Which Geelong potato did you think would be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Add me to the Charlie Gardener list.. I thought he'd be a star but it wasn't to be.

Happily I never ever remotely rated Schroeder and couldn't see what people saw in him, so at least I've got one right as well

I agree with earlier poster re Reynoldson - he had everything going for him but was dissappointing

Paul Lynch would have been very very good except for injuries

Geel also had ( back in Reynoldsons day ) a big left footed forward /backman - could take a screamer - forgotten his name ( he was that good - hey ) all he is remembered for - is for throwing some haymakers at Rhys Jones - out at Carlton one day .
Alan Woodman?

Paul Lynch was nearly one of my favourite players when fit.
Same with Peter Doyle.

The next Sam Newman in Reynoldson is possibly the ultimate player for this thread.

Todd Grima?
Started as if he was going to be a revelation as a forward.

Will Slade
Another mid who promised a lot but was given few opportunities.

David Clarke jnr.
Elite pace, shocking disposal. Once he lost his confidence, he lost his way. I really rated him early on.

Todd Grima?
Started as if he was going to be a revelation as a forward.

Will Slade
Another mid who promised a lot but was given few opportunities.

David Clarke jnr.
Elite pace, shocking disposal. Once he lost his confidence, he lost his way. I really rated him early on.

Vdubs,

This has long been to me one of the greatest mysterious cases of a player never getting an opportunity or even rated, but staring at every level he plays at.

He kicked 11 goals in a game playing for full forward with Tasmania his carnival year, he was AA and won the goal kicking. He made it all the way to a rookie pick!

He dominated our VFL team and kicked 50 goals or thereabouts if I recall correctly his first few seasons.

But never once got an AFL game??

I still don't understand....

Very odd

Reynoldson , Tenace , Prismall and Clarke Jnr all good nominations
Remember Bomber talking about Clarke Jnr- players who can get it 20 odd times per game are rare but we can work on his disposal....alas that didn't work
David Spriggs is another - thought he would be our version of Shane Crawford :(

Vdubs,

This has long been to me one of the greatest mysterious cases of a player never getting an opportunity or even rated, but staring at every level he plays at.

He kicked 11 goals in a game playing for full forward with Tasmania his carnival year, he was AA and won the goal kicking. He made it all the way to a rookie pick!

He dominated our VFL team and kicked 50 goals or thereabouts if I recall correctly his first few seasons.

But never once got an AFL game??

I still don't understand....

Very odd

Don't think Bomber liked him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think this whole idea of trying to model our draft picks off our premiership team was in hindsight the worst possible period for wells. Turned out to be a big failure.

Should never go away from picking the best available.
Except now we have no young ruckman and only one young key defender.

In all seriousness, Schredder was pick 54 - you don't expect pick 54 to deliver a successful AFL player. Alex Johnson and Paul Puopolo were the only non-rookie players taken after him who are still with their original clubs.

Who was that aboriginal bloke who came to Geel via Carlton - in the early to mid 80s when Tom Hafey was coach

He had a very athletic build - good kick - pace - moved well - just oozed class - seem to arrive at the Cats - played some very good games and then got onto his horse and rode off into the sunset - never heard from again

I think i remember reading a few ago ( specifically 2013 - when Motlop looked like being a genuine gun player ) that Motlops mother is the sister of this ex Geel player im posting about

Who was that aboriginal bloke who came to Geel via Carlton - in the early to mid 80s when Tom Hafey was coach

He had a very athletic build - good kick - pace - moved well - just oozed class - seem to arrive at the Cats - played some very good games and then got onto his horse and rode off into the sunset - never heard from again

I think i remember reading a few ago ( specifically 2013 - when Motlop looked like being a genuine gun player ) that Motlops mother is the sister of this ex Geel player im posting about
Rod Waddell, iirc.
And was that defender you were talking about Alan Woodman?

Brent Prismall. Forced his way into a midfield with Selwood, Corey, Ablett and Bartel. Was going ok until he did his knee.

Prismall looked great when he played for the Cats but happily was a spud when he went to the Bombers. Couldn’t have happened to a better club. He should have stayed at the Cats .

Todd Grima
Ryan Gamble
Cam Eardley
Nick Bourke

I remember when you guys traded Gamble on to the Saints . I watched him the first preseason game he played and thought we have got a bargain here . Ross Lyon tried to buy a forward but at the same time we had Lynch who has gone on to play well at Adelaide. We all thought Lynch could play except Lyon who refused to play him . Instead we tried Gamble and I think there was a Gardener either before or after we got from the Cats too I think .

Last edited:
Doubt I thought this guy would be a star.
But I thought he could be.

Paul Brown.
Brown was an excellent footballer. Played back and then went forward and kicked goals.

David Clarke jnr.
excellent call, I thought he would be what Ablett Jnr became many years later

Remove this Banner Ad

Which Geelong potato did you think would be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back