Prediction Who will be the best key position tall forward in the game?

Who is going to be the most dominant tall forward in the next decade?

• Reily Thilthorpe

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Mac Andrew

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Max King

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Ben King

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sam Darcy

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • Jamara UH

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Logan McDonald

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Ethan Read

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Calsher Dear

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • Aaron Cadman

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Josh Treacy

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Jye Amiss

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Jacob van Rooyen

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Oscar Allen

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Shannon Neale

Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jamarra could end up being Buddy-light. Don't think he will reach the peak and consistency of Bud (nor will anyone else in the foreseeable future), but the talent is there to be something special.

Calsher Dear is a massive untapped potential. All things going right he could end up being as dominant as Carey. He has the leap to take the ball at its highest point and he has very sticky hands, but he also an excellent football IQ and is great defensively for a KPF (still only 19 as well).

Still, without a doubt, if you were picking a young key forward to build a team around right now it is Darcy and it isn't close.

Sam Darcy is going to be very hard to stop.

With such long reach and sure hands opponents basically need to infringe to stop him. He is likely to end getting almost as many frees as Charlie Curnow.
It won't be a problem with an aging Bont, as Darcy stands in the forward line watching the ball being contested at the other end of the ground...

Calsher Dear is a massive untapped potential. All things going right he could end up being as dominant as Carey. .
I've read some **** on here... But this takes the cake

Spider Man Lol GIF

It won't be a problem with an aging Bont, as Darcy stands in the forward line watching the ball being contested at the other end of the ground...

If you have a player as dominant as he could be in the air as well as another like JUH running all over the place, do you genuinely think they need to be bombing it into their forward line 15 times more than their opposition for that pair to be showing how good they are?

Caleb Daniel could be reinvented

If you have a player as dominant as he could be in the air as well as another like JUH running all over the place, do you genuinely think they need to be bombing it into their forward line 15 times more than their opposition for that pair to be showing how good they are?
Go watch Port vs Bulldogs from this year. Dogs had Darcy, Naughton and JUH out there and Port only went with Aliir and BZT. And none of them had any impact.

Naughton didn't touch the ball in the quarter he played. Darcy and JUH got 1 behind each.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go watch Port vs Bulldogs from this year. Dogs had Darcy, Naughton and JUH out there and Port only went with Aliir and BZT. And none of them had any impact.

Naughton didn't touch the ball in the quarter he played. Darcy and JUH got 1 behind each.

Good thing the thread isn’t about how good they’ll be in a game a while ago

Calsher Dear is a massive untapped potential. All things going right he could end up being as dominant as Carey. He has the leap to take the ball at its highest point and he has very sticky hands, but he also an excellent football IQ and is great defensively for a KPF (still only 19 as well).

Like all Hawthorn supporters, I love the (surprising) early signs Cal has shown but as dominant as Carey is a massive, massive call!

I can't help but wonder if you've misremembered how dominant Carey was? Many regard him as the greatest player ever! Those that don't typically have him top 2/3 of all time and no 1 key forward of all time. It's a ridiculously high bar.

Cal would certainly need to get his skates on given in the season Carey turned 22, he was already the best player in the game, the captain of his side, the captain of his state, CHF and captain of the All Australian team, etc. He was not only the best young player in the game but probably the most valuable player in the game already. (He was then AA CHF in 7 of the next 8 seasons).

Even at Cal's age, Carey already kicked 38 goals from true CHF, pushing up the ground and marking everything.

Like all Hawthorn supporters, I love the (surprising) early signs Cal has shown but as dominant as Carey is a massive, massive call!

I can't help but wonder if you've misremembered how dominant Carey was? Many regard him as the greatest player ever! Those that don't typically have him top 2/3 of all time and no 1 key forward of all time. It's a ridiculously high bar.

Cal would certainly need to get his skates on given in the season Carey turned 22, he was already the best player in the game, the captain of his side, the captain of his state, CHF and captain of the All Australian team, etc. He was not only the best young player in the game but probably the most valuable player in the game already. (He was then AA CHF in 7 of the next 8 seasons).

Even at Cal's age, Carey already kicked 38 goals from true CHF, pushing up the ground and marking everything.
Am I being overly optimistic? Perhaps.

However, the way that Calsher has burst onto the scene after only seriously committing to football in his draft year is insane.

He should be aiming to be the best because he has the talent and the football IQ to be that. If he has the drive and motivation to match those, then the sky Duck is the limit.

Am I being overly optimistic? Perhaps.

However, the way that Calsher has burst onto the scene after only seriously committing to football in his draft year is insane.

He should be aiming to be the best because he has the talent and the football IQ to be that. If he has the drive and motivation to match those, then the sky Duck is the limit.
You could still make an incredibly ambitious claim by saying someone like Curnow or Barry Hall is his ceiling.

Carey was another league above.

I'm as bullish as any non Hawk can be on Dear, but Carey... geez, no pressure on the young man lol

You could still make an incredibly ambitious claim by saying someone like Curnow or Barry Hall is his ceiling.

Carey was another league above.

If he manages to reach Curnow/Hall levels, then I and every other Hawks fan will be ecstatic.

The whole team is overperforming from where we expected this year... let me dream.

Overall I agree that the (potential of) Carey comparison is over the top.

A couple of interesting related points though:

1. Carey playedin an era where there was much greater space for key forwards to operate in (we’re all familiar with Pagan’s paddock) compared to today, which does raise the question of whether anyone will be as dominant as Carey was for the foreseeable future.

2. When it comes to Calsher Dear, sirlemship makes good points about leap, sticky hands, footy iq etc. But when it comes to strength, this is where we’ve barely scratched the surface with Calsher (as he’s only 19) and it’s what could make him truly formidable in a slightly Careyesque way.

Anyone who’s seen the 91 GF immediately understands it’s Paul Dear’s pound for pound strength, his bullocking style, that sets him apart from the rest. If that same beast exists in Calsher too and can be combined with his other already mentioned powers (though maybe too much strength dilutes them?), then who knows what he might become.

As long as you don't also say Moore will match Leigh Matthews and Day will surpass Ablett Junior's level, we're all good.
They won't. Macdonald and Watson are the ones that will do that! :cool:

Darcy and Tracey are the obvious ones at this stage. With the hype that was around Walter it will be interesting to see how he goes in future years

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Who will be the best key position tall forward in the game?

Back