Roast Who should be our next coach? [melty]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to point out that not only did you not finish reading my post before replying, you didn't even quote the whole thing.
I did read the whole thing. There is no obligation for me to respond to the whole thing. I responded to what - in my opinion - was the most important part. I don’t have to have an opinion on every portion of someone’s post but I certainly acknowledge the point you were making.

Call Me Cake , the biggest NPC thing of all time is Essendon fans towing big daddy's line that the saga was Hird fault.

It became about Hird because the AFL thought it could stage manage the process and he was basically the only guy that saw that David Evans set up to railroad the club to protect the interests of the AFL.

My recollection of the Federal Court rulings was that they let Essendon hang itself because it consented to the process which was otherwise outside of the scope of ASADA's power. That's just an example. The Switkowski report was another.

It's funny how Leigh Matthews is the go to on everything except when he admits he would not have had any idea what players were being given because that was never the coaches job.

It's also funny how you can't blame a coach for the performance of the team he coaches but you can blame him for things he has no organisational responsibility for or control over. There was a footy manager and a CEO at a minimum who were actually responsible. My recollection was that Robson was prevented from resigning in the early days. At least Robson seemed to understand his level of responsibility.

Hird has also now become a dud coach

We went 11-10-1 with a percentage of 100-ish in 2011. We went 11-11 with a percentage of 100ish in 2012 (during which we faded badly after good results in the first 2/3 of the season). In 2013 we'd won 13 games to round 17. Admittedly we only won 1 more game but there were extenuating circumstance. Let's say that any way you cut it, the results were good. I'll bet the AFL started to leak finals bans at about round 18/19. I also think I remember a scandal in the lead up to that Hawthorn game in round 18.

People haven't forgotten that ASADA announced its bullshit appeal in the middle of the 2015 campaign which gutted it resulting in the end if his tenure. And it was a bullshit appeal during which doctrine was invented to find the players guilty absent any evidence that substances, let alone in a quantity required to administer to the group of players, existed. But that's where strand in a cable of bullshit comes into play.

So you've got AOD-9604(?) which it turned out, having been part of the initial hysteria, had been signed off by ASADA? Or was it found not to be on the banned list? I dont remember exactly. And then some vague bullshit about Thymosin that an experienced criminal law county court judge tossed because it didn't get close to satisfying the required standard.

I definitely had my frustration with Hird as a coach. That mainly stemmed from the way youth was treated as game time became a way of compensating players for being subjected to the saga. But that's passed now. He got immediate buy in from his players and Essendon generally had a backbone for the only time in our post 2004 history. I'd take that now over this confused bullshit from Brad Scott, any day of the week.

Last edited:
The only other potentially available coach I'd consider is Buckley. Then I heard him say that our form early this year was good enough..

I have no doubt that in having such a narrow view of who should be coach that we'd miss out on the next potential gun.

But we have a unique set of issue that need to be managed by someone whose reputation gives him the credibility to change things.

It's complicated. It's not a job for a rookie.

Last edited:

Is that a requirement?
It is if you expect an actual discussion about your ideas and are willing to improve your analysis to find a more robust answer... but you know that isn't always what people want when they post on a forum, so perhaps we leave it as is. Melty McMeltface in the melty thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it doesn't matter who our next coach is, we need a new football manager with UNITED NATIONS SKILLS

"On 30 January 2012 Hird forwarded a text message to Corcoran stating, in part:
No stress but need to organise a meeting with you me Reidy, Danksy and Weapon the day you get back. Reidy has stopped everything which is getting a little frustrating. Need to get your United Nations skills back into action"

it doesn't matter who our next coach is, we need a new football manager with UNITED NATIONS SKILLS

"On 30 January 2012 Hird forwarded a text message to Corcoran stating, in part:
No stress but need to organise a meeting with you me Reidy, Danksy and Weapon the day you get back. Reidy has stopped everything which is getting a little frustrating. Need to get your United Nations skills back into action"
forwarded it? who did he get it from? who is "me"?

I dont want Hird coaching another club, making them successful while we're still suffering at the bottom of the ladder :triumph:
Ill be sick with envy watching Hird coach Port Melbourne to a finals win while we wallow in mediocrity

It is if you expect an actual discussion about your ideas and are willing to improve your analysis to find a more robust answer... but you know that isn't always what people want when they post on a forum, so perhaps we leave it as is. Melty McMeltface in the melty thread.
Yep agree.
Of course getting some of your post quoted is better than a laughing emoji or veiled cheap shots in one line posts. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Who should be our next coach? [melty]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back