Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

Carlton's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

While I really enjoy beating the traditional rivals, Saints are top of my list of must win

Achieved nothing and act like they are relevant
Yes they have bothered me since the Robert Harvey carving us up days.
And add Hawthorn to that list since 'That Dixon Goal'.

It might change from generation to generation but as someone born from the early 90s;
I want nothing more than a Collingwood Carlton grand final and for us to beat them by a point after the siren. Definitely our biggest ‘rival’ but like the club and love the rivalry. Tigers I love the rivalry too, but I’d be happy if the bombers never had any success again. I’d be gutted if Collingwood were kicked out of the AFL, I would laugh and laugh and laugh if the Dons were never heard from again.

While I really enjoy beating the traditional rivals, Saints are top of my list of must win

Achieved nothing and act like they are relevant
For about fifteen years I have thought ‘maybe this is the year we start getting it together…I guess we will find out if we are pretenders or not if we beat St. Kilda’

Numero Uno always for moi!

FbZt509aUAAdzfw
The touching of the filth jumper has always concerned me in this pic … perhaps a pair of tongs would’ve served.

For what it’s worth, filth the biggest rival, * the most detested by some margin.

Richmond are the junior member of the big four imo. As for Collingwood and *. I hate the drug cheats more, but really a plague on both their houses i say!

Last edited:
I see the Collingwood President came out and said his only regret for the year was that they didn’t beat us in the Grand Final
I think when you've won only three flags in sixty something years, then you aren't exactly in a position to be picky about who you beat in a grand final!

The filth may be reigning premiers but they are beatable. Then we had Oleg Markov celebrating their flag win while wearing a Carlton guernsey.

The rivalry we have with the filth is epic, but they really do obsess about us way more than we do over them imo.

My view of the world. I'M LOSING ITTT!!!

In the 70's and 80's Collingwood were our ONLY rivals. That we beat them in 3 grand finals in that time was a thing of beauty (and something that lives with Eddie McGuire and their fans of that time every, single day)!

Then Sheedy and his hit-men (Merrett, Andrews, Dean Wallis etc) and all the arrogant * supporters led to a total contempt for anything in red & black.
  • Wanganeen winning the Brownlow by default (Diesel lost by a vote, not scoring ONE vote with 44 quality possessions).
  • 1993 GF Goal umpire not brave enough to overturn the Long goal that was touched by SOS.
  • Losing that 93 GF and the gloating of Sheedy and their fans.
  • Diesel copping a 9-week suspension in 1997 for the slightest push of the umpire who was getting in his personal space after Denham stirred Diesel up after the final siren. Listening to the * fans ringing into the radio stations demanding he be suspended.
  • Kernahan missing everything in 1993 from 40 metres out, when all we needed was a point to beat *. And the carry on from their fans afterwards.
  • Essendon CHEATING and using banned substances to turn into mini-hulks after we smashed them late in 2012, only for them to come out early in 2013 and throw us around like ragdolls, badly injuring Carazzo and others.
  • Essendon media, club officials & fans all in full denial over the drug cheating - never owning up to it.
2023 - Collingwood playing good footy and their fans in full cry, ridiculously defending Ginnivan and Maynard. Always with a close eye on how the mighty blues were going. I had so many Pies fans getting so worked up, to the point of jealousy, when we went on our winning streak. It was almost laughable. Then we beat them. Then they became scared that we could ruin their party. The relief when we were beaten by Brisbane was quite noticeable.

In summary, I'm with most.

Collingwood are our biggest rivals. But, as another poster has commented, they seem to obsess more about us than we do them. No doubt because of all those times we beat them in Grand Finals.

Essendon are our most detested rival. There is a stench about that club. They are bullies (when they can be). Always seem to have those unlikeable players - Merrett, Buhagiar, Wallis, Dylan Smith, Stringer etc. Terrible winners. Horrible losers. They cheat (drug scandal/only team to breach the salary cap in a premiership year). Their fans have this delusional view on the world and how good their club/players are.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lotta youngsters here don't realise just how bitter our rivalry with the Tigs was from late 60s to early 80s. :) Pies certainly our traditional enemies, but Tigers not far behind. Don't like * at all, but don't see them as a traditional rival in the same way as the other two.
100% this, and the hatred for Essendon only became a thing when Sheedy (who was one of the players most despised by Carlton people when he was at Richmond) became their coach. The Essendon rivalry for me was non-existent before then, it was born out of the hatred for all things Richmond.

couldn't give a rats where or when it came from, it's a thing...........
Nobody said it wasn't, it's just not the biggest thing for mine, nothing will ever top the Collingwood rivalry.

If the question posed by the OP was 'Which opposition club do you hate most?' you would have a point.

I think there have been eras where the rivalry has turned elsewhere, Tiges in the 70s and Bombers 81- early 00s. Could even have the Hawks there in the 80s. Pies have been the mainstay throughout. Healthy dose of respect for the evenness in the head to head after all these years, they get my vote.

Biggest - Pies
Most Hated - *

This is the perfect summary. Respect and even admire the Pies.

**** the irrelevant rabble that is the Bombers, hope they stay shite for the next 20 years. The only thing that keeps them in the headlines is the journos who love them #brave

Last edited:
mightn't hurt to move beyond this idea of "hate" - hating another sporting club doesn't make you a stronger supporter of your own - it comes across like a bunch of 8 year olds discussing their least favourite lollies - I've probably used the word "despise" in the past, which is equally silly - I have zero respect for any other club and at times that includes my own - when I fear a club, I know that's the club that rates great rivalry status - that only came to pass back in the 80's when sheedy came to * - later, it was sheedy & hird - I knew that as long as sheedy was ringing the changes and hird was carrying them out, we were no certainties - every carlton/* game I attended, I attended with a belly full of butterflies - still do - probably why the 99 pf was such a victory for the ages.....

Yeah Rich definitely the smaller member. They can’t handle too many poor years of form like the other 3. * are more of a worry because they can and have the potential and backing to go past us and even challenge Coll as the big powerhouse if they got a sniff off a flag. I’m not even sure who would be our bigger rival if * got their act together. But one thing for certain, I absolutely hate them more than Coll by length of the Flemington straight!
* a sniff of a flag? No worries about that mate. The Bombers aren't even capable of winning an elimination final!:laughv1:

As long as Sheeds and the Dodo man are loitering around the corridors of Windy Hill, then we've got nothing to fear from * mate.

Last edited:
mightn't hurt to move beyond this idea of "hate" - hating another sporting club doesn't make you a stronger supporter of your own - it comes across like a bunch of 8 year olds discussing their least favourite lollies - I've probably used the word "despise" in the past, which is equally silly - I have zero respect for any other club and at times that includes my own - when I fear a club, I know that's the club that rates great rivalry status - that only came to pass back in the 80's when sheedy came to * - later, it was sheedy & hird - I knew that as long as sheedy was ringing the changes and hird was carrying them out, we were no certainties - every carlton/* game I attended, I attended with a belly full of butterflies - still do - probably why the 99 pf was such a victory for the ages.....

Yeah but I would never chose the peppermint creams!!!! Anything else but the peppermint creams!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

Back