Who should our Sub be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many people saying Atkins.
Ideally I think lots of the guys already mentioned are ready to be playing full games,in particular kedge and grigg. Might argue M crouch could be getting whole games, especially later in the season. Atkins hasnt played with the seniors yet but as far as i've heard, has the skills to play off half back/forward or on the wing as a receiver. Would be good to get him half a game a few times early in the year.

Not many people saying Atkins.
Ideally I think lots of the guys already mentioned are ready to be playing full games,in particular kedge and grigg. Might argue M crouch could be getting whole games, especially later in the season. Atkins hasnt played with the seniors yet but as far as i've heard, has the skills to play off half back/forward or on the wing as a receiver. Would be good to get him half a game a few times early in the year.

My instant response was Atkins. Shows good run and carry and has a nice left foot. So with fresh legs I feel he would benefit the team. Also gives him an opportunity to show what he can do at AFL level. Hopefully it's enough to guarantee him a starting spot as we need a player like him in the side.

Source?

There was some speculation that they were considering it, around the time that Vlad exited the building and McLachlan took over. That speculation has not come to fruition as far as I'm aware.

I also thought I had heard somewhere late in the season ... and by somewhere I mean on AFL360, AFL website or Fox Sports News, not on Big Footy or in the Advertiser ... that the sub was going to be done away with next season and back to just 4 normal interchange players. I was very surprised when I heard that which is why I remember it well.

Have not seen anything confirming nor denying lately tho.

Hmmm ... the Age ran a story on August 18th: AFL Denies Any Plan To Eliminate The Sub ..... so maybe whatever I heard was just a coach saying they though the rule should be scrapped and I wasn't really listening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They floated the possibility of eliminating the sub, in exchange for dropping the interchange cap from 120 to 80. Personally, I think that's a good idea, because it achieves what the sub is for (limiting the disadvantage suffered by teams losing a player to injury), without all the hassles inherent in the sub.

In the end, the AFL decided not to proceed.

They floated the possibility of eliminating the sub, in exchange for dropping the interchange cap from 120 to 80. Personally, I think that's a good idea, because it achieves what the sub is for (limiting the disadvantage suffered by teams losing a player to injury), without all the hassles inherent in the sub.

Sounds like the commissioners are trying to get a seat at the Reserve Bank ... a lot of high level meetings ... to change nothing.

Knowing the AFL they wont make a decision until just before the season starts, at least that's what happened this year with the interchange cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who should our Sub be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back