Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

In the space of 10 rounds Carlton have gone from behind us to a mile ahead of us. What the f*** is going on.
Soft draw v tough draw

They have a midfield built to play the modern game and cover their defensive deficiencies

Their forward line has two key posts and until mckay went down was largely fit.

Hewett, kennedy, cerra were sound recruiting moves.

Last edited:
I watched Carlton / Sydney last night. The greatest difference I noticed was carltons aggression, Not only in the contest and at the ball but anytime a Sydney player pushed bumped or even looked like getting into a Carlton player they came from all over. A shoving match ensued. Never see that with our boys. I honestly think it started from our "re-branding" after the saga. We are too nice, too PC. I think it comes from Xavier, the coach and the captain. The whole club needs to swallow a cup of concrete and harden the F#ck up. I hope we see some of that from the boys tonight but not holding my breath.

Our forward line is the biggest issue. Peter Wright is soft, slow and too often picks and chooses when he will compete. He makes it very easy for defenders. Francis is slow, undersized and does not present enough on the lead (mixture of a lack of fitness and forward craft). Smith is cooked. Waterman is not AFL standard. Bryan and Draper compete somewhat as resting rucks however their forward craft is still in the earl developent phase. Shiel is useless up forward when resting and is simply a shell of his former self. The only realy glimmers of hope are Perkins, Hobbs and Martin who have a crack and look dangerous however are still young and inconsistent (particularly Perkins who I feel is harshly judged as a second year player and Hobbs as an inside mod playing out of position).

We are in dire straits up forward without Jones, Langford, Stringer, Snelling and Cox (who arguably should be playing there). It's not all doom and gloom though, a fit list next year, games into young players like Reid and every chance to land a Tom Scully or Harry Lemmey type, the Daveys and Munkara in the draft, and land a big fish or two via trade/free agency and we could have a Carlton like resurgence.

Our forward line is the biggest issue. Peter Wright is soft, slow and too often picks and chooses when he will compete. He makes it very easy for defenders. Francis is slow, undersized and does not present enough on the lead (mixture of a lack of fitness and forward craft). Smith is cooked. Waterman is not AFL standard. Bryan and Draper compete somewhat as resting rucks however their forward craft is still in the earl developent phase. Shiel is useless up forward when resting and is simply a shell of his former self. The only realy glimmers of hope are Perkins, Hobbs and Martin who have a crack and look dangerous however are still young and inconsistent (particularly Perkins who I feel is harshly judged as a second year player and Hobbs as an inside mod playing out of position).

We are in dire straits up forward without Jones, Langford, Stringer, Snelling and Cox (who arguably should be playing there). It's not all doom and gloom though, a fit list next year, games into young players like Reid and every chance to land a Tom Scully or Harry Lemmey type, the Daveys and Munkara in the draft, and land a big fish or two via trade/free agency and we could have a Carlton like resurgence.
Only thing I would disagree with there is Wright. I think he works his guts out. A combo of Tony Lockett and Jason Dunstall would be hard pressed getting a kick the way our mids deliver it.

Our defense are under siege and are doing a reasonable job defending however the transition OUT of defense when we have the ball is abysmal and I would argue amongst the worst in the league. There seems to be 3 options:
1. Sideways kick 10m, hold play up. Long kick down the line to a stoppage or a 50/50 (which we invariably lose).
2. 30m kick to mid HBF. Sideways kick, backwards kick, sideways kick the other way whilst we attempt to switch. Then back to point 1.
3. Bypass the sideways kick and long kick down the line to a stoppage or 50/50 (which we invariably lose).

The lack of a quality CHB and/or ruckmen who can take a mark is killing us. We have a lot of 3rd tall backmen (Ridley, Laverde, Redman) but no CHB general that can draw play and maybe give us some options to spread elsewhere. I think Stewart is a bigge rloss that we might think in that regard as he allowed Laverde to play that sort of a role and now he is anchored back deep in defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For how shit we are, this is a good reminder of what true, absolute shit (Carlton) looks like

Almost all the teams below us on that list have had proper rebuilds. I'd rather that than topping up year after year so that we could finish eighth. All - including Carlton - are better placed to win a premiership in the next 5-years.

If you are going to be shit you should go all in. Not half arse it like we have for almost two decades.

Almost all the teams below us on that list have had proper rebuilds. I'd rather that than topping up year after year so that we could finish eighth. All - including Carlton - are better placed to win a premiership in the next 5-years.

If you are going to be shit you should go all in. Not half arse it like we have for almost two decades.

So what you're trying to say is, we're can't even do shit properly? This ****ing club!

We’re having a proper rebuild right now. Surely people can see that.

When did that start?
End of 2020. Where we traded for a couple of cheap fringe players, a young gun for unders, took 3 top 10 picks and 4 KPP's in one draft, followed by a year where we only made one Free Agency move and went to the draft.

When did that start?

End of 2020.

New coach. Daniher gone. Saad gone. Fantasia gone. Bellchambers gone. Hooker, Zaharakis and Tippa gone since.

We’re not for one second hanging around to try to win a flag like we were in 2018 - 19. Even with excess picks we haven’t traded any. We have brought in plenty of kids from the draft and are playing them whenever they’re fit.

Within reason, Perkins, Reid, Cox, Hobbs, Martin, Draper, Caldwell, Durham and Jones are all playing whenever fit. Baldwin and Wanganeen have been given a run.

This is what a rebuild looks like.

Unfortunately this year we’ve also had injuries to many senior players like Merrett, Stringer, Snelling, Ridley, Stewart, Langford which has robbed us of a lot of our mature quality and they’ve had to be replaced with what are really fringe players in Waterman, BZT, Francis, Guelfi, and Heppell and Smith who I suspect would be under a LOT of selection pressure if we were fully fit.

End of 2020.

New coach. Daniher gone. Saad gone. Fantasia gone. Bellchambers gone. Hooker, Zaharakis and Tippa gone since.

We’re not for one second hanging around to try to win a flag like we were in 2018 - 19. Even with excess picks we haven’t traded any. We have brought in plenty of kids from the draft and are playing them whenever they’re fit.

Within reason, Perkins, Reid, Cox, Hobbs, Martin, Draper, Caldwell, Durham and Jones are all playing whenever fit. Baldwin and Wanganeen have been given a run.

Unfortunately this year we’ve also had injuries to many senior players like Merrett, Stringer, Snelling, Ridley, Stewart, Langford which has robbed us of a lot of our mature quality and they’ve had to be replaced with what are really fringe players in Waterman, BZT, Francis, Guelfi, and Heppell and Smith who I suspect would be under a LOT of selection pressure if we were fully fit.
McKenna gone too, though not to another club.

Even with excess picks we haven’t traded any. We have brought in plenty of kids from the draft and are playing them whenever they’re fit.

Did the club fail to recruit the required leaders to help with the rebuild? Does this contribute to the team struggling with the gameplan?

Are you arguing we are shit because we are rebuilding, not because we are rebuilding poorly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back