Who will be gone at the end of next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Any guesses to who is on thier final legs?

Who will retire? Who will not live up to hype?

Any early predictions that we can come back on in 12 months time and say "i told you so" or "i was way off"

Retired: Fletcher
Delisted: Ricky Dyson

I cant throw anyone else in there at the moment. At this stage we have a list that has a bit of depth about it. Plenty of disappointed blokes in the 2's at the start of the year i would think.

Delisted
Ricky Dyson
John Williams

Retired
Dustin Fletcher

Traded
Jason Laycock
Nathan Lovett-Murray
Jay Nash

In this scenario:

Bellchambers will have developed quicker than expected and taken over the mantle of #2 ruckman.
Lovett-Murray will be traded to an interstate club to be used as a third tall forward. Replaced by Atkinson as our third tall back.
Jay Nash will be traded to another Melbourne club and used as a rebounding defender. Will be replaced by Houli as our HBF

His 2007 season saved him, and he's definitely worth persevering with.

He's got another year in the bank for mine.

Why if he is injured again or does not perform?

Do we need to continually keep carrying injured players on the hope they get their body right? Look at all the negativity towards Hislop and his ability to get out on the track.

Retire: Fletch

Trade/Delist: Dyson, Hooker, Nash, Atkinson (or does he have 2 years?), Hocking, Lovett, NLM, Winderlich, Dempsey,Williams (Magin rookie)

Form says Dyson, Lovett, Williams, Hocking and Nash - but another bad year with injuries and Winderlich and Dempsey may go first.

Can't see Laycock going unless we trade for another ruckman. The rest are not gone - but are on the block and need to perform to ensure their survival.

the rest on the list are safe unless something drastic occurs.

Why if he is injured again or does not perform?

Do we need to continually keep carrying injured players on the hope they get their body right? Look at all the negativity towards Hislop and his ability to get out on the track.

Because Winderlich has talent that is worth persevering with, and he isn't a shit bloke like Lovett or Hislop.

He busts his gut for the club and we aren't exactly blessed with top line midfielders aren't we?

Retire: Fletch

Trade/Delist: Dyson, Hooker, Nash, Atkinson (or does he have 2 years?), Hocking, Lovett, NLM, Winderlich, Dempsey,Williams (Magin rookie)

Sweet mother of jesus!

How the hell are we going to fill all those gaps?

A few more names and you would have mentioned the whole side.

Sweet mother of jesus!

How the hell are we going to fill all those gaps?

A few more names and you would have mentioned the whole side.

I think we would be crazy to get rid of Nash.

He may miss targets, but that is something that can be learnt and developed. (See Jobe Watson)

Nash finds the ball and gives good run off the backline. In my best 22 without doubt.

Winderlich would be in a bit of trouble i would think. Form from 2 seasons ago can only go so far, and if he doesnt get up toward the back end of the season, well im afraid he can join Dyson in the laundry schute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You will probably find that most clubs will probably only take 3 or 4 draft picks next year.

There won't be wholesale changes to the list unless we trade and or swap for players.

You will probably find that most clubs will probably only take 3 or 4 draft picks next year.

There won't be wholesale changes to the list unless we trade and or swap for players.

It will depend on the strength of the draft but i disagree.

Next year is the last chance for an almost uncompromised draft so i think clubs will be offloading anyone with question marks.

I think we would be crazy to get rid of Nash.

He may miss targets, but that is something that can be learnt and developed. (See Jobe Watson)

Nash finds the ball and gives good run off the backline. In my best 22 without doubt.

Winderlich would be in a bit of trouble i would think. Form from 2 seasons ago can only go so far, and if he doesnt get up toward the back end of the season, well im afraid he can join Dyson in the laundry schute.
i agree about Nash, he works hard around stoppages in defense and can get in and get the contested handball out, not unlike Jobe. and when he gets the kicking right, it is a beautiful thing to watch.

Dyson is on his last legs. Winders may need a bit of luck with the body. same goes for Dempsey and I'm not sold on Williams either.

hopefully we don't have any retirements apart from Fletch. but i wouldn't be overly surprised if Lucas calls it a day due to injury.

I agree about Nash. He's more valuable than most think. Generates run and has good disposal (usually). He's a late bloomer too remember.

I've been a big fan of Winderlich since we drafted him and I hope that this latest setback is his last for a long while. He showed in 2007 when he wasn't playing how much we missed his run and carry. I'd have no hesitation putting him up there with our most important players.

Dyson is the most obvious "make of break season" case. I'm very curious to see how he treats next year.

Laycock won't be delisted next year as he just signed a 2 year contract, and the club really rate him, so unless theres a good trade on the table he'll be staying.

Thought GC17 concessions kick in next year.

They do to some extent but they don't get all the draft picks.

Next year they get access to QLD and NT players and the draft age moves up by about 3 months but as far as i know, that's all.

The year(s) after is when they dominate the drafts

Are you insinuating Watson's disposal is good or has improved? :confused:

Surely not?!? Watson's disposal is below average and with a lack of speed (which is exposed when teams attack/rebound) all he has is clearances... which is extremely good. I for one can't agree that being a clearance king gives you a start up in any AFL side. His disposal better improve otherwise I would look to move him on. Whether he is one of our best midfielders or not should not matter if he is not going to get us to the next premiership which is generally won from your midfield.

It will depend on the strength of the draft but i disagree.

Next year is the last chance for an almost uncompromised draft so i think clubs will be offloading anyone with question marks.

We already know that the depth of the draft will be weaker because you are only choosing from 2/3 of the normal pool because of changes to the drafting age.

Additionally, clubs may keep players for depth with the view to trading players to the GC for their draft selections.

The reality is that GC will be forced to trade around 1/2 of their first round draft picks, because they can't enter 2011 with a team full of 18 year olds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be gone at the end of next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back