Player Watch Will Hamill - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t realise how quick he actually is. I’d almost back him to chase down Charlie Cameron.

Agree with others he’s improving every week

Former state and national champion sprinter and jumper. I've seen him run at state champs and he could've been competing for a spot at Tokyo in either the long or triple jump.
The kid will be a 200 gamer, he's a gun

Random fact but Shaun Atley has played 218 games of football.

Shaun Atley. 218 games.
Are you serious?? No way!! He was touted as a pretty solid prospect back in the day. He’s just plodded along hasn’t he. Even Ziebell is 30! And what even is he, like what is his role? A loose man? He was meant to be the next Nathan Buckley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaun Atley was most compared to Chris Judd in his draft year comps

The Herald Sun’s Jay Clark wrote in his Phantom Draft:

"8. Essendon - Shaun Atley
Resembles: Chris Judd (Carlton)
Could be a steal for the Bombers as he is rated top-five by some. Inside midfielder has burst of speed and great awareness in tight."”

Knightmare:
#12 (Melbourne) – Shaun Atley (VIC)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 13/09/1992
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Player comparison: Luke Hodge/ Chris Judd
Style: 5-12

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Chris Judd - can win the ball in a contested situation and feed it out to team mates.”

The Herald Sun’s Jay Clark wrote in his Phantom Draft:

"8. Essendon - Shaun Atley
Resembles: Chris Judd (Carlton)
Could be a steal for the Bombers as he is rated top-five by some. Inside midfielder has burst of speed and great awareness in tight."”

Knightmare:
#12 (Melbourne) – Shaun Atley (VIC)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 13/09/1992
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Player comparison: Luke Hodge/ Chris Judd
Style: 5-12

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Chris Judd - can win the ball in a contested situation and feed it out to team mates.”

The 9 clubs that passed over him in the first round including Gold Coast who passed on him 8 times got that one right

I just find it funny how that assessment came to be. I have never once looked at Shaun Atley and thought "yep that guy plays like Chris Judd". Ever. Not even in his first few years.

I think it’s worse than that, more telling

Emma Quayle in the age, and Kevin Sheehan both posted his standard “in your own words” answers where he described himself in his own words as admiring and modelling his game on Chris Judd

everyone just lazily aped his words, and thought that’ll do

shows how little effort really goes into some of these draft profiles

I just find it funny how that assessment came to be. I have never once looked at Shaun Atley and thought "yep that guy plays like Chris Judd". Ever. Not even in his first few years.
Funny, I recall thinking Shaun Atley when watching Judd one time. Judd’s shoelaces were undone and I thought who would be appropriate to tie those up. Then I thought, nah, not Atley.

I'm always surprised when I see Atley is still playing football. He just goes completely unnoticed every year to the point where I feel like he gave it up early.

Fwiw the comparisons early on I think made sense in terms of style. He was a quick and daring player, but just never developed.

HAMILL RE-SIGNS WITH CROWS TO 2024

Running defender Will Hamill has become the latest Crow to re-commit to the Club by signing a two-year contract extension.

The 20-year-old who made his AFL debut last year was not out of contract until next season and will now remain with Adelaide until at least 2024.

Hamill was drafted from the Dandenong Stingrays with Pick No.30 in 2018 and played 20 games in the SANFL in 2019 before emerging at AFL level with eight games in 2020.

This season he has played 12 games at half-back where he has impressed with his speed, ability to defend and willingness to take on the opposition.

Adelaide General Manager List Management and Strategy Justin Reid said it was exciting for the Club to secure Hamill for at least the next three years.

“Will is one of a number of young players who are emerging together and who represent the future of the Club,” Reid said.

“He has proven he can play at the level and we are excited that he has recommitted to the direction we are heading, so we look forward to seeing him continue to develop into a quality AFL footballer.”

Hamill said the decision to re-sign was an easy one.

“I’ve loved my time at the footy club so far and I’m really excited about what we can achieve as a group in the coming years,” he said.

“I’m enjoying working on my game with the coaches and being part of such a young playing group so I couldn’t be happier to re-sign for another two seasons.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Will Hamill - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back