What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

i prefer Cody does not put the mayo on getting frees. Most of them were frees without the extra theatrics. The more press on it the less frees he will get.
Getting coat hangared at speed or shoved in the back is what creates the so called theatrics.

The 'press' have been banging this same drum about Cody since the day he stepped on the scene.

Yet here we are.

Instead of Clarkson making oblique reference to Weightman. Perhaps he could do his actual job and work out a viable strategy to counter him in a way that will not draw the umpires attention to them like flys on shit. Because the one they trot out every meeting of trying to physically intimidate Weightman is not working.

Getting coat hangared at speed or shoved in the back is what creates the so called theatrics.

The 'press' have been banging this same drum about Cody since the day he stepped on the scene.

Yet here we are.

Instead of Clarkson making oblique reference to Weightman. Perhaps he could do his actual job and work out a viable strategy to counter him in a way that will not draw the umpires attention to them like flys on shit. Because the one they trot out every meeting of trying to physically intimidate Weightman is not working.

Exactly. I’ve never seen the faux tough guy routine work in curbing Cody. He thrives off it and it invariably works in his favour when it inevitably crosses the line into infringement/stupidity.

Yet here we are.

The Sunday Footy Show panel 🤮 (I record and fast forward all but the Dogs’s content) all agreed the frees were there and that Clarko should look at his own backyard of frustrated defenders.
They showed each of his three frees (say that quickly) and they were clearly there. They didn’t show the Corr massive shove and that was a 50 to Treloar, not Cody’s free.

The Sunday Footy Show panel 🤮 (I record and fast forward all but the Dogs’s content) all agreed the frees were there and that Clarko should look at his own backyard of frustrated defenders.
They showed each of his three frees (say that quickly) and they were clearly there. They didn’t show the Corr massive shove and that was a 50 to Treloar, not Cody’s free.
Most comments I have read and heard said that the free kicks were there, even Kane.

Robbo is just pissed because of the frees that went against Essendon on Saturday.

Bevo on 360 tonight, hopefully takes Robbi to task on this. All frees were there, Norf are faux tough and very agricultural but let’s blame Cody.
Have another drink slobbo

However you feel about him, one thing you can guarantee with Bevo is he won’t stand for bullshit criticism of his players.

He's not a good loser Clarko. The frees that were paid were definitely there and so were the ones on JUH, Naughts and Darcy that weren't. They seemed to play the hair a lot.

Anywho, I'm glad they did what they did. I feel it only serves to sharpen the focus and the knife for the next game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was one tackle in particular where Cody seemed to be a recipient of a WWE take down. The target on his back was quite easily seen. He stuck it up 'em indeed!

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What parallel universe have I been teleported to where I'm (briefly!) actually acknowledging and in full agreeance with the wannabe fireman?!

I mentioned it in the game day thread, but sitting there at Marvel on Saturday listening to how Weightman is in the heads of Norffff supporters, and obviously players and coach as well, is a lot of fun.

I'm concerned for the long term impact on Cody's health though, taking head high contact, but pushing the ball ahead of you rather than take possession, when running full pelt, knowing the spud chasing you is going to interfere physically and concede a free, is not 'milking', it's just smart footy.

Weightman certainly used theatrics in his early career, but that's gone, he puts his head over the ball whenever it's required, and is just a very good player. North defenders just aren't skilled enough to beat him outright, so are forced to infringe as their only resort.

Clarkson, Archer, etc can EAD.

Hopefully Weightman kicks a bigger bag in r23. With more goals from cleverly enticing oppo hacks to infringe against him. 👍

Making it to AFL level as a small forward is no mean feat. Among all footballers that do or have recently pulled on the boots at any level from park stuff upward, you have to have a few tricks around goal and around the ball, because that's the way you differentiate yourself as a player as opposed to just being born with physical gifts of being tall (even in a relative sense, ie, being six foot) or having great running capacity. It's been developed since junior footy and it annoys a lot of people, even though being cunning and winning free kicks and knowing how to manipulate space and possession is how every small forward in the league made it to AFL level in the first place.

Making it to AFL level as a small forward is no mean feat. Among all footballers that do or have recently pulled on the boots at any level from park stuff upward, you have to have a few tricks around goal and around the ball, because that's the way you differentiate yourself as a player as opposed to just being born with physical gifts of being tall (even in a relative sense, ie, being six foot) or having great running capacity. It's been developed since junior footy and it annoys a lot of people, even though being cunning and winning free kicks and knowing how to manipulate space and possession is how every small forward in the league made it to AFL level in the first place.

I don't disagree on the gist of your post, but until this year, I wasn't convinced Weightman was a 'small' forward. He played more as a medium, particularly his frustrating habit of flying against talls in the vicinity. I suspect (hope!) he's been coached to restrict his leaps to outright opportune and higher percentage plays, and use the substantial skill set he has to play the role he played on Saturday - that of a genuine small, who predominantly uses ground level skill and cunning to create a disturbance in the force, and panic in defenders.

West and Weightman, although neither are genuinely tearaway smalls, are both playing at a level where they need to be accorded respect for an entire game. If we can continue to improve the separation of our talls, all our forwards are a better than even chance to beat their opponents one-out if isolated. And then we enter Eade-era forward line chaos, where defenders struggle to double-team and close space. Rapid f50 entry needs to continue in conjunction obviously, need to give our forwards the opportunity to optimise execution of their respective skill sets.

(Hope that makes sense, typing in the rain sheltering under a tree trying to herd sheep back into their paddock and away from my young trees!)

Reminds me of when my parents visited from the states in 1979. We happened to run into Lou Richards at Myer in the city signing a new book he wrote. I told them how he was a footy star in his day. My dad, seeing his size, found that unbelievable. Dad understood a bit more the next Saturday when he saw an actual game at the Western Oval.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just re-watched three free kicks to Cody from this last game and I did not see any 'milking for a free kick'. When the opposing player hooked an arm across his chest and yanked him down when he didn't have possession, yes, his arms and legs flew out. That is what happens when your momentum is going one way and your body is suddenly going the other. If you keep watching he immediately pops up and goes after the ball. He did not expect or 'milk' a whistle. While jostling for position downfield he gets an arm swung into the side of his head. He ducks under it and turns toward the ball and continues to play on until the whistle. He did not appear to be expecting or playing for a call. Then an he is tackled over the shoulder. The umpire is right there and the whistle blows immediately. Even if he wanted to milk it he didn't have a chance. It's funny that they fuss about him milking for free kicks but when you go back and watch the replay 99 out of 100 the free kick is there.

I just re-watched three free kicks to Cody from this last game and I did not see any 'milking for a free kick'. When the opposing player hooked an arm across his chest and yanked him down when he didn't have possession, yes, his arms and legs flew out. That is what happens when your momentum is going one way and your body is suddenly going the other. If you keep watching he immediately pops up and goes after the ball. He did not expect or 'milk' a whistle. While jostling for position downfield he gets an arm swung into the side of his head. He ducks under it and turns toward the ball and continues to play on until the whistle. He did not appear to be expecting or playing for a call. Then an he is tackled over the shoulder. The umpire is right there and the whistle blows immediately. Even if he wanted to milk it he didn't have a chance. It's funny that they fuss about him milking for free kicks but when you go back and watch the replay 99 out of 100 the free kick is there.
But there were a few times where he didn’t get the free kick but was trying to milk it. Maybe these aren’t obvious on tv but both my mate and his son were calling him out on it through the game. I totally get why footy public don’t like him. I’m like this with Ginnivan and previously with Selwood.

Small forward is 100% the hardest position to play and get good stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back