Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Dangers career in jeopardy now?
Kane Cornes raised a good point this morning on the AFL website roundup video that Danger might need to stop with the sprinting/hard running side of his game, slow his pace down, and become more of an endurance runner to protect his hamstrings.

Love how Blues fans are losing their minds over this. McKay is in the 10m protected zone with no direct opponent near him (they're actually on the other side and running towards the middle of the ground) and doesn't make an attempt to leave the area. That's a 50m penalty every day of the week.

I can see why based on the rules this is 50 but I reckon it happens in a lot of marking contests and they over look it. I've seen Geelong switch players on the mark later than that and I've thought geez your pushing it fellas.
Technically a free but I'd be dirty as a blue supporter on that one, just because it isn't paid often and it happens a lot.

Anyone know what happened with Zac Williams v I think Mitch Duncan in the 3rd qtr that led to a Henry goal.
Was he felled or tripped?

Williams vs Ollie Henry

Seems Williams may have taken a dive to try and earn a free kick

Some contact from Henry as he was running one way and Williams tried to get in his way, but minimal contact versus reaction

It's sacrilege to even say this, and I still believe it's going to take another month of poor form to be a conversation.

However....

With Neale's performance at both levels, and Hawk's form the last few weeks....are we potentially reaching another Mooney/Hawkins situation ala 2011?

I hate saying it, and feel almost cruel doing so.

As much as I love Neale, Tomahawk is a legend of the club and has given us so much...but watching the game today it did cross my mind.

Knowing Hawk, he'll kick 5 this week and make us all look stupid for critiquing him, but I'd be lying if said I wasn't starting to get worried.

Hawkins still occupied Weitering all game. Had Neale been selected instead it may have freed up Weitering to limit Jezza or one of our other forwards.

Nah I've gotta agree with them to be honest. No way that's fifty. He wasn't in the protected zone and was actually moving further away from it when the whistle was blown.

Still, opposition outrage is always entertaining.

The free kick wasn’t for being in the protected zone, it was for swapping on the mark.

I was at the game and it happened in front of me. Dempsey could have attacked the contest harder. He may or may not have made it, but to me he backed off.

Not a capital crime. He’ll learn from this.
Dempsey is a bit soft. I thought it would limit him having career because of how avoidant he is of body contact but I've changed my tune (Holmes is similar). I don't think you need to crack in as hard these days, and if he executed better and laid the tackle, sometimes that's the better play.
It was soft and he could've gone harder but I'm not sure it matters as much on most occassions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dempsey is a bit soft. I thought it would limit him having career because of how avoidant he is of body contact but I've changed my tune (Holmes is similar). I don't think you need to crack in as hard these days, and if he executed better and laid the tackle, sometimes that's the better play.
It was soft and he could've gone harder but I'm not sure it matters as much on most occassions.
In this era of many angles, slo mo and replays, no footballer really gets away with being soft for long.

The umpire was screaming at McKay to stand. He didn’t. It’s 50. You don’t have to like the rule but that is it and it was 100% correct.
So are you allowed to swap on the mark or not? I thought as long as one player is standing the mark that's ok. Has the umpire got to call the name of the player who needs to stand each time?

I don’t agree on Holmes.

Dempsey was very lightly framed to begin with so protecting himself made sense.

But sure, a tackle can be just as effective on occasion.

Is Dangers career in jeopardy now?
Danger is in real jeopardy, it's the old man's injury. He should be rested until after the BYE and come back for a tilt in the second half of the season. Geelong can cover him these days, time for Clark to step up? Mannagh? The options are numerous.

Love how Blues fans are losing their minds over this. McKay is in the 10m protected zone with no direct opponent near him (they're actually on the other side and running towards the middle of the ground) and doesn't make an attempt to leave the area. That's a 50m penalty every day of the week.

The other thing that's been ignored with that is the rule change introduced for last season (maybe the year before)

Once Player X is standing the mark you can't change them with Player Y

McKay would have been deemed the player originally standing the mark & was told to stand, then Cripps comes in and tells McKay to get back into defence

Textbook 50m every day of the week

Not sure what the complaints are about

IMO asking a player to do more then they are capable of can set back their development. Stanley can take the hit to his ego. Conway v Port at Geelong is a much better match up.
I think that at some point it just comes down to the question: who is the better ruckman for the game?

We shouldn't wrap Conway in too much cotton wool. IMO Stanley is offering so little both in ruck contests and around the ground - and has been for a while - that it's time for Conway to get the bigger jobs.

We didn't ask in 2022 whether we should keep De Koning in the 2s for a week because his ego would be battered if he got taken apart by Curnow et al.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back