Worst coach sacking in VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

My memory only goes back to Devine. So in 35 or so years Geelong have only had 4 coaches and none of them sacked.
Yeah it’s just come to mind …I’ve got an encyclopaedic memory of a lot of footy history but I honestly couldn’t tell you about any Geelong coaches pre 1980 except Davis back in the ancient times.

AndI think Blight left on his own accord and didn’t get pushed out

Grant Thomas for me was always a strange one. Literally got sacked just after an EF, and that was after making prelims in the previous 2 years.
Hank Scorpio was one of the craziest Presidents we ever had

homer simpson hank scorpio GIF

Brett Ratten for Carlton. We were decimated with injuries in 2012, not his fault we didn't make finals that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond

1974 - Tom Hafey coaches Tigers to Premiership (his 4th, by the way)
1976 - Tom Hafey forced out by the board (technically he resigned, but jumped before the push)

1980 - Tony Jewel coaches Tigers to Premiership
1981 - Tony Jewel Sacked

If someone asks 'Why were Richmond so sh!t through the 80s and 90s?' - see exhibit A above. 6 coaches through the 1980s (well, Tony Jewel had 2 goes) and 5 through the 90s.

By being complete shit ?

We lost our last 8 games under him by an average of 45 points. The wheels had fallen off.

Read Pavlichs biography. For a guy who never says anything controversial he really gets stuck into Harvey. The players hated him.
By the time the end of 2011 rolled around you guys could barely field 22 fit guys from memory. In the last round you needed to ask special permission from the AFL to play rookie listed Casey Sibosado or something.

By being complete shit ?

We lost our last 8 games under him by an average of 45 points. The wheels had fallen off.

Read Pavlichs biography. For a guy who never says anything controversial he really gets stuck into Harvey. The players hated him.

It was still a total hit job though, you can’t deny that.

Brutal more so than ‘Worse’.

Undeniably smart business by Freo but probably set the tone for Ross Lyon’s entire tenure too in hindsight.

Yeah but that’s just a another sordid part of Carlton’s pathetic coaching history ( apart from Parkin) that’s quite frankly..extremely boring.
Well the last time a coach who's surname wasn't Sheedy won a finals game at Essendon was back in 1968!

I would say one of our post David Parkin era coaches Ratts, was better than any of the coaches the Bombers have had post Kevin Sheedy as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back