List Mgmt. What to do with picks 7 & 8

What do you think we should be doing with picks 7 & 8?

• Go to the draft with both picks and select best possible players

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • Go to the draft with both picks and select best possible midfielders

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Trade one pick for a future first and take one pick to the draft

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Trade one pick for an A grade player and take one pick to the draft

Votes: 55 37.7%
  • Upgrade both picks to a top 3 pick and go to the draft

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Trade both picks for two A grade players

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I am an advocate for taking both our picks this year to the draft. However, in the interests of entertaining the possibility of trading for Gaff I could see the following being a somewhat realistic trade scenario:

Saints: pick 7 & 8 to Eagles for Gaff & pick 13.

At pick 13 we could possibly pick one of Higgins, Naughton, O'Brien, Garner. I feel pick 13 is where the club could be prepared to take a calculated risk with their selection without having to reach (O'Brien comes to mind).

See this is where some of us differ. As you say its not often you get 2 top ten picks so I would rather trade for them. I'm still convinced people would rather draft because of the excitement of it all. Trading is clearly a much safer option especially since those who follow drafts don't rate many at all in this draft.
You could be right but the club, thought the deal and therefore the draft good enough to trade into.

not that simple we moved a pick out of a good draft, into a poorer one. you dont want to be doing that every year.

This time last year discussion was about lack of mids available at our first pick. Hindsight suggests we could've taken Simpkin, Florent, Berry, Witherden or SPP. Imo Florent & SPP are the most overrated players on our forum. Berry & witherden will be guns. Simpkin looks pretty special. But are they what we need? The difference with this years draft is available bonafide mids at our picks. I like our draft position this year more than last.

People have short memories. Last years draft wasn't rated too highly at the time and our pick wasn't a great one as it seemed to be fall in no man's land. We would have likely ended up with someone like Simpkin who is a poor man's Gresham.

There are some really good prospects at 7 and 8 this year and ones that really suit our needs.

This time last year discussion was about lack of mids available at our first pick. Hindsight suggests we could've taken Simpkin, Florent, Berry, Witherden or SPP. Imo Florent & SPP are the most overrated players on our forum. Berry & witherden will be guns. Simpkin looks pretty special. But are they what we need? The difference with this years draft is available bonafide mids at our picks. I like our draft position this year more than last.

Edit: I recall the players we were all froffing over were McGrath, Taranto, Ainsworth, Mcluggage, SPS & Brodie - all went before our pick we traded to Haw.

Totally but there's no point bring in meh ones.

The only one that looks appealing is Stephenson but I think he goes higher and i don't think it's worth trading up for him

We also have a need for someone like naughton. Who is an intercept attacking defender.
Disagree. Stephenson will be a decent chance to make it to our pick and if he doesn't there will be others there like Coffield.

Yes another intercept marking player would be nice, but the only way we take a Naughton type would we if we took two picks to the draft not one as outside runners are our number one priority and there are some good prospects there.

I'd be happy to bet my house on this.

Davies-Uniacke, Constable, Dow, Cerra, Stephenson, Rayner and Coffield are the only ones who really interest me from this draft, and some of them aren't really what we need.

There's value in O'Brien still, and a dark horse pick in Jackson Ross, but overall I'm underwhelmed.

Jarrod Brander may well be around our picks as well, and prudence suggests you take a look at the highly-rated KPPs, even if you don't necessarily take them; it's worth considering that there are still question marks over Bruce (accuracy/impact), and Goddard and McCartin (durability) which arguably leaves our KPP stocks thinner than they first appear.

Davies-Uniacke, Constable, Dow, Cerra, Stephenson, Rayner and Coffield are the only ones who really interest me from this draft, and some of them aren't really what we need.

There's value in O'Brien still, and a dark horse pick in Jackson Ross, but overall I'm underwhelmed.

Jarrod Brander may well be around our picks as well, and prudence suggests you take a look at the highly-rated KPPs, even if you don't necessarily take them; it's worth considering that there are still question marks over Bruce (accuracy/impact), and Goddard and McCartin (durability) which arguably leaves our KPP stocks thinner than they first appear.
If we traded up to 2 who would you take for us? Dow, LDU, Rayner, Cerra or Stephenson?

Good summation!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ripping post campaigner...

Chances are two of those guys are avail at our picks. Not a bad position to be in.

not that simple we moved a pick out of a good draft, into a poorer one. you dont want to be doing that every year.
Actually it is, list management thought it was a good idea, I'm not arguing that it was the right thing to do, but now that we have them and my opinion is that, given there is no unquestionable trade we should take them to the draft.

If you want to argue the wisdom of getting the extra pick, you need to find someone else to have that argument with.

Actually it is, list management thought it was a good idea, I'm not arguing that it was the right thing to do, but now that we have them and my opinion is that, given there is no unquestionable trade we should take them to the draft.

If you want to argue the wisdom of getting the extra pick, you need to find someone else to have that argument with.
We didn't get the extra pick though. We trade one away in the draft we were in for one in the following draft. Effectively we moved it.

I'm all for having 2 first rounders every year but that's not what happened. We still have 2 firsts over two years.

The benefit was the 2 extra 2nd rounders

We didn't get the extra pick though. We trade one away in the draft we were in for one in the following draft. Effectively we moved it.

I'm all for having 2 first rounders every year but that's not what happened. We still have 2 firsts over two years.

The benefit was the 2 extra 2nd rounders

It was a great deal , and if we mucked it up by drafting "surprise pick" Ben Long, instead of Parfitt, Bolton, Begley, or Fisher, then that's a different issue.

To me it seems a bit like the coach wanted a Ferrari, but they couldn't find one, so they got a Fiat with a spoiler and cool wheels.
Still time for Ben though, ( he's 20 ), his contested to uncontested disposal ratio is ok, he might come good.

If we traded up to 2 who would you take for us? Dow, LDU, Rayner, Cerra or Stephenson?
Personally I'd take Dow. I like the explosiveness he has.

Also, watch for Oliver Simpson next year. Pacy winger out of Carey Grammar/Oakleigh Chargers.

Full disclosure that he's a very close family friend, but he's got a lot of (a right-footed) Isaac Smith about him; good height, speed and class, but needs a good 10kg on him.

Starting to look at potential draftees now this is getting more likely.
Maybe this is my eternal opfimism but seems to be some OK kids at 7 and 8.

The recruiters will need to look at immediate impact players. We really cant afford to develop for 3 to 4 years.

So who fits the category of
Mid
Speed
Skills
Developed physically

Starting to look at potential draftees now this is getting more likely.
Maybe this is my eternal opfimism but seems to be some OK kids at 7 and 8.

The recruiters will need to look at immediate impact players. We really cant afford to develop for 3 to 4 years.

So who fits the category of
Mid
Speed
Skills
Developed physically
We don't want to be the perennial "development" club, with young players having a lot of potential year after year but the team not playing finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. What to do with picks 7 & 8

Back