Will Mathew Nicks get fired before he coaches a win?

• Yes

Votes: 47 78.3%
  • Also yes

Votes: 27 45.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Nicks really reckon after this game was the time to talk about how much he loves the players?

Like mate, maybe that's part of the problem- that you're not interested in judging them on performance?

Thats what the final nail in the coffin for me was, the meek pathetic attitude that he has, resonates with Chapman - another mealy mouthed idiot.

“The vision should be (to make the Crows) the most respected and successful (team) in the country,” Fagan said.

“That is my history ... deliver the best football program because that is what you can control. Put the right people in the right seats - and get the right system in place.

“That is the focus for me - give the Adelaide Crows the best football progam in the AFL.”

Going well so far.
#Faganout the man is a fraud. Ruined the Brumbies, ruined us. Only here because nobody else is dumb enough to hire him. Utterly useless.

Hmm yeah I think I can pass at least some judgment now. No sign of anything even resembling improvement or strategy, or movement away from pathetic selections. Nicks is looking pretty useless. Surely if he was any good we would have seen something by now.

Yeah I'm inclined to believe the same - there just doesn't appear to be a clear strategy.

Listening to his presser, when asked about Gibbs, he copped out and said he couldn't gauge Gibbs form and it was too hard to make a call on him. Why is it so hard to say he's not AFL standard? Anybody with eyes and a functioning brain can see it.

Even if you don't single him out, how about just including among a "number of guys who didn't deliver an AFL quality performance today".

Hmm yeah I think I can pass at least some judgment now. No sign of anything even resembling improvement or strategy, or movement away from pathetic selections. Nicks is looking pretty useless. Surely if he was any good we would have seen something by now.

I'm beginning to wonder whether he's just letting the line coaches run with what they were doing last year.

There seems to be no noticeable difference from last year tactically, I'm seeing personnel changes but not a lot of difference tactically.

The fact that we've rotated so many players through the middle and have been continuously getting spanked in the middle suggests the game plan (or lack of one) is a massive issue.

Interesting Nicksy apologising to supporters. I have never seen the value but Coaches can't play that card too often. It is almost a get out of jail free card so he wouldn't want too many more performances like that over the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This aged well

To be honest I expected more after the Essendon game.

I was critical of SouthernTakerOver's take on Nicks, but maybe he's right because I now don't see us getting a win this year.

Unless things change next year, the risk is definitely there that Matthew Nicks never records a win.

Last edited:
After a year like this, I think we'll be going hard to bring Ross Lyon in as a "senior assistant" or "coaching director".

Nicks' tenure is very quickly giving off the smell of a Sando (Post Bailey suspension), Leppitsche, Bolton or Primus. We need to bring in some serious coaching support if he's to survive.

Senior management have had their collective heads buried in the sand for the past 2-3 years as to where we were going and the issues at our club. We thought we'd see another "Sando spike" and pressure release by changing coach.

For 30 years, we've been well known for our competitiveness, even in our worst years we've still been moderately competitive. Our worst season prior to this was 2011 where we went 7-15 with a % of 79.4%.

This year is a complete and utter embarrassment for Chapman, Fagan and Roo. Whichever way they spin it, this is their baby. Talent will take a while to rebuild, but they're going to want to build some competitiveness soon or members will drop away sharper than a Sando spike.

I would then expect Ross to be installed as senior coach within 12-18 months of arriving at our club. Unfortunately as a coach, it becomes very difficult to break the "losing coach" mold. Whether it was the plan or not, Nicks will be used as an interim coach, to start the rebuild before someone comes in and takes all the credit.

After a year like this, I think we'll be going hard to bring Ross Lyon in as a "senior assistant" or "coaching director".

Nicks' tenure is very quickly giving off the smell of a Sando (Post Bailey suspension), Leppitsche, Bolton or Primus. We need to bring in some serious coaching support if he's to survive.

Senior management have had their collective heads buried in the sand for the past 2-3 years as to where we were going and the issues at our club. We thought we'd see another "Sando spike" and pressure release by changing coach.

For 30 years, we've been well known for our competitiveness, even in our worst years we've still been moderately competitive. Our worst season prior to this was 2011 where we went 7-15 with a % of 79.4%.

This year is a complete and utter embarrassment for Chapman, Fagan and Roo. Whichever way they spin it, this is their baby. Talent will take a while to rebuild, but they're going to want to build some competitiveness soon or members will drop away sharper than a Sando spike.

I would then expect Ross to be installed as senior coach within 12-18 months of arriving at our club. Unfortunately as a coach, it becomes very difficult to break the "losing coach" mold. Whether it was the plan or not, Nicks will be used as an interim coach, to start the rebuild before someone comes in and takes all the credit.
Sanderson shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as those other 3, who themselves shouldn't be talked about in the same breath as Nicks' name.

I agree and add that it’s like they wrote the year off before it started. They decided that they won’t give Nicks anybody because they have to pay out Burton, Pyke and Campo. Hoping we can have a gap year after all the talk that if we need to overpay the soft cap they will.

The board has a lot to explain, I really do feel sorry for Nicks

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does Nicks really reckon after this game was the time to talk about how much he loves the players?

Like mate, maybe that's part of the problem- that you're not interested in judging them on performance?

I’m not defending him overall, but to be fair though in this situation there was a context to it - what he said was I love the players and everyone BUT today was nowhere near the level.

He wasn’t just saying how much he loves them, he was saying despite how much he likes them the reality is that it was unacceptable

I’m not defending him overall, but to be fair though in this situation there was a context to it - what he said was I love the players and everyone BUT today was nowhere near the level.

He wasn’t just saying how much he loves them, he was saying despite how much he likes them the reality is that it was unacceptable

That is what he was saying... but why did he feel that he couldn’t be blunt and honest with them... if he really respected them and had their respect, does he need to state the obvious first? I’m not sure.

I feel so sorry for the guy (or any guy who takes over this team). The last coach lost this playing group. They downed tools for the whole world to see. If he loses them too, his career as a head coach is probably over before the end of this season. Man I dont envy him. Its actually hard to watch.

It makes me cringe. I read some of the things he said in that interview. But I couldn’t watch it. I started to, but it was just... I felt embarrassed for him.. I’m not a fan of his, but none of this is on him imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back