Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lycett sounds perfect. Athletic ruckman / forward who can mark. Our season is falling apart, so we should be able to get him.:eek:

We need a midfielder with penetrating disposal.

Also, a fast goal kicking mid / hff would help!

It would also be great to find a couple of gems late in the draft from the SANFL.

Beech, Goldsworthy, Ohara, Liddle, Jonas and Rose are names mentioned as promising SANFL players...

We have two of these in Mots and Ebo IMO but we play them as stay at home FF's. Moore can also play this role.

I will be pissed if we use on of our top picks on someone who is not a ruck, KPP or genuine mid.

We have two of these in Mots and Ebo IMO but we play them as stay at home FF's. Moore can also play this role.

I will be pissed if we use on of our top picks on someone who is not a ruck, KPP or genuine mid.

Actually, i'd like to see Krak and Ebo? playing as a goal kicking mid / hff.

I assume Motlop will somehow leave at the end of the season.

I also assume Butcher and Trengove will become All Australians in the next couple of seasons!?:D

I am going to keep assuming that Lobbe and Redden will become top class ruckman, Boak will captain us to a premiership, Broady will be recognised as a great midfielder and Hartlett, Gray and Sal will never be injured again.

Also, Chocco will leave!:p

Round 1 - a great, tough, smart mid from SA preferably.
Round 2 - a good, tough, smart mid from SA preferably.
Round 3 - a surprise, tough, smart mid from SA preferably.
Round 4 - a spec ruckman.
Round 5 - a spec SNAFL, WAFL, VFL mature ruckman

We need some big bodied, goal kicking midfielders. Also a young ruckman and maybe a mature age ruckman.

I still think Banner could be the goal kicking midfielder for us, krakouer (GC bound) could have been another. We have missed Krakouer on a wing this year. Missed Gray, Hartlett, Salopek & Broady in the middle too :)

I still think we need to target a line breaking midfielder.

I just don't hold out hope for Bass.

Rick,

I have respected and appreciated all your posts since my time on BF, but this is a very bad call.

:thumbsdown:

First Pick: Tough and Hard Midfielder. No injury issues, and ready to play in his first year.
Second Pick: Medium Sized and Quick Defender. Able to run well from the back lines, with great defensive pressure.
Third Pick: Midfielder with Pace and Agility. Someone similar to a D-Rod, able to get out of tackles and good under pressure.
Fourth Pick: Medium Sized Forward with a decent lead and built well.
Later Picks/Rookies: Ruckman - One VFL/SANFL/WAFL Recruit ready to play. Ruckman - One young Ruckman with good midfield pressur.
Forward - Small, quick and good goal sense.

It looks like Schammer will be put up for trade at the end of the year.

527-no-because-no.jpg

Where to start with that rubbish.........

Pearce is a good player, as is Boak.

Gray Hartlett & Krak are injured too much, you can't build a midfield out of guys that don't play much. And not one of these guys look like injuries are are passing thing. They all have HISTORY in that regard. Can't keep wishing a side gets better. Salopek? Well he's king of the bunch, the other 3's inspiration possibly.

Thomas???.....meh......run with try hard. Got enough of them. Hardly a guy who will ever tear it up.

Marlon Motlop? The guy only wins uncontested footy, that's when he's playing of course. At the moment he's got about as much chance of being an AFL mid as you or I. Ridiculous call. Be lucky to be on any AFL list in 2 years time unless he discovers some heart.

Our midfield does suck at present, hugely. We do have a couple of guys that could help IF they can get their bodies right but given each of them has a history or injuries, then the odds of that happening are very very slim.

If we sit back and HOPE for another 2 years, well good luck trying to run an elite level sporting body on hope.

Open your eyes.

We need a midfield that can stand up again and again and again. Not a midfield where it's decimated as soon as the wind changes direction.

Couldn't agree more, midfielders > ruckman. Not to mention that picking rucks is basically a crap shoot anyway. Spudderiffic Josh Fraser = pick 1. The two best rucks in the game Dean Cox and Aaron Sandilands = rookie picks. 'Nuff said. I'd rather pick up a smokey or a mature-age ruck late and get another midfielder which we desperately need with our early picks, especially considering that if a couple of Lobbe/Redden/Bass/Webb come good or we use Trengove as a rotating second ruck we won't need another ruck anyway.

And you can just as easily point to Kreuzer 1, Naitanui 2, Leuenberger 4, Clark 9 as early quality ruck picks. Even Cam Wood who Port have been linked to, would cost a first round pick in a trade and he's only played 4 games this year (admittedly injured early).

I agree with Black18, too many plodders and sick-room denizens in our midfield now, and more quality mids are needed. But Scott Lycett is a huge talent and has been identified as such by recruiters for years now.

It's a tough call. Boak might net us a couple more picks, which could let us spread the love around.

Rick,

I have respected and appreciated all your posts since my time on BF, but this is a very bad call.

:thumbsdown:

TSW I am hear to give my opinion, if it ruffles feathers of esteemed posters like yourself I am not sorry lol It's the harsh reality, Bass could be a spud :) But I understand your love for him and hope I am wrong :)

For every dud first round ruck, theres an AA first round ruck. Lycett was thought of as a #1 pick a year ago, and unlike the last SA controversially looked over 'couldabeen' #1 pick, Lycett is of genuine height at 202cm. Id be very happy with a first round mid as well, but I cant believe people are dismissing getting another high quality ruck talent in the side because we supposedly have enough, even though the ones weve got under the age of 30 have collectively shown next to nothing. Have people forgotten the wealth of ruckmen we had on our list in the early 00s and how important that was.

I just think those dismissing getting Lycett are looking a bit short sighted. If we pick a ruck, ill be happy. If we pick a mid, ill be happy. If we pick a KPP, ill be happy. We need everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lycett sounds perfect. Athletic ruckman / forward who can mark. Our season is falling apart, so we should be able to get him.:eek:

We need a midfielder with penetrating disposal.

Also, a fast goal kicking mid / hff would help!

It would also be great to find a couple of gems late in the draft from the SANFL.

Beech, Goldsworthy, Ohara, Liddle, Jonas and Rose are names mentioned as promising SANFL players...

If I was selecting, my list would be something along these lines
Pick 1 : Lycett #1, Midfielder #2 (midfielder to be able to win the contested ball and have pace, be able to break away from the stoppage, simialr to the Judd & Griffen type)
Pick 2 : Midfielder, Best availabe
Pick 3 : Xavier Gotch, Maybe too short to play AFL, but has pace and is good in tight, congested situations.
Pick 4 : Johnathon Giles, Mature age Ruckman
Pick 5 : Jonathon Beech, Wing/HFF, Pacey Midfielder, Smarts, uses the ball well. From all accounts was stiff not to be rookie listed this year by Port.

Gotch and Beech get nods for me as this year's pool is likely to be ravished by GC and both lads will be 20 for the 2011 season so still with 3 years of development within them. They are both Mid's and attacking Mid's at that. Sure if Lycett is gone by our first pick take a midfielder, and if there is still a good young mid at pick #2 jump on him, but later than that go with a youngish midfielder playing seniors in one of the local leauges and doing well. Also O'Harra should be around the mark.

Ass part of drafting Lycett is anyone with me that we Delist or trade M Westhoff even if he has one year of his contract left? Allowing his spot to used by a dedicated midfield or ruck prospect?

For every dud first round ruck, theres an AA first round ruck. Lycett was thought of as a #1 pick a year ago, and unlike the last SA controversially looked over 'couldabeen' #1 pick, Lycett is of genuine height at 202cm. Id be very happy with a first round mid as well, but I cant believe people are dismissing getting another high quality ruck talent in the side because we supposedly have enough, even though the ones weve got under the age of 30 have collectively shown next to nothing. Have people forgotten the wealth of ruckmen we had on our list in the early 00s and how important that was.

I just think those dismissing getting Lycett are looking a bit short sighted. If we pick a ruck, ill be happy. If we pick a mid, ill be happy. If we pick a KPP, ill be happy. We need everything.

I concur, I think Lycett is a must, because surely he would be a 200 game player. With youthful mids of Banner, Hartlett, Broady, JMP, Moore, with a Sal, Pearce & Gray (assuming Boak leaves and Port doesn't follow my wish of trading everyone) we then throw another 1st round best available mid.

The problem then will be and slightly off topic the coach playing this kids and letting them develop rather than playing the mid 20 nothing players whilst letting the juniors get thrown around in the sanfl system halting their progress.

I would play Lycett fwd, pinching in ruck in his first year and then slowly move him progressively into ruck.

I would be dropping M Westhoff, at the start of the year I thought we were 4th-6th material, this has not happened, we now need to "Rebuild" in this time of compramised Draft's and Draft compensations. We can not afford to throw the Baby out with the Bath water, but we do need to get some Cleaner, Fresher, Warmer water in the bloody tub. Harding was a good gamble if we were a top 8 side, however we are not, My out's at this stage of the year, M.Westhoff, S.Harding, C.Cornes (Retirement) J.Carr (Retirement), N.Krakouer/S.Salopek/T.Boak (Gold Coast) C.Cloke (J.Giles has more upside than him) W.Thompson (to be rookied if possible)

I'm not 100% on whether M Westhoff is contracted for next year. If he is we can "dawson" him to free up a spot on the senior list.

We shouldn't be short of spots on our list anyway. Carr will retire and Thompson and Harding will be delisted, which is our minimum 3. We may also lose 1-2 players via GC/Trading. Brogan may be shifted to the vet list (should be eligible by now) should Chad or Tredders hang up their boots.

Here's a few opinions on the draft in this thread if anyone is interested.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708683&page=2

Quoted inside here is an article to the benefit of finishing last.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...oon-is-wide-open/story-e6frg7t6-1225880122858

"Gold Coast receives selections 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15, and the first choice in subsequent rounds. At this stage, before the AFL finalises compensation for losing out-of-contract players to the 17th licence, this season's worst performed clubs will be vying for picks 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12."

I would assume Richmond taking Vickery won't go Ruck, neither will West Coast. With no reference to Lycett and GC, perhaps Adelaide is our ruck threat, but they have Maric, Mackernan, Talia & Griffen, would they bother?

P.S I love the Melb forums, supposedly Mckernan is homesick and wants to come home now lol

196cm and 194 cm respectively.

I wouldnt be relying on those two (or Griffen for that matter) to hold up a ruck division.

196cm and 194 cm respectively.

I wouldnt be relying on those two (or Griffen for that matter) to hold up a ruck division.

No different to our supporters here holding out hope on Lobbe, Redden, Bass, Webb or a re drafted Giles for that matter.

No different to our supporters here holding out hope on Lobbe, Redden, Bass, Webb or a re drafted Giles for that matter.

199cm, 202cm, 198cm, *, 199cm.

* Webb is a KPP prospect not a ruck prospect (195cm).

At least those 4 are a chance to make it. There is no way in hell a 194cm player will ever make a decent AFL ruckman in this day and age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back