Which players of the premiership winning club should be awarded with a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did a search, couldn't find anything, simply thread though.

Which players should be awarded with a premiership medallion upon winning the flag?

Should it go solely to the 22 that take the field on grand final day?

Should it go to every player on the senior list?

Any other opinions?

It is my belief that every player on the senior list should get a medal, because though the premiership is decided on grand final day, it is the premiership season that they have finished as champions of and what got them there in the first place.

In the NHL you need to have played at least half of the regular season games or one playoff game to get your name on the Cup, I reckon that's pretty fair.
In 2008 Murphy and Taylor both played about 18 games, they deserved premiership medals I reckon.

IMO it should be given to those players who played a percentage of games during the season. Say if you've played 25% (roughly 6) of the games then you qualify.

Just the 22

Premierships are only won on the last Saturday in September.

To be perfectly honest I dont think a premiership would mean much if you didnt play on the day.

Cam Mooney says he doesnt really value his 99 flag and he actually played. Just not much game time.

I'd rather err on the side of the occasional player who made a small contribution getting one than someone missing out on one.

The belief that only the 22 who play on the day should get a medal is an antiquated one that should have gone out with the Army Reserve Cup and tight shorts.

just the 22 i think. as much as a guy like matthew egan deserved a medal in 2007, i don't think the players themselves would class themselves as 'premiership players' unless they played on the day​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just the 22 i think. as much as a guy like matthew egan deserved a medal in 2007, i don't think the players themselves would class themselves as 'premiership players' unless they played on the day​

I think anyone who played during the finals deserves to get one, as they actively played a part in getting the side to the Grand Final/premiership.

Giving it to guys who get one senior game during the season is fraught with danger. There'll always be hard luck stories like Egan though...

Maybe just leave it as it is.

It's like asking if all the winning side should get a Norm Smith medal because without the other 21 players the bloke wouldn't have won it.

Why does everyone want everything to be warm and cuddly?

The premiership is played for on Grand Final day only. It takes the whole club to get you into a grand Final but only the 22 players can win it for you.

Just the 22 players should get a medal and the coaches.

only the 22 who played on grand final day. Grand finals are won on grand final day just as they are lost on grand final day. I dont think the other players would feel right getting a medal anyway.

maybe the AFL could make a special "23rd man" medal to recognise the unlucky guy who missed out.

Keep it like it is.

We don't need to copy conventions from other sports for the hell of it. We need to get over the insecurity.

The team themselves can create a momento if they want to recognise the whole squad but I wouldn't like it to change for the GF medal.

In fact I hate even the concept of the loser's medal.

You lose, get off and let the victors enjoy the spoils of their victory.

Keep it like it is.

We don't need to copy conventions from other sports for the hell of it. We need to get over the insecurity.

The team themselves can create a momento if they want to recognise the whole squad but I wouldn't like it to change for the GF medal.

In fact I hate even the concept of the loser's medal.

You lose, get off and let the victors enjoy the spoils of their victory.

Agree wholeheartedly. You have to earn the right to be a premiership player. Before you can even think about beating the opposition you have to beat your team mates and earn selection.

The value in a premiership medal is how hard they are to get hold of, to win one your also need to risk losing one. This can only be done in the pressure of a gf. how people can propose a player having a medal and being a premiership player without having stepped onto the field in a GF is beyond me. leave it as it is.

the lustre (i'd imagine) of the premirship medal would be being able to look back at a great day of achievement where all your efforts and hard work were rewarded.

You'd remember a smother, a goal, a handpass or whatever. You'd reflect on the day and the enormity of walking out in from of 100,000 people and going to battle.

From all reports Mooney dooesn't pride himself on his '99 medal because he barely contributed to the game. So imagine how Mark Blake would remember the '07 medal when he didn't play? Do you think he'd look at that medal as a sense of pride - or a sense of disappointment?

So Modra didn't earn the right in 1997, because he knee buckled a week before? Poppycock.

I understand what many people are saying about players being left out (like Mark Blake) and the medal becoming a source of frustration and ill-feeling, but this is cultural (based on the fact that the 22 are the only players who get medals currently, and it has been this way since they started awarding medals) and would eventually start to change.

In the NHL you need to have played at least half of the regular season games or one playoff game to get your name on the Cup, I reckon that's pretty fair.
In 2008 Murphy and Taylor both played about 18 games, they deserved premiership medals I reckon.

Agree with the 50% thing. Something like that I reckon. If you miss out on the day but were a part of the back office that put it together during the year you deserve some reward.

Maybe you apply for one then?

I understand the "I didnt play on the day, I dont want a medal" but maybe some people who did play a lot of the season do want one. Perhaps if you play 50% of games you can apply and have one.

It's like asking if all the winning side should get a Norm Smith medal because without the other 21 players the bloke wouldn't have won it.

Why does everyone want everything to be warm and cuddly?

The premiership is played for on Grand Final day only. It takes the whole club to get you into a grand Final but only the 22 players can win it for you.

Just the 22 players should get a medal and the coaches.

....you should ask Derek Kickett about his 1993 season and finals series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back