Review Cats beat Lions by 10 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you explain us regularly beating other top 4 sides in finals during h&a, and then capitulating to them in finals?

Last year we were 1-3 against Melbourne, GWS and Port Adelaide during the H&A season.

We played all three in the finals and finished with a 1-2 record, very much in line with the regular season results. The only difference was that during H&A we beat Port and lost to GWS, and reversed both results during finals.

How do you explain us regularly beating other top 4 sides in finals during h&a, and then capitulating to them in finals?
You're right, somehow we have liked to prove ourselves against tough opposition during the h and a, then fall to lesser teams. And we've had some high ladder finishes. Doesn't mean we were a stronger team overall. I think Scott has tended to have a bit more of a tournament mentality to the season than other coaches. His Brisbane side were a bit like that too. Except in their case they were actually the best in the comp. They just didn't always go at 100% during the season.

Yep, Just like if I quoted "Chris Scott - Lowest winning percentage of finals games for anyone that has ever coached 20+ finals games at 40%" without giving context.
Me: “water is wet”

You, hyperventilating: “SELECTIVE QUOTING WATER IS SOMETIMES A GAS OR SOLID IN ICE FORM”

Me: “ok dude”

When you think about it, a team that is good enough to finish top 4 but is realistically about the 3rd or 4th best team, is going to have exactly that sort of record: 70-odd percent winning percent, and 1 win for every 2 losses in finals. The issue I believe isn't some conspiracy of the gameplan not to stand up in finals like a lot of people suggest. The issue is just why we haven't been seeing improvement and have remained "near enough" for so long.
yes I agree, this does make sense. Some would argue that this constantly means we're in the mix for a premiership, not sure I agree with that based on our last few exits.

yes I agree, this does make sense. Some would argue that this constantly means we're in the mix for a premiership, not sure I agree with that based on our last few exits.
If we make it a Prelim anything can happen. Look at Coll knocking out Richmond in 2018 or :sick: Hawks in 2008.

While everyone here bitches about finals performances i look at clubs like Carlton/Saints/Suns etc and say thank **** i don't support those cause at least With Geelong i am guaranteed many happy moments every year for what 3 decades or so now in which we have barely missed finals.

Last edited:
If we make it a Prelim anything can happen. Look at Coll knocking out Richmond in 2018 or :sick: Hawks in 2008.

While everyone here bitches about finals performances i look at clubs like Carlton/Saints/Suns etc and say thank fu** i don't support those cause at least With Geelong i am guaranteed many happy moments every year for what 3 decades or so now in which we have barely missed finals.
Bath water drinker!

Mediocrity acceptor!

:D

It's not like we haven't had our opportunities with all the deep seasons we've had and while some of the people in the other camp might not believe this, it gets just as frustrating for us optimists to lose another prelim as it does for the pessimists.

You would be hard pressed though to look at any single campaign in isolation and go 'well that obviously should have been our year because we were just so good.'

Like look at last year. Ok we showed our best footy could cause some trouble for Melbourne. The Bulldogs showed the same. But Melbourne turned around two weeks in a row and showed their best football was simply way too good for anyone. With that sort of level in their repertoire it would have been a huge missed opportunity if they didn't win. I think we had a gun side in 2013 and we proved that by only going out in a thriller against a dynasty side. Pretty much every other year I think we would have needed a 'close to our best/opposition a little bit off theirs' scenario to take it out.

Now weight of numbers would suggest that at some point we would simply jag one, or one more grand final appearance at least. I don't think you could make any case though that there is this bunch of years where we simply 'should' have won

You really have to ask the question regarding the Lions ability to get Linc and Nakia onto the ground at all let alone consistently. They were both constantly injured at Geelong, is it their medical dept?, is it our medical dept?, is it the weather or just dumb luck?. I hope the brains trust at Kardinia Park are at least trying to work this stuff out.

It probably is a combination of these factors: consistent weather is well understood to help e.g. retirement villages from Newcastle to Brisbane, at the end of long rehab for linc and Nakia when they left, bad luck on our part.

Just as a note, we’ve released allot of players to the Brions, have we got any back of note?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It probably is a combination of these factors: consistent weather is well understood to help e.g. retirement villages from Newcastle to Brisbane, at the end of long rehab for linc and Nakia when they left, bad luck on our part.

Just as a note, we’ve released allot of players to the Brions, have we got any back of note?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chris Scott

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really have to ask the question regarding the Lions ability to get Linc and Nakia onto the ground at all let alone consistently. They were both constantly injured at Geelong, is it their medical dept?, is it our medical dept?, is it the weather or just dumb luck?. I hope the brains trust at Kardinia Park are at least trying to work this stuff out.
What's going on here? Were you not aware that Lincoln was playing regular games for us in the season prior to going to Brisbane? I would say the Geelong medical team got him right after so many years of his body failing him.

Also - Nakia was playing practise matches up in QLD in 2020 and they were looking to bring him into the seniors for our finals, however, it appeared that he didnt want to go too hard as he'd already organised his move to Brisbane and didnt want to risk his body. He came back for some minor surgery and because his partner was due to give birth to their child. I saw him wandering around Geelong during our finals campaign and he looked in very good nick.

That would be also our medical team who got him right.

Don't let an agenda get in the way of reality.

Can they please leave sav out? We don’t need him.
Totally agree. That's 2 games in a row now where Sav has either left ground injured (and then team played well!!) or wasn't in side at all and the team has had one less passenger as a result. It's way past time to recognise Sav is not worth selection (short of massive and consistent improvement demonstrated in the VFL)...

That's unfair. It's not like we regularly lose to teams below us in finals. We've only done it in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, and 2019 (twice).
Probably can be summed up in 2 words why this seems to happen: Finals Pressure. When good teams have brought finals like pressure in the H & A we've crumbled in those games as well.

Probably can be summed up in 2 words why this seems to happen: Finals Pressure. When good teams have brought finals like pressure in the H & A we've crumbled in those games as well.
One game does stick in the memory, against the Dogs at KP, I think mid-season 2017 when the dogs were the premiers, they brought incredible heat in that game and we more than matched them. Just incredible tackling pressure from both sides. I felt like that game sort of broke them that year. They threw everything at us and came off second best. I do agree to some extent that we've gone into our shells a bit in finals. Players tend to revert to habit when the pressure is on and we haven't been quite well-drilled enough in a system to make it second-nature.

What's going on here? Were you not aware that Lincoln was playing regular games for us in the season prior to going to Brisbane? I would say the Geelong medical team got him right after so many years of his body failing him.

Also - Nakia was playing practise matches up in QLD in 2020 and they were looking to bring him into the seniors for our finals, however, it appeared that he didnt want to go too hard as he'd already organised his move to Brisbane and didnt want to risk his body. He came back for some minor surgery and because his partner was due to give birth to their child. I saw him wandering around Geelong during our finals campaign and he looked in very good nick.

That would be also our medical team who got him right.

Don't let an agenda get in the way of reality.
I'll admit I don't watch a lot of VFL so if Linc in his last year played a lot of VFL games then fair enough but this wiki page suggests he played barely any games before he went to the lions:
1649719480503.png

I'll admit I don't watch a lot of VFL so if Linc in his last year played a lot of VFL games then fair enough but this wiki page suggests he played barely any games before he went to the lions:
View attachment 1370042

Wikipedia pages tend to focus on a players senior games, don't often find their VFL games played listed there

As Linc said when he went to Brisbane, he didn't require any off-season surgery and was able to complete a full preseason - a pretty good indication he left the club in good nick

Don't get me wrong, he'll still go down as one of the best key forwards of his generation. But the difference between that and being one of the best key forwards of the era is the big, big bag.

Hawkins' biggest haul is 7 goals. Riewoldt has only kicked more than that on 4 occasions. Kennedy has kicked more than that on 5 occasions.

You're suggesting that something that Kennedy and Riewoldt have done only a handful of times each anyway is what makes "the difference" between them and Hawk? Maybe if Riewoldt and Kennedy were booting 8+ goal bags once or twice a season on average I'd agree with you, but this is something they do once every three or four seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back