Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This has already been mentioned, but kern going to Melbourne to talk to a ruckman who ultimately turned us down when he should have been concentrating 100% on the forthcoming finals, and then the club releasing information during the week about 3 players wanting to transfer to Alberton had forget any success in 2023 written all over it!

Just more amateur BS from a completely inept coach, and an administration that shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near Alberton oval.
Definitely a bit weird during finals.

Not only is he lazy he's dumb and nasty too. Total package our Kenny... phowarrr what a guy hey, all class.

How often have we heard it trotted out over the years his special bond with the players, his man management skills.

The only thing that hurt last night was when the camera panned to the faces in the crowd.
I would ask him this, how are the replacements not ready when you said this was the best list you have ever had?

Our midfield will be fine. We’ve plenty of depth. They were poor in the fibsls year but I’m not giving up on them.

It’s not just talls that is required to fix the number of contested marks we give up. The back 6 worry me greatly.

We clearly need two tall defenders over 195cm with Allir playing as our third tall defender.
But I’m far from convinced that Farrell and lachie Jones are good enough to play 6. They get out marked too often as well.

Ryan Burton also gets out marked too often.

Our forwards also give up too many contested marks to by the way.
Yeah, defence is definitely one of the bigger plots to the off season milieu.

We have three 'soft' defenders in Houston, Burton and Farrell.

Aliir is good but getting on.
Hopefully Esava and BZT will help.
Williams I thought was good down back but in the back end of the year, seemed to fall slightly out of favour.
I like Jones a lot and I feel he just needs games into him.
McKenzie has to be backup next year.
Would be great to hear if Pasini or McCallum take steps next year.

And yeah, a new coach. Sack Hinkley.

Hi Thundercloud

During the year, IIRC, we had a chat about Hinkley and I asked you specifically what he needed to do to get a contract extension. You said win a final. I think at the time we were 2nd on the ladder and so it was more than likely, we would win a final. Alas, this didn't happen.

Do you still think Hinkley is the man for the job?
Well he has an extension of 2 years but that is not the question.
Today with the taste of the 2 losses in the mouth i would say no.
Will he see out 2 years probably, am i confident he can offer much more, not really.
Do you think that they could have done anything but go into the game with players having suspect injuries? That is not trying to deflect your reasonable question.

It’s actually rubbish though. Hayes over Lycett and Evans over McEntee would not have been any worse. He’ll I’d even have gone Jonas over McKenzie considering how immobile Trent was.

Plus, it’s a knock out final. Whether you lose by 1pt or 100pts, it’s the same result. There is no ‘worse’, let alone ‘much, much worse’.
Narkle over Byrne-Jones.
Don’t see how it could have been worse the second quarter was the most one sided quarter I have seen all year after 13 minutes it was 12 to 2 inside 50’s and the clearances were 17 to 6

The other thing that shat me was we had Dixon, Marshall and Lord out there…yet all through the first half we are kicking inside 50 to Rioli/DBJ up against 2-3 players.

What I loved most about watching Hinkleyball was when they got a quick break and heading inside 50 they had free players everywhere, we get a quick break and hit the half forward line and either kick it to DBJ 3 on 1, or even worse have to stop because we have no one forward of the ball.

How is this still happening!

The other thing that shat me was we had Dixon, Marshall and Lord out there…yet all through the first half we are kicking inside 50 to Rioli/DBJ up against 2-3 players.
How many years has that been happening?
When we did kick to Marshall and Dixon they are beaten one on one way too easily

Wines hasn't been the same since his c jab related heart scare. Deny all you want.

You all took a massive collective dump on Tredders for thinking for himself and not being a narrative sheep like 90% of you clowns and now you're all crying out for him to be your savior. Too funny.
He was BOG 2 weeks in a row after his heart problem you dumb campaigner. lol

How easily do our forwards get outmarked by their opponents? It's a joke.

I really like this aspect of Lord. He's a natural competitor who plays with aggression and doesn't like being beaten. For me, he's a better prospect than both Marshall and Georgiades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

screen-shot-2023-09-16-at-10-45-44-pm-png.1805597

fb_img_1694599120827-jpg.1805857

Well he has an extension of 2 years but that is not the question.
Today with the taste of the 2 losses in the mouth i would say no.
Will he see out 2 years probably, am i confident he can offer much more, not really.
Do you think that they could have done anything but go into the game with players having suspect injuries? That is not trying to deflect your reasonable question.
The question of injuries is bigger than just for this game.

There has to be a level of management and intelligence to playing injured players or not. If an older guy needs a rest, you play a young guy. The old guy gets a rest and you see what is going on with the young player. He might really shine or it might be obvious, he is not up to it.

You can't play super injured players. We have seen it recently and throughout the year, it destroys the confidence of the team during the game. The young players know they have little chance of breaking into the lineup. It also destroys the confidence of the players as it is poor decision making from the coaches. If you look at McKenzie on Hogan, Hogan is way too athletic for McKenzie to begin with but with an injury, he is lost and that's what happened. And it was no surprise that he reinjured himself considering last week's injury and mouth guard throw.

If you take a look at Lycett's year, he played the first 5 games and got progressively worse and injured. Teakle got humiliated in 4 games. Lycett comes back and plays OK in 5 games to the break. He plays his only real win against Geelong. I was like that is his best game and he will get some rest.

He struggles out of the break to be match fit and plays the 3rd game after the break. That was a big red flag. A decent game against Carlton and then smashed by Cameron and Collingwood.

He doesn't play the last 5 rounds in the AFL but is chosen over Hayes and basically breaks down in both finals. He played OK against McInerney and struggled against Briggs.

It is just super ugly all round and endemic of poor coaching and decision making mired in a boys club type atmosphere.

I hope that answers your question.

Yeah, defence is definitely one of the bigger plots to the off season milieu.

We have three 'soft' defenders in Houston, Burton and Farrell.

Aliir is good but getting on.
Hopefully Esava and BZT will help.
Williams I thought was good down back but in the back end of the year, seemed to fall slightly out of favour.
I like Jones a lot and I feel he just needs if games into him.
McKenzie has to be backup next year.
Would be great to hear if Pasini or McCallum take steps next year.

And yeah, a new coach. Sack Hinkley.
If Kyle Marshall were to take some steps forward this would be great.
A 200cm tall defender is what we desperately need.

Anyone even engaging with the injuries/underdone players line of defence is buying into the self-serving Hinkley narrative that selection is where the game was won and lost.

We were annihilated in the midfield in the first half largely because our two All-Australian ball winners and former Brownlow winner, couldn’t get near a clearance and even when they had their hands on the ball, had no composure.

GWS were so dominant in the second quarter we could and should have been down by 50-60 points at half time. I’m not sure even Melbourne’s defence would have held up under the relentless entries as wave after wave of GWS mid and half back waltzed through our lines.

Conversely, our lack of composure was frightening, right across the talent spectrum. So even when we did go inside 50 it was rarely to the advantage of one of our forward, the only one of whom emerged from the game with any credit was Rioli.

I can’t recall ever having been so depressed with the state of the club, even during the darkest days under Primus.

How Koch could extend Hinkley before the finals, when $hitting the bed under pressure in finals is the defining feature of Hinkley’s rein, is beyond me.

It is as though he transfers all his own self doubts and negativity through the squad in the lead up to big games, creating an environment of low expectations and excuses before the ball is even bounced.

Rozee cannot be captain after that. He has had a great season but man did he squib some contests or refuse to make second efforts when the game was to be won.

I just can’t see how genuine supporters can continue to engage with this regime over the next two years. We almost have to weaken the club so it can be rebuilt under those with a winning old-style mentality.

The ball movement in the build up, the way we defend, the clearance work, the forward entries. It just doesn't look like a well drilled side at all. It's incoherent rubbish. What the hell do they do at training?

Anyone even engaging with the injuries/underdone players line of defence is buying into the self-serving Hinkley narrative that selection is where the game was won and lost.

We were annihilated in the midfield in the first half largely because our two All-Australian ball winners and former Brownlow winner, couldn’t get near a clearance and even when they had their hands on the ball, had no composure.

GWS were so dominant in the second quarter we could and should have been down by 50-60 points at half time. I’m not sure even Melbourne’s defence would have held up under the relentless entries as wave after wave of GWS mid and half back waltzed through our lines.

Conversely, our lack of composure was frightening, right across the talent spectrum. So even when we did go inside 50 it was rarely to the advantage of one of our forward, the only one of whom emerged from the game with any credit was Rioli.

I can’t recall ever having been so depressed with the state of the club, even during the darkest days under Primus.

How Koch could extend Hinkley before the finals, when $hitting the bed under pressure in finals is the defining feature of Hinkley’s rein, is beyond me.

It is as though he transfers all his own self doubts and negativity through the squad in the lead up to big games, creating an environment of low expectations and excuses before the ball is even bounced.

Rozee cannot be captain after that. He has had a great season but man did he squib some contests or refuse to make second efforts when the game was to be won.

I just can’t see how genuine supporters can continue to engage with this regime over the next two years. We almost have to weaken the club so it can be rebuilt under those with a winning old-style mentality.

This post is word for word perfection.

The ball movement in the build up, the way we defend, the clearance work, the forward entries. It just doesn't look like a well drilled side at all. It's incoherent rubbish. What the hell do they do at training?
It's all sort of disjointed fumbly unsure dross, all you get is the odd bit of individual brilliance like the Bergs kick to Marshall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back