Review Cats beat Lions by 10 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it? Tredrea played in a different era And yet has a worse goal average per game then hawkins from lower games. He only kicked more than 7 goals once. That was 8 goals against a vfl level post salary capt cheating carlton. his best season was better then hawkins best season but not by a lot and he only did that once. tredrea also didnt have the supreme passing skills and dominant ruckwork skills of hawkins.

Slightly different though. When Tredrea played there was still the distinction before full forward and centre half forward. He was the latter.

Yeah you post a lol. How about it being the years of wear and tear from injury that was holding him back. Yet your natural assumption was not applying himself. actually you accussed me of lying because such a view was so absolute in your mind. Cockatoo was one of the best defensive foward talents ive seen before injury curtailed him. He had incredible application defensively. The obvious assumption about not putting in as hard as he did in the past would be due to injury slowing him down. Not lack of effort. Yet you choose effort.
I remember it as due to him already having agreed to move north. What with the all the rumours already doing the rounds.

Slightly different though. When Tredrea played there was still the distinction before full forward and centre half forward. He was the latter.
Not sure about that. Every game i remember watching he was a full foward. His disposals per game are only marginally higher than hawkins so if he was playing up the field he certainly wasnt getting the ball any more.

Where is the bloke that said SDK wasn't up to it, he was bloody fantastic in the second half, hard fought win, probably should have won by 5 goals considering the inside 50s difference but will take it.
Haha I had my doubts about him personally after seeing him live in the practice game. But it was a practice game afterall. He's been improving consistently and looked great this game :).

Not sure about that. Every game i remember watching he was a full foward. His disposals per game are only marginally higher than hawkins so if he was playing up the field he certainly wasnt getting the ball any more.
No, in 2004 - the year when he dominated the comp - he was CHF and the full forward was usually Thurstans when Ladd was in ruck, and Lade when he wasn’t.

Don’t be fooled by his career average, Tredrea was hit hard by injury and was a shadow of himself by his late twenties. Across a five year period, he was the best tall forward in the game and played at CHF.

Tredrea’s peak was higher but there is virtually no metric across their careers where you could say he’s definitively ahead of Hawkins. In fact as far as their overall numbers go they are eerily similar

I would have Pavlich ahead as an all round footballer but not necessarily as a forward
If we're talking about Tredrea and Pavlich, also got to mention Jonathan Brown. Easily the best key forward of that era prior to Buddy and Hawkins etc. I'm just going to own my own bias here and say I would take Hawkins over the lot of them. He is more valuable to the team than any other key forward I have ever seen, including Buddy. In fact, even looking at the Hawthorn team back during their early dominant period, I always thought Roughie was the one to watch out for more than Buddy. He was key to their success. He and Hawkins both totally unselfish and totally underrated forwards. Hawkins just keeps getting better.

No, in 2004 - the year when he dominated the comp - he was CHF and the full forward was usually Thurstans when Ladd was in ruck, and Lade when he wasn’t.

Don’t be fooled by his career average, Tredrea was hit hard by injury and was a shadow of himself by his late twenties. Across a five year period, he was the best tall forward in the game and played at CHF.
He was AA CHF at least 3 or 4 times.

Should be - it is a weak w***er insult
Oh im so sick of mods on this board attacking aboriginal players for not applying themselves

Oh im so sick of mods on this board attacking aboriginal players for not applying themselves.

Is that so?

You are implying some sort of ongoing vendetta by members of the mod team against aboriginal players when appraising their application after putting on the jumper??

I call utter nonsense.

BTW....Attacks on Moderators are problematic at the best of times, but particularly so when the attack is simply just thrown out there and is toxic in nature.

Such attacks have never, and will never be tolerated. If this is news to you, I suggest you revisit the terms and conditions you agreed to when you applied for an account on Big Footy.

Enjoy your extended holiday.

Last edited:
After the failed groin injection Menzel played the last 6 games of the afl season before he left. His body was stuffed. 5 games in two years does not suggest hus body was right.

Menzel had a stuffed body, whether Geelong or Sydney based.

Cockatoo and McCarthy got their bodies right at Geelong and then went to Brisbane.

Comparing apples to pineapples at the moment.

Yeah you post a lol. How about it being the years of wear and tear from injury that was holding him back. Yet your natural assumption was not applying himself. actually you accussed me of lying because such a view was so absolute in your mind. Cockatoo was one of the best defensive foward talents ive seen before injury curtailed him. He had incredible application defensively. The obvious assumption about not putting in as hard as he did in the past would be due to injury slowing him down. Not lack of effort. Yet you choose effort.
He and I shared the same physio. Was told that he didn’t apply himself or follow instructions well. I doubt it was to do with race or ethnicity, rather he relied and talent and athleticism - not hard work.

Oh im so sick of mods on this board attacking aboriginal players for not applying themselves. When do we call this out. narkle constantly cops it. Cockatoo, christensen, motlop and varcoe constantly copped it. The only one who doesnt is parfitt and thats only because he is the best defensive mid in the team. So sick of it.
In fairness to you, the "lazy but mercurial Aboriginal player" trope is well-worn across society and it's important to be aware of its existence. Goodes has spoken out about it a number of times and with good reason.

However, I don't think Varcoe and Bundy copped it on this board for being lazy. Varcoe certainly copped it for a perceived lack of toughness and physicality. Bundy, if anything, was just too brave and copped too many head knocks.

As others have pointed out, there are plenty of white whipping boys on the team.

In summary: good to be aware of these tropes, but be careful of when you fly off the handle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeds you seriously need to pull your head & cut the bullshit with these baseless accusations. All your doing is making some pretty damning & unfounded statements against individuals on this board

If you're so concerned about players being called "lazy" or being asked to apply themselves, why don't you show the same level of concern when it's not an indigenous player in question - like Vardy, Guthrie, Higgins, Stanley & Miers are just some of the names that quickly come to mind whom have all been called out at various times

As repeatedly shown, a players race or ethnicity has nothing to do with their attitude being called into question - the issue here seems to be with you
I never once thought about, or considered anyone else’s posts as referring to race when discussing Cockatoo et al.

In fairness to you, the "lazy but mercurial Aboriginal player" trope is well-worn across society and it's important to be aware of its existence. Goodes has spoken out about it a number of times and with good reason.

However, I don't think Varcoe and Bundy copped it on this board for being lazy. Varcoe certainly copped it for a perceived lack of toughness and physicality. Bundy, if anything, was just too brave and copped too many head knocks.

As others have pointed out, there are plenty of white whipping boys on the team.

In summary: good to be aware of these tropes, but be careful of when you fly off the handle.

Varcoe was criticised on his own merits. For what it's worth for a while there I think he was definitely lacking physicality. But so does Gary Rohan and it's not like people refrain from criticising him (I should know, I'm one of them).

Each player is different, as is their injury history. Some are happy to skate by on talent, some are lazy as unfair as it sounds, and some understand what's needed.

I doubt it. Scott was effusive in his praise for him. The social media posted his highlights.

This is just a typical part-time AFL journalist who has no idea about other teams apart from their own.
The obligatory return question then : who goes out? No nominating players who haven’t been dropped for the last year.

Varcoe was criticised on his own merits. For what it's worth for a while there I think he was definitely lacking physicality. But so does Gary Rohan and it's not like people refrain from criticising him (I should know, I'm one of them).

Each player is different, as is their injury history. Some are happy to skate by on talent, some are lazy as unfair as it sounds, and some understand what's needed.
Both Varcoe and Rohan merited the criticism IMO. But Varcoe didn’t have Rohan’s physical gifts - he just wasn’t particularly strong for an AFL player and this had to play on the outside.

On Hawkins, it’s probably multiple reasons why he hasn’t kicked more goals but a pretty strong indication it is more about the era of football than his limitations is that two contemporaries who started within 12 months of him are also within 40 odd goals of him. The list also shows what a freak Franklin is to have kicked 1000 in this era. Peerless.

View attachment 1368239
Yes! This.

That was a very impressive win I must say.
Personally, I did not expect us to win that game without Stewart or Selwood. When Brisbane put their foot down late in the 3rd quarter to regain the lead, it felt like it would be enough to hold on for the next 30 minutes but Geelong dug deep and regained the ascendancy.

This is what makes this current period of time so incredibly frustrating for many. We get to finals and bow out in embarrassing fashion and supporters say we simply weren't good enough to begin with.
Clearly, these games show we certainly are good enough to match it with legitimate premiership contenders so why does this club continually look like a team who have barely scraped into finals time and time again?
It's now at a point you just lose interest as you know the inevitable is coming.

Hawkins dominated this game. 5 contested marks!
Unless we face a side who is a 4-5 goal underdog heading into a final, you never see such dominance from a player who is always bigger, stronger than any opponent he ever faces in the competition (except when he was battling against Brian Lake).

De Koning is a star. He looks easily the most exciting and brilliant recruit we have picked since the likes of Bartel and co. His upside is enormous.

View attachment 1371068Go home AFL.com.au, you’re drunk.
Nothing I have seen from this Josh Gabelich so far this season suggests that he has any sort of clue at all when it comes to Geelong, and potentially footy in general

Personally, I did not expect us to win that game without Stewart or Selwood. When Brisbane put their foot down late in the 3rd quarter to regain the lead, it felt like it would be enough to hold on for the next 30 minutes but Geelong dug deep and regained the ascendancy.

This is what makes this current period of time so incredibly frustrating for many. We get to finals and bow out in embarrassing fashion and supporters say we simply weren't good enough to begin with.
Clearly, these games show we certainly are good enough to match it with legitimate premiership contenders so why does this club continually look like a team who have barely scraped into finals time and time again?
It's now at a point you just lose interest as you know the inevitable is coming.

Unless we face a side who is a 4-5 goal underdog heading into a final, you never see such dominance from a player who is always bigger, stronger than any opponent he ever faces in the competition (except when he was battling against Brian Lake).

De Koning is a star. He looks easily the most exciting and brilliant recruit we have picked since the likes of Bartel and co. His upside is enormous.
We recruited Selwood, Menzel, Bundy years after Bartel et al…

I changed my tip walking into the ground hearing that Stewart was out, but the way I am tipping this year that may have just pushed us over the line

With your comment about them putting their foot down I will say that at the game it didn't feel like they were surging or taking control, they just took their chances while we were wasting ours.. I said to the mate i was with that the way they were kicking at goal wasn't sustainable and they would have to start missing so as long as we kept the control we had and didn't panic we should end up in front...
But agree that it was a very impressive win, the evenness of it was as good a sign as any and just griding it out and hanging tough when we had chances to put them away and didnt, just kept on plugging away and got it done

This game also illustrated why Fort would have been worth holding onto instead of Rhys Stanley.

The sooner Ceglar is back from injury, the better we should be in ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back