WTF!? - AFL wants to reduce "excessive tackling"

Remove this Banner Ad

"The AFL is examining the issue of excessive tackling, with football boss Steve Hocking saying the AFL wants to reduce the amount of tackling in the game."

Hocking said that tackling had become ‘‘a feature’’ of the game and that the AFL wanted to see the number of tackles reduced, although he did not specify the desired number.

‘‘I have a very strong view on that. It has become a feature of our game and all the stuff that we’re analysing is how to get a balance back in that so that it’s not a feature of the game."

What the **** are these morons in charge thinking?

Tackling is an integral part of the game. Stop messing with it. Gahhhh

"The AFL is examining the issue of excessive tackling, with football boss Steve Hocking saying the AFL wants to reduce the amount of tackling in the game."

What the fu** are these morons in charge thinking?

Tackling is an integral part of the game. Stop messing with it. Gahhhh
It's another way of saying they want to reduce congestion, which is a different thing altogether. Not like they're trying to make it a non-contact sport, just so the game doesn't have the ball in the same area for the whole quarter.

It's another way of saying they want to reduce congestion, which is a different thing altogether. Not like they're trying to make it a non-contact sport, just so the game doesn't have the ball in the same area for the whole quarter.

Yep. Fix congestion and you will also reduce tackling, throwing the ball etc etc etc.

"The AFL is examining the issue of excessive tackling"
... which literally wasn't an issue, at least until some absolute ****head decided there was one :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

If he means the scragging and half-holds before a player takes copntrol of the ball, I'm all for it. Pay those hundred holding the man calls a game, players will stop doing it and the ball-winner actually gets a chance to dispose of it. If he means taking the legitimate tackle out of the game, no wonder AFLX got created.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon run down from behind tackles are some of the most exciting bits of play in the game as well as tackles in the forward line where you really feel like defenders are being 'hunted' right near the goal line. On the other hand when you've got 20 blokes all gathered around within 10 metres of space and as soon as each gets the ball they get tackled, well that's not so great.

Would the AFL be happier with designated zones a la netball. Less players around the ball more one on one contests around the ground, less congestion etc whilst i understand it’s extreme - serious question, is this the ideal structure in the AFLs eyes??

I remember learning to play football, good defence, body on the line, 1 percenters, team first attitude was always what made a good team - of course coaches in a more professional era are going to push that and find ways to expand on this.I still can’t understand why the AFL looks at things and is constantly unhappy - the meddling is not going to change things...players and coaches hate teams scoring countless goals on them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s not hard. All they have to do is throw the ###### ball up immediately after the umpire gets is hands on it after call for a ballup and get rid of this ludicrous pantomime the boundary umpires go through when “ preparing “ to throw it in. Less players around the stoppages.

It’s all they can do without changing the game in some fundamental way.

Bunch of idiots.

Reduced interchange would reduce tackles. More fatigue would mean more missed tackles and less intent to tackle.
and shitter skills and standard of footy

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF!? - AFL wants to reduce "excessive tackling"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back