Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fun fact from last night’s Semi Final​

Port Adelaide kicking to the left of screen: 7.2 (44)
Port Adelaide kicking to the right of screen: 2.14 (26)
That was not fun

I know I'll get blasted for this, but at what point do we appropriate the blame on the players? Far too many passengers, and our heavy reliance on Butters and Rozee was never winning us a flag.

We were going ok in the first, but for a 15min patch in the second we lost the game.

Then in the last quarter, we put ourselves in a position to come back - loads of opportunities but couldn't finish them. Then they get blokes like Riccardi finishing difficult shots from the pocket. Their defence held up so well when we put on an onslaught.

Such a frustrating game and season - I have no doubt we will be back next season with upgrades to our deficiencies. We were never winning a flag with the defence.

This is exactly how we won our flag in 04, multiple frustrating finals campaigns and straight set exits etc etc I've seen this movie before.

I know I'll get blasted for this, but at what point do we appropriate the blame on the players? Far too many passengers, and our heavy reliance on Butters and Rozee was never winning us a flag.

We were going ok in the first, but for a 15min patch in the second we lost the game.

Then in the last quarter, we put ourselves in a position to come back - loads of opportunities but couldn't finish them. Then they get blokes like Riccardi finishing difficult shots from the pocket. Their defence held up so well when we put on an onslaught.

Such a frustrating game and season - I have no doubt we will be back next season with upgrades to our deficiencies. We were never winning a flag with the defence.

This is exactly how we won our flag in 04, multiple frustrating finals campaigns and straight set exits etc etc I've seen this movie before.
You're wrong we simply cannot be bothered trying to remove the rose coloured implants you and your sorts seem to have, clap on happy clapper.

At the end of the day all blame rest on the shoulders of a coach that's been at the helm for over a decade, and has overseen multiple list builds.

On moto g62 5G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lycett was fukcing appalling, can't last 3 quarters so why is Hayes so frowned upon if he supposedly can't?

I'm taking three quarters of quality tap work that may alleviate a clearance massacre than Lycett just bollocking around barely getting airborne.
I think this is where we lost the game. Lycett just offers nothing these days.

You're wrong we simply cannot be bothered trying to remove the rose coloured implants you and your sorts seem to have, clap on happy clapper.

At the end of the day all blame rest on the shoulders of a coach that's been at the helm for over a decade, and has overseen multiple list builds.

On moto g62 5G using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm no happy clapper, I just don't think the coach is the only one responsible for the lack of success. You can point at him because he's an easy target but realistically, there are so many other elements.

I'm no happy clapper, I just don't think the coach is the only one responsible for the lack of success. You can point at him because he's an easy target but realistically, there are so many other elements.
Or because he's the only constant.

All the assistants have been turned over. The list has been completely turned over, if Boak isn't given a contract extension Wines will be the only player who was here in Hinkley's first year.

At some stage the club needs to realise Hinkley is the problem and move on.

It’s multifaceted but at the end of the day, Koch, Hinkley, Richardson and Davies share the blame for what is a failed football program that fixes one on-field issue only to create two new ones. You then add in the over-stayed influence of Bassett, and the unprofessionalism of Cornes who abuses the privilege and confidentiality that his position brings.

Adam Kingsley is so much more impressive than anyone we have in our coaching ranks.

Our pursuit of “stability” for the sake of it, is as misguided as it gets. It has created a culture of insular complacency, self-entitlement, preciousness, mediocrity. The last 11 years undid all the hard work that went into making the PAFC what it was prior to 2004.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another worst of all worlds seasons under Ken. Beyond his extension, yet another finals capitulation ensures any players we wanted to trade out have had their worth knocked down, as mentally weak when it matters, plus shit draft picks. Add in we’ll probably end up with McEntee and DBJ as forward fixtures still next year and no regrets about not renewing the next two years.

he is n0t an Easy Target - he is the main man
in charged of selection and tactics and coaching.

if not him - who? Koch? Assistants?

we cld have LOST by 60 points last night if the opp hadnt tried to make it an even contest by repeatedly scoring singles for fun

I think this is where we lost the game. Lycett just offers nothing these days.

There was one particular moment that really demonstrated how useless Lycett is as a ruck.

Centre bounce which favoured him and was eventually called back after the initial tap, but the opposition ruckman didn’t get near it and Lycett just palmed it perfectly to the outside and into the lap of Cogs with no one near him.

If it wasn’t called back, it was a perfect tap into the lap of Cogs with no pressure on Lycett.

How, just how does a first ruckman who gets the ball up served to him on a platter from a poor bounce not only miss all of our mids and not direct it to their advantage, but palm it perfectly to the opposition.

Yes it was called back but that’s not the point, Just an atrocious tap ruckman.

A lot has been made of the second quarter onslaught but can we just talk about the first quarter and early part of the second quarter for a second.

Despite not playing that well, we were actually leading the game out. But every time we kicked a goal they would respond with a goal from a centre clearance within seconds. This ended up being a portent to what was about to unfold but it was in and of itself weak and pathetic.

Just zero competitiveness or killer instinct or drive to be the best in this club. It stinks.
Yep. Some of our ball movement in the first was outstanding. Honestly it was the only thing keeping us in it. 40 less disposals at qtr time, trounced in clearance and I50s, yet only a couple points down.

You can't sustain that type of footy, just like against Brisbane we were never going to sustain our 82% efficiency rating after half time. Eventually you need to start winning the ball at the contest and for our game (and defensive) style you need to win the territory battle.

It's hard to describe what it is, but it's almost like we're overcome by the fear of losing, rather than hunting the win. We were just playing such negative, reactive footy, chasing guernseys whilst they had such an attacking mindset.

Or because he's the only constant.

All the assistants have been turned over. The list has been completely turned over, if Boak isn't given a contract extension Wines will be the only player who was here in Hinkley's first year.

At some stage the club needs to realise Hinkley is the problem and move on.

That's also because premierships aren't easy to win - plenty of other clubs that have turned over coach after coach after coach for decades with no success as well.

Is far too simplistic to think changing the coach wins you a flag. I'd be flogging off a few assistants before Hinkley.

I just don't think our squad is good enough to win a flag right now, regardless of who is the coach. Both teams that beat us had better players. You can say that's also Hinkleys fault, but really it's the list manager as well. Where are our key defenders? Why is our ruck situation so dire? That's what's costing us games. Hinkley is the easy target, he shares some responsibility but it's not his job.

The coaches have maybe a 5-10% impact on their teams. However look at the momentum new coaches have when they get a little roll on. Collingwood, GWS, Carlton, all riding the crest of a massive wave of momentum, born from the presence of a new coach.

If we could shake up the complacency in our team, the stale going through the motions attitudes of our players, and spark a new level of enthusiasm amongst our crowd and supporters that's have hope in something new, then that 5-10% may well be enough to change the whole trajectory of the club.

Last edited:
It's all sort of disjointed fumbly unsure dross, all you get is the odd bit of individual brilliance like the Bergs kick to Marshall.

^ was addressed by myself and other posters in 2015. Manic effort wears you down when the oppo via good coaching

flip it around to team mates positioned effectively. Sure they are loaded with high draft pics but they are also

very well coached. With the passion sucked out of me I found their style of play really easy on the eye.

I'm glad they won (yep come at me) we weren't going any further than next week AND i wanted Koch Ken & Richo

to be exposed as the frauds they are. No money from me next year, i'm not giving anymore to donut's bank account.

Just looking at him on the interchange bench doing nothing makes me sick.

It's hard to describe what it is, but it's almost like we're overcome by the fear of losing, rather than hunting the win. We were just playing such negative, reactive footy, chasing guernseys whilst they had such an attacking mindset.

It's the same in every knockout final if we're being honest. It's a collective fight or flight response. We won't fight and we can't flight so we freeze.

It's frightening how you can set your watch to a total and complete midfield collapse come finals time. They don't just lower their colours, they are totally and completely destroyed to an extent that you could never imagine being possible watching them in home and away football. The midfield lead the freeze and everyone else eventually follows.

Nothing will change at this club until the underlying cultural issues and psychological failings of the playing group and club at large are addressed. And that will never happen under the losers who currently occupy the leadership roles at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back