Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today.... part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminder: This isn't the Israel/Hamas thread. Go to the Israel/Hamas thread if you want to talk about that. Thanks.

Last edited:
Maybe we need morality police to go around checking people for culturally acceptable attire?

Sunnies and thongs from a servo? Approved!

Havaianas and linen sun shirt? Out!
Try walking naked in public and see what happens. Nudity is the norm for the animal kingdom, but taboo for humans. We're a weird species.

Many countries have successfully banned the Burqa. This is hardly an outrageous suggestion
Which ones? I can't recall any Western countries doing it.

I agree that it is not a good practice for many reasons, but naively I think maybe education is a better route away from these sorts of practices.

Laws against FORCING women to wear them would of course be good. Maybe coercive control laws would work? I haven't read them though.

Try walking naked in public and see what happens. Nudity is the norm for the animal kingdom, but taboo for humans. We're a weird species.
How long until they let you out of the lockup?

Look at the spread of primary votes from the last federal election and tell me whether you think the SRP is representative of Australian voters.

I'm aware that my opposition to organised religion is an outlier that will not be adopted into policy by any major political party - that includes the Greens.

You're safe from us evil atheists for now!

Is there some sort of rule that the SRP needs to be representative of Aussie voters?
I think, no.

Atheists aren't evil. They're just people like everyone else.
Atheists: Religious people are so judgy.
Also atheists: what sort of an idiot believes in a sky fairy. We should ban religion.

Is there some sort of rule that the SRP needs to be representative of Aussie voters?
I think, no.
Never said it had to be representative. You missed the point.
Atheists aren't evil. They're just people like everyone else.
Atheists: Religious people are so judgy.
I don't care if they're judgemental.
Also atheists: what sort of an idiot believes in a sky fairy.
I wouldn't say they're stupid, just delusional in that area. Many are unable to move past childhood indoctrination and look at their theism objectively.
We should ban religion.
A vast majority of atheists do not want to ban religion. I don't know anyone who does want to ban it - as I said, your fears are unfounded.

Never said it had to be representative. You missed the point.

I don't care if they're judgemental.

I wouldn't say they're stupid, just delusional in that area. Many are unable to move past childhood indoctrination and look at their theism objectively.

A vast majority of atheists do not want to ban religion. I don't know anyone who does want to ban it - as I said, your fears are unfounded.

It would be a can of worms, is belief in "Ghosts" for example a religion? It could be if you structured it that way.
How do you ban religions?
Official Organisations?
Gatherings?
Prayers before bed time?

You're using a very narrow definition of patriarchy - look at the second and third definitions below.

The entire works of the main Abrahamic books, including the Qur'an, were written by men in the 7th century or earlier. There is no input by women in the Qur'an.

Definition of patriarchy:
1. A social system in which the father is the head of the family.
2. A family, community, or society based on this system or governed by men.
3. Dominance of a society by men, or the values that uphold such dominance.
The American Heritage® Dictionary
None of which infers that patriarchs are aholes, which confirms that no one should be using the term as a pejorative.

Just as no one should be using the term woke as a pejorative.

It's in bad faith
To say the burqa is merely cultural clothing is similar to saying that limiting education for girls is a cultural rule. I'm surprised you'd equate the burqa to pizza or cricket; it's just not cricket!
Either or, the similarity it is that neither pizza or a burqa are not a cultural or societal threat. So what's the worry?

Yeah I get it's an oppressive symbol for muslim women, but that's none of our business, if it is used as an oppressive tool against Australian women or against Australian society, then we have a problem, until then we shouldn't be using it in bad faith to criticize islam.
With due respect, we're discussing Islam in this thread.
With due respect, I get the impression that 10571z and yourself are using the 'burqa is oppressive' in bad faith to criticize islam.

If islam starts effecting me or our society directly then I'll jump on the fear bandwagon.

Until then, as much as I dislike islam as a religion, I will acknowledge anyone's right to practice this faith so long as that does not effect our society.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I’d suggest most wouldn’t. Would you be ok with child marriages? Many women in Afghanistan are married well below 18?

No. There are US states where this is legal. A majority Christian country.

But you don't have an issue with christian immigrants, do you?

Interesting take. I can’t imagine many would agree a circumcision is on par with sewing your daughters vagina up to preserve her virginity but you do you…

My point is mutilating your child's genitals is sick, evil, twisted.

Regardless of gender.

Yet here you are, arguing against that.

Australian values, you say. Go wave ya flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today.... part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back