Which Geelong potato did you think would be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Gamble.
I remember when he was presented with Peter Riccardi's number because they thought he'd be something special.
I think his problem was he was too interested in taking 'speckkys' rather than doing the 'team' thing.

Brent Prismall.
Really thought he would be something, after he did his leg was only ever mediocre at best at Essendon, then was caught up in the peptides thing which even impacted his post-football opportunities.

Tom Lonergan.*
Thought he was our goal kicking answer. Useless!

(*re-invented himself as the competitions premier key position defender, so probably doesn't really qualify for this thread) :p

No footage available of the kick after this brilliant hanger, then?

;)
You wouldn't want it.
Reminiscent of Peter Johnston, a remarkable mark with an equally remarkable kick for goal- regularly missed from 10m out!

Not a spud by any means but I thought Hawkins would completely dominate the competition and be the best power forward since Carey. He's been great for us but he's never reached the heights I thought/hoped for.
He was... for a year. Then stuffed his back in 2013 and was never the same.

So many great memories brought back by this thread. I would agree with nearly all names.

Ryan Gamble and Kane Tenace are my standouts.

I also thought we'd get something great out of Marcus Drum. Instead his eye fell out and he had about 25 injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely NO spud but FMD Paul Lynch would have been a star if not for injury. :(

And Stoneham too- like more of a star. I know he was a star.
Loved those 2- def not applicable in this thread.

Except now we have no young ruckman and only one young key defender.

In all seriousness, Schredder was pick 54 - you don't expect pick 54 to deliver a successful AFL player. Alex Johnson and Paul Puopolo were the only non-rookie players taken after him who are still with their original clubs.

Zac smith still has several years left. I don't think we need to worry on a ruck front just yet. He is a good player also.

We have Henderson who is still in his prime and also kolo who is shaping as a good key defender. It's not all doom and gloom just yet

No footage available of the kick after this brilliant hanger, then?

;)
Haha i think I have that game on my hard drive somewhere. Round 20 2003 it was.

I still remember him dropping a mark on the wing, Medallion Club side of Docklands against Collingwood, with not one player near him for a good 20 metres. :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Which Geelong potato did you think would be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back