Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today.... part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminder: This isn't the Israel/Hamas thread. Go to the Israel/Hamas thread if you want to talk about that. Thanks.

Last edited:
If you shoot guns randomly routinely , you will have routine deaths.

Shooting of people at schools is different.
As Australia identified , if you can't get your hands on an Automatic weapon when you go off the rails, then you won't be able to kill so many people.

You are correct - school shootings are much worse than celebratory gunfire.

If you shoot guns randomly routinely , you will have routine deaths.

Shooting of people at schools is different.
As Australia identified , if you can't get your hands on an Automatic weapon when you go off the rails, then you won't be able to kill so many people.s
I misunderstood. You mean the shooting up in the air in a fireworks style celebration which lands on someone?

That's cultural too. And if yor society is safety conscious enough or enough of a nanny state if that's your view of it. It gets based and practice gone like fireworks in Australia

If something occurs a lot more in one culture tan another. It's cultural - pretty much definitively so.

Murder happens in every culture, but surely you'd acknowledge that America's higher rates are connected to cultural attitudes towards guns and/or other cultural factors?

What?
Murder is not cultural.
Easier access to lethal weapons doesn't make murder cultural.

What?
Murder is not cultural.
Easier access to lethal weapons doesn't make murder cultural.
Of course rates of murder are impacted by cultural factors as are rates of dv, suicide, theft, divorce, marriage, etc...

And of course one culture choosing to have easier access to weapons is cultural.

What do you think culture is? A book, some clothes, festivals and food? Anything else?

Last edited:
Of course rates of murder are impacted by cultural factors as are rates of dv, suicide, theft, divorce, marriage, etc...

And of course one culture having easier access to weapons is cultural.

What do you think culture is? A book, some clothes, festivals and food? Anything else?

You just made the argument that America has higher rates of murder because of gun controls.

Gun controls are not cultural.
58% of Americans favour stricter gun laws.

If gun controls were cultural then I would imagine that the majority would be not be in favour of stricter controls.

You just made the argument that America has higher rates of murder because of gun controls.

Gun controls are not cultural.
58% of Americans favour stricter gun laws.

If gun controls were cultural then I would imagine that the majority would be not be in favour of stricter controls.

Why do you think different cultures have different laws that prioritise different things? Do you think that laws just fall from the sky? Do you then think that these laws don't then impact or shape a culture at all.

Last edited:
Why do you think different cultures have different laws that prioritise different things? Do you think that laws just fall from the sky? Do you then think that these laws don't then impact or shape a culture at all.

Yes, laws fall from the sky.

It’s a constitutional principle. It’s not cultural.
There is a constitutional principle protecting the right to have guns that exists for historical and cultural reasons. And which has also almost certainly continued to impact cultural attitudes towards gun ownership up until the present day.

And frankly, regardless of how or why, America has a different culture around gun ownership than most other countries. I can't believe I'm having to justify this comment. It really isn't debateable.

There is a constitutional principle protecting the right to have guns that exists for historical and cultural reasons. And which has also almost certainly continued to impact cultural attitudes towards gun ownership up until the present day.

And frankly, regardless of how or why, America has a different culture around gun ownership than most other countries. I can't believe I'm having to justify this comment. It really isn't debateable.
Thats a fair reply. Granted.

For me the issue is X number of school shootings every year. Wonder why that is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Less than half of Americans own a gun. That stat has been the same for the last 50 years.

1726483941115.png

Less than half of Americans own a gun. That stat has been the same for the last 50 years.

View attachment 2112806
Yes. As the graph shows, the rates of gun ownership are high in America and have been for over 50 years. Guns play a much bigger part in their culture than most other non war torn cultures. And in some states it's well above those rates. But hey, continue to argue the unarguable because it somehow connects to some claim you made a couple of weeks ago, which you couldn't possibly walk back. That's not the bigfooty way.

Last edited:
Most Americans use their guns responsibly.
However when someone has a little "off the rails episode" , it doesn't help that they can quickly and easily get their hands on an automatic weapon.

Crazy Fred running down the street of Sydney with a machete, is no match for Crazy Larry running down the street of Detroit with a machine gun.

Most Americans use their guns responsibly.
However when someone has a little "off the rails episode" , it doesn't help that they can quickly and easily get their hands on an automatic weapon.

Crazy Fred running down the street of Sydney with a machete, is no match for Crazy Larry running down the street of Detroit with a machine gun.

Big difference between semi-auto and full automatic.

View attachment 2112806
What are the current numbers of weapons in circulation over there?

Plus... did they count the people in possession of unregistered guns? Stolen guns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today.... part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back