Zac walks out of St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there's a few too many with thin skins. Freo have a shocking history (and hence reputation), however, they have improved immeasurably in the last few years. It takes a long time to build respect in this caper and, rightly or wrongly, Fremantle haven't got that respect yet.

What is really interesting is that the club chose to sack a coach who had endorsed the drafting and playing young players in favour of one who hasn't had a reputation in this regard.

Good point. Freo will really miss Harvey getting in young blokes like Mzungu, Barlow, Ballantyne, Silvagni, Lower and Broughton. :rolleyes:

The very people who look after recruiting at Freo and have made the impressive changes to get us where we are aren't going to suddenly get up and leave nor is Ross going to to ignore them. Does he have a say in who we pick up? He hasn't yet but he will, of course, but he has been very open about the fact that he respects this side to our club and that his number 1 job is to coach. I think it's an excellent combination and am pretty pumped about the future.
You'd think we'd be given at least one game before people judge our set up.

not judging, merely commenting on the shocking reputation Freo have with trading/draft over many years.

I would have high hopes of a rise up the ladder though, free of injuries that cruelled the '11 campaign. Have the talent through recent Harvey inspired leadership to go places

An easy way to not look like a complete moron is to simply keep your mouth shut when the subject matter happens to be something you know absolutely nothing about.
Go back and look at our drafting over the last couple of seasons and point out to me where we went wrong. I'll be waiting.

2010 - No stand outs yet & most sides have at least one draftee playing consistant AFL footy (C);
2009 - 3 good gets, yet of the 4 picks from 36 to 52, only Roberton looks a chance (A);
2008 - V.Good (B+); &
2007 - Crikey (D).

2010 - didn't draft a KPF (you know who I'm talking about = just so wrong.

Need to have a good result this year or the drafting starts to look no better than average.

not judging, merely commenting on the shocking reputation Freo have with trading/draft over many years.

I would have high hopes of a rise up the ladder though, free of injuries that cruelled the '11 campaign. Have the talent through recent Harvey inspired leadership to go places

Brad Lloyd joining as recruitment manager in 2008 might have something to do with the recent success too.

I'm not too keen on Dawson either but suggesting our use of the PSD will make or break the team is pretty laughable.

2010 - No stand outs yet & most sides have at least one draftee playing consistant AFL footy (C);
2009 - 3 good gets, yet of the 4 picks from 36 to 52, only Roberton looks a chance (A);
2008 - V.Good (B+); &
2007 - Crikey (D).

2010 - didn't draft a KPF (you know who I'm talking about = just so wrong.

Need to have a good result this year or the drafting starts to look no better than average.

2010 - Lower and Mzungu went okay as "consistent draftees". Should have got Darling but so should a lot of other teams.
2009 - You didn't look at our picks past 52 did you? (Barlow + Silvagni). Also McPhee's been pretty handy as a PSD pick.
2008 - As good as anyone.
2007 - Pre Brad Lloyd era.

You don't watch much football, do you?

I get the feeling you haven't watched much since the 70s.
hmmm...yeahhh nahhh dont catch much.....but i remember the days when i;d kick a dozen straight then still have time to shoot down a few messerschmitts and be back home by 7 for a coldy. Dont run ya gob at me whippersnapper

Why do people keep peddling this rumour?

Because many so called people are mindless morons who the mods fail to red card, despite the defamatory nature of their disgusting rubbish.

They hope that they will upset people. As they sit within their mummy's basement the idea that they might upset someone gives them a little chubby.

300k wtf?
Salary cap of 8.8mil (and almost certainly rising to over $9mil in 2013).

Take out about a dozen 1st, 2nd, 3rd year players on either base contracts or near base contracts (plus their match payments), and that leaves about $7.5mil for 25 players. Guess what that averages out to for someone in the top 25 players of a list? A starting 18 key defender likely to play 22 games would be at the very least smack bang in the middle of that list of 25 players.

He's a middle of the road key back, and will be paid accordingly. Probably worth closer to $250k, but if (what's essentially) a $50K premium has you wtf'ing, IMO a number of other contracts out there for dime a dozen players (with exceptional managers) would blow your friggen mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a very ordinary player. One dimensional and error prone.

He cost the Saints one flag when chosen ahead of Hudgton. That decision must haunt St Kilda, along with the decision not to play McEvoy.

Good luck Freo with Ross Lyon. He'll demand a lot, and get a lot in terms of competitive spirit. Only downsides I can see:

- You'll play a desperately boring game, with guys like Dawson choking the game in the Freo defensive 50,
- You'll stifle the attacking instincts of players like Hill, Morabito, Ballantyne and Fyfe.
- You won't play kids (the secret to Freo's resurgence)
- You may recycle some very ordinary players
- You'll see the moral fibre of the club disintegrate

What are Freo thinking?

He's a very ordinary player. One dimensional and error prone.

He cost the Saints one flag when chosen ahead of Hudgton. That decision must haunt St Kilda, along with the decision not to play McEvoy.

Good luck Freo with Ross Lyon. He'll demand a lot, and get a lot in terms of competitive spirit. Only downsides I can see:

- You'll play a desperately boring game, with guys like Dawson choking the game in the Freo defensive 50,
- You'll stifle the attacking instincts of players like Hill, Morabito, Ballantyne and Fyfe.
- You won't play kids (the secret to Freo's resurgence)
- You may recycle some very ordinary players
- You'll see the moral fibre of the club disintegrate

What are Freo thinking?
Yeah, nah. I think we would've been foolish to play Max when he hadn't played for weeks, and McEvoy wasn't half as effective then as he is now.

We had the right team selected to win that match - the main thing that let us down was poor finishing by a number of players. Neither Max or Ben would've made a difference there.

Zac is a solid KPD - he beats KPFs more often than not, and has a decent record over the past two years. His main flaw is when he's left one out against a power forward - he just doesn't have the bulk to stand his ground and isn't great when he's got time under a high ball (is much better running towards the ball than standing under it).

If Freo deploy a similar team defence to the one we've had oer the past few years, and Zac isn't left one on one to often, he'll fill a roll there and be a decent pick up for them.

The problem wasnt that Zac Dawson was played ahead of Hudgton, the problem was that Dawson was the only possible candidate to play ahead of Hudgton. There was simply no other choice.

Either way Maxy was cooked at that stage, and Ross Lyon quite rightly put a fork in him.

Yes because all clubs have a host of key backs in there squad. We saw this year Collingwood had no choice but to play Reid.

Yes because all clubs have a host of key backs in there squad. We saw this year Collingwood had no choice but to play Reid.

True but we'd also lost Nathan Brown at the start of the year so our key defence depth was challenged in 2011 far more than StKildas was in 2009.

Our best three key defenders>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Zac Dawson

True but we'd also lost Nathan Brown at the start of the year so our key defence depth was challenged in 2011 far more than StKildas was in 2009.

You might want to check your facts out. In 2009 Max hardly got on the park due to injuries. Zac in the end proved most wrong and I'd suggest Reid had more kicked on him this year in the GF than Zac in all three combined.

True, Zac is more on par with Maxwell and Harry O.

What Freo really needs is decent medical staff, can't recall the last time a team had been wipedd out from the start of the season by injury that Freo was. Sacking Harvey because of either bad luck or incompetence by the freo doctors was a very harsh call.

The average AFL wage this year was around 250K. On those numbers no way is Dawson worth 300K+.

I'd have also thought he is surplus to Freo's needs with McPharlin, Silvagni, Grover, etc, down back. 300K+ would be a lot to pay for a back up player.

McPharlin will be 30 and Grover 32 near the beginning of the 2012 season.

$300k a season for an extremely average player in a good team (nearly great team) is way overs.

Dawson on $300k per/year? That's inflated, surely.

Does anyone making this comment actually bother to read back even a couple of pages.

300K for a walk up best 22 would be about average money in the AFL.

The length of the contract is the concern - 600k for 2 years (we could easily front load this) represents no issue at all.

What Freo really needs is decent medical staff, can't recall the last time a team had been wipedd out from the start of the season by injury that Freo was. Sacking Harvey because of either bad luck or incompetence by the freo doctors was a very harsh call.
well, if you believe the rumour mill, one of the main reasons why the club wanted to move Harvey on was because he ran the player into the ground during pre season, which resulted in a lot of injuries. He also brought players back earlier than expected against the medical staff's wishes which resulted in them re injuring themselves and missing even more time. Mundy, Sandilands and Barlow being the abvious ones

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac walks out of St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back