Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think these types of moves are great... once you have the likes of Oliver and Petracca locked up. Two guys who pretty early on show they are going to be physically dominant stars in the area of most importance. If not; you are trying to renovate a knock down house and you're doomed to failure only delaying the inevitable.

I don't think we have those players.
No, it's laying a foundation so guys like Oliver and Petracca can become stars

No, it's laying a foundation so guys like Oliver and Petracca can become stars
Nah. Fact is if they made this type of move before securing those talents, they would not have won a flag with Parish or McCartin in their stead. You need the raw talent with the high ceiling.

That has literally been us since 2017 and it didnt flourish any young talent.

Last edited:
Nah. Fact is if they made this type of move before securing those talents, they would not have won a flag with Parish or McCartin in their stead. You need the raw talent with the high ceiling.

That has literally been us since 2017 and it didnt flourish any young talent.
Think it's more than just talented picks.

If we drafted Petracca he may've developed into a Henry Slattery under our development program. It's the main reason why we'll never know if Dodoro was any good or not.

Vince, Cross and Lewis seem like they might’ve been important for changing their culture from what it was into something capable of supporting a premiership side
I get that from Duursma. Plus we are such a better side with Duursma. 3-4 more of him please.

Tom Stewart 🥳

Hindsight is a wonderful drug.

Problem being that Essendon would turn ToM Stewart into Nik Cox. As much as I love to shit on Dodo (and he deserves every bit of it), draft accuracy and development have contributed equally to our putrid state. Elite programs foster elite performance (Hawthorn - D’Ambrossio), amateur programs foster amateur output (Cox, Perkins, laverde, weideman, Heppell, 2MP, Jones, Parish, Menzie, Davey etc etc).

I think these types of moves are great... once you have the likes of Oliver and Petracca locked up.

Fact is if they made this type of move before securing those talents

Petracca was drafted in 2014, and Oliver in 2015.

So they made some of those moves before securing those talents.

Almost like they realised the culture was ****ed, then brought in guys that would support fixing the culture once they'd identified this, before drafting the superstars in to an environment more conducive to them becoming superstars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, what a nonsense 'article'. Got an 'easy draw' because he previously worked at AFL House??? Can't coach, but doesn't have the players - which one is it? Merrett is soft? The development of the mentioned players, was done by others? Come on, get some facts right.
I'm starting to think Scott isn't right for us, but stuff like this is laughable.

I think these types of moves are great... once you have the likes of Oliver and Petracca locked up. Two guys who pretty early on show they are going to be physically dominant stars in the area of most importance. If not; you are trying to renovate a knock down house and you're doomed to failure only delaying the inevitable.

I don't think we have those players.
You can draw a similar line although it depends on how we draft into the future.
Roos/Goodwin started at the end of the 2013 season .
Before they had played a game
2013 trade / FA was Michie / Tyson / Vince / Cross / Riley and drafted Salem / Hunt / Jetta / Harmes (only listed the long term players)

If you run the same line with us then Scott started at the end of 2022 but had limited input but before he coached a game our trade / FA
2022 Setterfield / Weideman and the draft was Tsatas / Hayes / Davey / Davey .

Melbourne 2014. Trade / FA . Frost / Garlett / Lumumba / Newton . Draft . Petracca / Brayshaw / Neal-Bullen/ Stretch / O McDonald.

Essendon 2023 . Trade / FA . Goldstein / Gresham / McKay / Duursma . Draft . Caddy / Lual / Roberts / Visentini / El-Hawi (mid season 2024).

Melbourne 2015 . Trade / FA . Bugg / Kennedy / Melksham . Draft . Oliver / Weideman / King / Hulet / Wagner.

Essendon 2024 ??

Melbourne players of note drafted before Roos / Goodwin that played for at least 3 or 4 or so years under Roos / Goodwin .
Nathan Jones. Lynden Dunn. Jared Rivers. Brent Moloney. James Frawley. Colin Garland. Neville Jetta. Max Gawn. Tom McDonald. Jack Viney. Jesse Hogan.

Players at the club before Roos / Goodwin coached a game that played in the GF. Gawn. McDonald. Salem. Viney. Harmes. Hunt (emg)

Of course we will have to nail the next couple of drafts but Melbourne did not have a bunch of super stars on the production line when they started bringing in some cheap role players to help change a bit of the culture and while some where pretty handy to reasonably good there where a few that where just plain average.

What we do from here well who knows but this is an example of a club that built a premiership after years of bad builds and wasted top end picks and it was not all champagne and caviar stuff. There where some real misses in it all as well.

Maybe this is all a blessing in disguise enabling us the opportunity this year to cull our list accordingly in order to build under a new drafting regime.

Weideman - KF
Guelfi - F
Setterfield = M
Kelly - D
Hind - Utility
Heppell - D
Baldwin - D

7 Spots is a solid changeover & then the possibility of a Shiel trade...

You can draw a similar line although it depends on how we draft into the future.
Roos/Goodwin started at the end of the 2013 season .
Before they had played a game
2013 trade / FA was Michie / Tyson / Vince / Cross / Riley and drafted Salem / Hunt / Jetta / Harmes (only listed the long term players)

If you run the same line with us then Scott started at the end of 2022 but had limited input but before he coached a game our trade / FA
2022 Setterfield / Weideman and the draft was Tsatas / Hayes / Davey / Davey .

Melbourne 2014. Trade / FA . Frost / Garlett / Lumumba / Newton . Draft . Petracca / Brayshaw / Neal-Bullen/ Stretch / O McDonald.

Essendon 2023 . Trade / FA . Goldstein / Gresham / McKay / Duursma . Draft . Caddy / Lual / Roberts / Visentini / El-Hawi (mid season 2024).

Melbourne 2015 . Trade / FA . Bugg / Kennedy / Melksham . Draft . Oliver / Weideman / King / Hulet / Wagner.

Essendon 2024 ??

Melbourne players of note drafted before Roos / Goodwin that played for at least 3 or 4 or so years under Roos / Goodwin .
Nathan Jones. Lynden Dunn. Jared Rivers. Brent Moloney. James Frawley. Colin Garland. Neville Jetta. Max Gawn. Tom McDonald. Jack Viney. Jesse Hogan.

Players at the club before Roos / Goodwin coached a game that played in the GF. Gawn. McDonald. Salem. Viney. Harmes. Hunt (emg)

Of course we will have to nail the next couple of drafts but Melbourne did not have a bunch of super stars on the production line when they started bringing in some cheap role players to help change a bit of the culture and while some where pretty handy to reasonably good there where a few that where just plain average.

What we do from here well who knows but this is an example of a club that built a premiership after years of bad builds and wasted top end picks and it was not all champagne and caviar stuff. There where some real misses in it all as well.

I don't mind the strategy in general, but we are kidding ourselves if we think the talent we have is enough to take us to flags even if all reach their zenith of potential. We need superstar level talent, not found in mid table finishes very often and this strategy will lead us to more mid table finishes. I'd prefer we take more mature age players out of state leagues who have often proven to be amazing quality without much development. I think the strike rate with them is far greater than the taking mature c graders from other club.

Last edited:
honestly, i think a big part of the problem is strength and development, our players look weak around the context and get bumped off the ball, not just our talls, but even our smalls etc just get knocked off the ball like its nothing, or don't seem to want the ball and are scared of getting tackled, it looked that way for the second half of the season, we need a Sam Mitchell type in and under, handball-out runner.

anyway, why not see geelong as a prime example. If i recall in late 2006 they looked like us right now, skinny, unsure and then in 2007 after the preseason, they suddenly looked really big bodied and could run all game, and had that great year, they even won the premiership, now i don't know who was in charge of fitness and development at the time, but it worked and really quickly, maybe that's what we kinda need also just so we can run out games and not be afraid at the contest...

Last edited:
Some of the players took a step forward by going overseas for a two week training camp but that’s only one step in the right direction.
Rome wasn’t built in a day and if they thought 2 weeks of extra training was going to help them catch up to the rest of the competition they were wrong.

They looked alright early in the season but they are behind the 8 ball. One of the many reasons we drop off every year as the season goes on.

I don't mind the strategy in general, but we are kidding ourselves if we think the talent we have is enough to take us to flags even if all reach their zenith of potential. We need superstar level talent, not found in mid table finishes very often and this strategy will lead us to more mid table finishes. I'd prefer we take more mature age players out of state leagues who have often proven to be amazing quality without much development. I think the strike rate with them is far greater than the taking mature c graders from other club.
That is why I said it depends on what we draft going forward. The whole point is you still need new guys floating in and out along with the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back