Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

Carlton's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting result so far.
I would have thought Essendon would be number 1, but I can't castigate anyone hating on the Pies.

Incorrect…

I’m a fan!!
outlier!

images

I remember as a kid, my nan having peppermint squares( red tulip) on the table for Christmas lunch… I loved the taste then and still today it reminds me of my childhood!
After Dinner Mints. The height of sophistication in the 70s.

Carltons rivals come in brackets IMO.

Collingwood - Biggest rival, respectful rivalry, hate losing to each other, love beating eachother.
Essendon - Close second, more of spiteful rivalry, no love lost here.

Richmond - Typical big club rivalry, lots of history, not a heap of recent history though.

Hawthorn - Reckon there is a small rivalry here, modern era history even if it was some time back now, very much dislike losing to each other.

The other Victorian clubs, small rivalry because there is a long history and are close bye.
St Kilda
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
North Melbourne
Melbourne

Interstate clubs, nothing much in regards to rivalry, perhaps a little with The Eagles but not much of note.
West Coast
Adelaide
Sydney
Port Adelaide
Fremantle
Brisbane

Meh, who cares?
GWS
Suns

Personally the team I dislike losing to the most is Essendon. The fire has become quite dull there because they have been a basket case for 10+ years now. Things are different when they and us are both flag threats but that has not been seen in over 20 years. A lot of reason why I dislike Essendon.

Collingwood is a big club I have a lot of respect for, have admired how they have operated over the last 23 years. Very professional, ahead or up with the times, have done nothing but good for the game, have always played the game in the right spirit. That being said I have a lot of mates who support them, they are big poppies and at the moment they are the team to beat. Hate losing to them.

Richmond. I'm not old enough to remember the time when Carlton and Richmond were fierce rivals and despised each other but I have been told that was the case many years ago. Carlton and Richmond draw huge crowds. Personally I have no extra motivation to beat them than I do other clubs apart from them being a strong side and beating strong teams is always a bonus.

Hawthorn are a side that I love beating. We went a long long time before we had a win over them recently. They have been fierce and successful and they always made the most when playing us. Physically intimidating us, beating us up, using us as percentage boosters. Have been a frustrating opponent. Currently we are the good side and they are the lower side so every win we have over them is a bonus. Chipping away at that huge losing streak we had against them,

The other teams? Well St Kilda are nearly out on their own from the other Vic sides as are Geelong but that is only because they have been successful teams at times and hard to beat. No real rivalry moments there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I can’t stand Essendon. I just ******* hate them with a passion.

By comparison Collingwood doesn’t really phase me.
They’re pretty even, but Collingwood just..

What those pricks did to us in 2022 was shattering

Essendon have been largely irrelevant, and I was basically numb already by the time we lost to them

Since then we haven’t looked back

It would be interesting if Essendon and Collingwood were both top teams or if Collingwood had been poor for a long time and Essendon were a top team. Reckon this would be the other way around. Essendon being the joke of the competition for quite some time now means the rivalry has cooled. Put me in the grand final against either of them and it's Essendon who I would hate losing to the most. I still consider Collingwood our biggest rival but it's Essendon I dislike mostly.

It's a shame Collingwood and Carlton did not meet in the grand final last year. But it wasn't meant to be. Perhaps with both sides now on 16 flags it is. The games biggest rivals meeting on the biggest stage both equal on the premiership tally. The time is now! We beat Essendon by a point in the prelim all over again and Collingwood in the grand final to get us to 17 premierships, ok footy gods make it happen!

Pies.

Always.

Seen us beat the beast twice live in the big one.

79’ was hell exploding.

‘81 was the mosquito fleet.

I own those moments.

Yep.😎👍
Absolutely it’s always been the filth with the tigers a close second … the other team are just scum that we really enjoy beating because you know they’re scum and the fact they refuse to admit it makes the enjoyment when we beat them much greater lol

Just jumped into this thread and had got me ****ed how it made so many pages.., the answer is Essendon and it’s not even close…..

Perhaps if you were born pre 1970 then Collingwood come into calculation, but after that those flogs from Tullamarine are the scum of the earth.

Yep born in the 70s and growing up in the 80s I didn’t feel anything towards collingwood - I remember an older kid once telling a few of us in the playground that Collingwood had the most fans and I couldn’t understand why such a poor team had any supporters

And then 1990 happened and many kids switched temporarily to the Pies because they hadn’t won in so long - and I couldn’t care less but not being in the Finals for a couple of seasons at the time hurt

But in the 90s the rivalry with Essendon was the fiercest on the ground and also off it because many of my friends were bombers fans

So as others have said Collingwood may be the respected rival but Essendon is the hated rival and the one you absolutely don’t want to lose to

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think personal perspectives are largely driven by who we had the biggest clashes with when that person was a kid.

For me I voted Collingwood as our greatest rival, Richmond is a close second and Essendon third, albeit I despise them as drug cheats and also the only team to do be done for salary cap cheating in a premiership year.

The only reason I think I put Richmond close to Collingwood is that I was born in 1962 which made me 10/11 when we went into back to back grand finals with them in 72/73.

I vaguely remember 1968, quite clearly remember 1970 and 72/73 are crystal clear.

The rivalry with Richmond was fiercer in those days, compounded by their dastardly deeds in the 73 GF (especially Balme's cowardly hit on Southby) and by the fact my big brother was/is a Tigers man.

But still I think overall the crown for biggest rival has to go to the Pies.

I thought I'd be in the majority with my choice of * as our biggest rival but it seems like it is the pies - as ianh suggests, probably has more than a bit to do with when your footy formative years were............

Remove this Banner Ad

Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

Back