountability in sports media ****ing shits me.

Don't get me wrong, this article is probably true. But there's no quotes, no allusions to sources, hell, not even any mention of having spoken to anybody from another club.

It is embarrassingly easy to look up a high draft pick in a good side who's not currently playing, and then write up shit articles like this one that say absolutely nothing but at the same time allude to ominous signs with absolutely no supporting evidence.

Ed Richards started this season in exactly the same position as Jason Johannisen, the only difference was that Richards picked up a serious injury. Richards very easily could have been in the team earlier than JJ, or be playing right now at somebody else's expense - we have absolutely no idea.

**** 99% of sports journalism.

It’d be more fun if you could hear people talk. Also- I’m exceedingly relaxed. Doesn’t mean I can’t comment on when content is low quality
It's better without that original guy with Bob, he talked over everything non stop.

It’d be more fun if you could hear people talk. Also- I’m exceedingly relaxed. Doesn’t mean I can’t comment on when content is low quality
Yep it’s fair comment. If a show is not enjoyable then people will (and should) switch off. So if they want listeners then they need to tidy up the listenability. It can still be fun (just ask Roy and HG).

It’s unfortunate but inevitable that there are very few dedicated Bulldogs shows/casts so we don’t have a wide range of choices.

Wallis, Richards, Dunkley, JJ, Lipinski ... there could be more.

Not all will leave of course but it's only to be expected that other clubs will be trying to prise some of these players loose.

I think it's a good thing.

Firstly it shows we are strong side and we're flying. No secret there of course but it means there is strong competition to get into the seniors and some players who would normally be automatic selections really have to be on their game to get picked (and if they're not the theory goes they'll be disaffected and seek opportunities elsewhere).

Secondly it means that players like JJ, Richards, Wallis, Lipinski and others have to work really hard on the track and maintain high intensity during matches to make the most of their chances when they come. This can only be a good thing and the rising tide will lift all the boats, not just these players.

Thirdly, we find out how committed some players are to the club. I know dollars are important and it's their profession but there are some journeymen in the AFL who are just picking up dollars late in their career at other clubs... *cough* Saints *cough*. We can be comfortable that those who are courted but decide to stay, especially if they are outside the 22, have a somewhat deeper commitment to the club and to what we're doing. Perhaps they are hoping to stay to be part of the ultimate success.

Fourthly, if some list losses are inevitable we are in a strong position to decide which ones we want to let go and which ones we want to prioritise. This is in contrast to being a feeder club like we were in the 70s and 80s. It might even make some of the tough calls a bit easier and less rancorous toward the end of the season ("Jason / Mitch / Patty we need to have a conversation ...")

Fifthly, the loss of a well-paid senior player that is not a top priority to retain will help us with salary cap balancing with an eye to some of the big re-signings that need to happen over the next two years.

Finally, we are in a position to improve our trade/draft currency with the returns we get on these players. Being in a position of relative strength we can negotiate to get the currency we need to fill those last few holes on the list.
What I failed to mention there (though implied) is that we need to get our heads around the idea of losing one or two players who are best 25 or so.

I know there will be some hand-wringing and it will be sad if it’s a club stalwart like Wallis or a lifelong supporter like Lipinski but we need to be hard nosed about it. (I haven’t given up on those two BTW, they are just hypotheticals.)

The key point is that any such losses shouldn’t hurt us unduly. Instead we should be able to turn it to our advantage and become even stronger.

What I failed to mention there (though implied) is that we need to get our heads around the idea of losing one or two players who are best 25 or so.

I know there will be some hand-wringing and it will be sad if it’s a club stalwart like Wallis or a lifelong supporter like Lipinski but we need to be hard nosed about it. (I haven’t given up on those two BTW, they are just hypotheticals.)

The key point is that any such losses shouldn’t hurt us unduly. Instead we should be able to turn it to our advantage and become even stronger.
Of all those players mentioned I would suggest that Lipinski has the most upside and like another bulldogs supporter (roughy) it could bite us on the bum if we traded him-his only weakness imho is his lack of pace, but we have plenty of other speedy players
Loved his 60 metre (unsuccessful) chase on the weekend!

The lack of accountability in sports media ******* shits me.

Don't get me wrong, this article is probably true. But there's no quotes, no allusions to sources, hell, not even any mention of having spoken to anybody from another club.

It is embarrassingly easy to look up a high draft pick in a good side who's not currently playing, and then write up sh*t articles like this one that say absolutely nothing but at the same time allude to ominous signs with absolutely no supporting evidence.

Ed Richards started this season in exactly the same position as Jason Johannisen, the only difference was that Richards picked up a serious injury. Richards very easily could have been in the team earlier than JJ, or be playing right now at somebody else's expense - we have absolutely no idea.

fu** 99% of sports journalism.
Three weeks ago the same article was written about JJ

Of all those players mentioned I would suggest that Lipinski has the most upside and like another bulldogs supporter (roughy) it could bite us on the bum if we traded him-his only weakness imho is his lack of pace, but we have plenty of other speedy players
Loved his 60 metre (unsuccessful) chase on the weekend!
I don't really think losing Roughead has bitten us at all. In our system, he'd have been no better than Gardner, Young or even Cordy tbh. He's a better fit for the Pies, but offers nothing we don't already get from Keath. I do agree that I wouldn't want to lose Lipinski though. He's really impressed me this year with his efforts, especially defensively. It's far from a strength, but it seems to be something he's really worked on since last year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really think losing Roughead has bitten us at all. In our system, he'd have been no better than Gardner, Young or even Cordy tbh. He's a better fit for the Pies, but offers nothing we don't already get from Keath. I do agree that I wouldn't want to lose Lipinski though. He's really impressed me this year with his efforts, especially defensively. It's far from a strength, but it seems to be something he's really worked on since last year.
I want to see Lipinski right in the guts. Sadly he will need to wait a little longer.

Hey Dogs Fans,

On our blog we analysed how the Bulldogs are effectively using Josh Dunkley around stoppages as well as his AA form to start the 2021 season.

https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/04/21/ftp-5/

Would love to hear your thoughts on his year so far

I tend to agree but with both Roughead and before him Jones it seems to me thatwe tried them both in defence and it didn't work well (both looked a little slow (memory fuzzy on jones) but when they went to another club they performed better. something amiss with our development or did need result in them being given longer to adjust?

I love Bob, Easton and the dogs but I have to admit it is a tad difficult to listen to with them always talking over each other.

It's probably been mentioned, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the Dyl & Friends podcast. I have only listened to the Caleb Daniel ep but I loved it.

I love Bob, Easton and the dogs but I have to admit it is a tad difficult to listen to with them always talking over each other.

It's probably been mentioned, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the Dyl & Friends podcast. I have only listened to the Caleb Daniel ep but I loved it.
Dyl & Friends is brilliant, best podcast in the AFL IMO. Not always super serious but I love the battler/list clogger aspect to it (which is why listcloggers podcast with Dyl/Dan Gorringe is flipping brilliant) super relatable I guess

Can't bring myself to listen to that filthy sniper.

I tend to agree but with both Roughead and before him Jones it seems to me thatwe tried them both in defence and it didn't work well (both looked a little slow (memory fuzzy on jones) but when they went to another club they performed better. something amiss with our development or did need result in them being given longer to adjust?

From what I recall, Macca tried Jones in defence just the once against Adelaide. It may have been the only time Macca actually tried anything resembling a dice roll in his time as coach.

It was disastrous and cost us the game.

Obviously Jones was thrown in the deep end in that game and it's not something we ever seriously invested in. And from what I understand, he was going poorly as a forward at Carlton before they made one last ditch effort to save his career and actually trained him as a defender, which ended up working out for him and them.

Roughie was our KPD in a time when every tall forward absolutely killed us. Every. Think Majak kicking 6 and Carlisle kicking 8. Bev came in and, as he does, envisioned something different. I think though Roughie's success at his position now is probably simply due to age and experience. Essentially was 5 years between him playing as a defender for us and for Collingwood.

Just have to give Collingwood credit for identifying him as a piece for their backline, when he hadn't played that position in years, and was routinely well beaten when he played it in his early career.

Great piece. Shows you know about the game. well done and send more if you can.

Thanks mate. I recommend checking out our other articles if interested - we have some good discussions on a range of players and teams.

If you're looking for Bulldogs content - we discussed the contrasting styles within the Bulldogs West Coast game in week 2

https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/03/31/ftp-2/

This is brilliant by the club/council. Much needed investment in better community sporting facilities in the west, particularly Braybrook which is such a pivotal area in our history.

We used to occasionally train there/hold preseason matches there in the old days too didn't we?

The 89 fundraiser between the old Dogs and old Magpies was played there.

I think VFL games played there during the war. Pretty sure preseasons were there in the Footscray Cricket Club era playing at Western Oval as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back