Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a spectator in 2022 it would be nice to have more MCG games, I don't really believe it's the cause of us being bad at football though, nor can I really speak to how much commercially we've benefitted or missed out because of the games we play at Marvel.
Yeah but hypothetically knowing what you know now.

Would you move us to Marvel in 1999?

Yeah but hypothetically knowing what you know now.

Would you move us to Marvel in 1999?

As a supporter I'd enjoy more MCG games, but as I said, commercially I've got no idea whether we're better off staying or going.

I don't think our on-field fortunes would differ either way, so I really don't have strong feelings on the topic.

As a supporter I'd enjoy more MCG games, but as I said, commercially I've got no idea whether we're better off staying or going.

I don't think our on-field fortunes would differ either way, so I really don't have strong feelings on the topic.
Soooo you wouldn't move?

Fan enjoyment - MCG
Commercial - No idea
On field - Equal

Fair summary of your opinion?

Last edited:
And how did that work out for us?
From memory because dons were the first club to make the move we got the biggest cash reward per game.

It never really sat well with me though. We went from so many MCG games in the season having total 50-70k people turn up to now max filling up a 45k docklands stadium.
First few years there was also loads of issues with the grass turf cruelling players which must've impacted the Dons as well.
Our playing ability became less and less when we did play at the MCG.

From memory because dons were the first club to make the move we got the biggest cash reward per game.

It never really sat well with me though. We went from so many MCG games in the season having total 50-70k people turn up to now max filling up a 45k docklands stadium.
First few years there was also loads of issues with the grass turf cruelling players which must've impacted the Dons as well.
Our playing ability became less and less when we did play at the MCG.
Our home average dropped around 9k moving MCG to Marvel.

About right, given the move was done for commercial reasons, without having the full picture commercially - hindsight or no hindsight - you can't make much of a declaration.
Sure you can. It's a hypothetical, you don't need all the facts.

I for one would still move 100% because I prefer Marvel to MCG.

Sure you can. It's a hypothetical, you don't need all the facts.

I for one would still move 100% because I prefer Marvel to MCG.

I prefer watching games at the MCG, but not enough that if the commercial side of the club was way better off due to the move I'd say they shouldn't move.

I also don't think it's a determiner of long-term club success or failure since the move.

I really dislike Docklands.

The MCG has always had a superior atmosphere and fan experience, I especially enjoyed in the Lindsay Hassett room.

Front Bar at the Royal Hotel is also a must

What bothered me about the move was the refusal to accept any questions at the AGM when it was voted on. Smacked of the board not giving a **** about what it's members thought, which I think has had knock on effects to the current day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a shit statement. It's basically calling us a bunch of front runners whilst trying to be diplomatic about it. And that's apparently our next captain.

It’s also … true?
I'd rather a nothing statement honestly. He's trying to say something constructive without pissing anyone off.

I'd rather a nothing statement honestly. He's trying to say something constructive without pissing anyone off.
I thought it was a fair enough take. He's speaking pretty vaguely there to the media which is understandable but he would know internally what some of the real issues are/were so hopefully they can address and learn from them.

I thought it was a fair enough take. He's speaking pretty vaguely there to the media which is understandable but he would know internally what some of the real issues are/were so hopefully they can address and learn from them.
As I said, I'd rather all or nothing in the statement. Not this vaguely alluding to it but not actually saying it.

I prefer watching games at the MCG, but not enough that if the commercial side of the club was way better off due to the move I'd say they shouldn't move.

I also don't think it's a determiner of long-term club success or failure since the move.

I think it would be interesting to see what would've been the outcome if we'd stayed at the MCG and Windy Hill for training. I wonder if those two things have had an impact on the team in some way.

I think it would be interesting to see what would've been the outcome if we'd stayed at the MCG and Windy Hill for training. I wonder if those two things have had an impact on the team in some way.

Windy Hill was (and is still) a second rate facility.

The terms of the lease made it pretty difficult or impossible for the club to create first class facilities at that site without the Bowls, Croquet and Cricket Clubs all agreeing to move given we couldn't force them out.

Sure, it might have some soul or history that Tullamarine doesn't, but Collingwood and Hawthorn have both relocated from their historical homes and managed to win Premierships. Hell, South Melbourne and Fitzroy moved states and won Premierships.

It sounds nice as a supporter to think that the history of Windy Hill would somehow offset the organisation being run like an amateur club from the 1940s, but it simply wasn't up the scratch in the modern era. The move was necessary for the club to establish a genuine high-performance training facility.

The terms of the lease made it pretty difficult or impossible for the club to create first class facilities at that site without the Bowls, Croquet and Cricket Clubs all agreeing to move given we couldn't force them out.

Sure, it might have some soul or history that Tullamarine doesn't, but Collingwood and Hawthorn have both relocated from their historical homes and managed to win Premierships. Hell, South Melbourne and Fitzroy moved states and won Premierships.

It sounds nice as a supporter to think that the history of Windy Hill would somehow offset the organisation being run like an amateur club from the 1940s, but it simply wasn't up the scratch in the modern era. The move was necessary for the club to establish a genuine high-performance training facility.
Similar to how Geelong playing home games at Kardinia, West Coast at Subiaco/Optus, Hawthorn at Marvel and York Park and Sydney at the SCG didn't stop them from winning flags.

Fans like to believe there's a reason why they've been shit. But usually there is no reason, they're just shit.

But if we're talking hypotheticals... by staying at Windy Hill I meant that they somehow managed to find a way to upgrade the facilities (and keep everyone happy) and stay there. And under those circumstances would we have been better off considering the culture associated with the location.

Does anyone talk about the other team that have moved regarding their new home bases feeling souless?

Team sporting grounds and the affect on a team are an interesting thing.

Geelong seems to have been on the edge for years to leave Kardinia Park and yet they've invested in it and now its a ground they both make a lot of money and have a home ground advantage. Would they would not have been successful without playing there.
Carlton and Footscray both have alluded in recent years they were looking at options to develop their home grounds for AFL matches and increased gate receipts.
Surely Dons playing at a ground that multiple others have played has removed an edge some other teams notably interstate have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back