Would you rather go undefeated then lose the GF to your biggest rival or go winless?

Remove this Banner Ad

The years that the Pies have made the GF have all been great, full of highlights and memorable wins that even losing the GF hasn't spoilt. Besides, we don't hold many records anymore so each one we lose puts us further ahead as the team that's best at losing grand finals.

Losing to Freo would be no different than any other team for me. Sure, some of the bandwagon Freo fans would be insufferable but that is the same with every team.

I've pretty much watched my team go undefeated and then lose the grand final, and I'd still pick that over going winless. Watching footy every week is incredibly enjoyable when your team is up and about. If we went winless for a year I can't see how you'd enjoy watching your team get flogged each week regardless of the implications for the future.

Yep, losing grand finals sucks but I still always want to be a part of it. So much fun heading into grandfinal week.

Id always rather lose a grandfinal than a prelim too. When you lose a prelim you feel like the whole year amounted to nothing. Making the grand final, you at least get to be a part of that grand final week excitement.

Undefeated for sure. 08 was bad and still hurts in a way, but you only cop it from Hawks supporters. If you're winless you cop it from everyone and I think it'd be harder to see the light anytime in the future. But if you lose the big one you can at least hope that you can win it next year.

Undefeated. Easily. Trying to get through a season where you lose every single week would be ****ing shit. Footy is fun when you're winning, and i'd rather have a full season of happiness and fun than being sad about how shit my team is.

Yep, losing grand finals sucks but I still always want to be a part of it. So much fun heading into grandfinal week.

Id always rather lose a grandfinal than a prelim too. When you lose a prelim you feel like the whole year amounted to nothing. Making the grand final, you at least get to be a part of that grand final week excitement.
This is a good point

Different sport altogether but as an Everton fan I felt more pain at losing the 2012 (albeit to our biggest rival) and 2016 FA cup semi-finals than losing the 2009 final

I'd rather at least be relevant. It's pretty hard to maintain a genuine rivalry when you are constantly getting your arse handed to you every week.
Pies fans will always hate us over 02 and 03 and were loving the fact it was us v Carlton for the spoon last year. Obviously they will always hate Carlton more but there's still a rivalry between us and them even though we've been irrelevant for over a decade (if you want proof they produced a massive thread on their board about Jack Redden wanting to leave us last year, even though it had nothing to do with them - definitely wouldn't have produced that thread about a Footscray or GWS player)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

undefeated/lost GF for sure, reload then smack the comp next year.
As much as '08 hurt for the Cats I'm sure they were somewhat content with the 3 years that followed. It would have been a hell of a lot more fun then what we went through

I can't really imagine what team would shit me the most to lose to in a GF though... probably Hawthorn if they were still 4peating

Undefeated and lose GF for sure. At least the previous 6 months would have been fun rather than misery. Winter seems to go faster when your team is winning. Doesn't matter who you lose a GF to, it's still painful whether it's your biggest rival or some other inoffensive side like Melbourne or Port (speaking as a North fan here).

Undefeated/lose to rival for sure. Life is so much more fun when you're winning, even if it's just regular games.

Also since footy is everywhere in Melbourne, it's much easier to do a media blackout for 3 days after a GF loss than try and avoid footy for 6 months when you're pitiful.

You don't seem to understand sports. See the post below.
So where in tbe OP does it state the future follow on effects or ramifications of either scenario? The question was simple would you rather go undefeated and lose in the GF. Or would you rather go winless? I stand by my whats difference answer because at the end of the day both teams havent won anything.

Winless, 2008 was a complete waste. If you want to know the best team of the past 30 years it's Geelong 2008, but they failed to win the GF despite going into the game 23-1. I'd rather be 0-22. It's all pointless unless you win the flag.

Winless, 2008 was a complete waste. If you want to know the best team of the past 30 years it's Geelong 2008, but they failed to win the GF despite going into the game 23-1. I'd rather be 0-22. It's all pointless unless you win the flag.

It is all pointless without the flag, but 23-1 is far better than 0-22. It makes me wonder if anyone saying 0-22 has ever seen their team close to it. I suggest not.

Winless for sure
I'm already interstate from the canaries, so if they do it again, I might move country

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you rather go undefeated then lose the GF to your biggest rival or go winless?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back