Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

When you watch a quality ruckman like Gawn he is a huge asset as he actually puts the ball right where his midfielders want the ball - ROB wins his fair share of hitouts but it is very rarely right where OUR midfielders want it.

As much as we go on about our lack of midfield quality the players we do have are not advantaged by ROB competing the ball ups very often.
Funny thing there is ROB is averaging 11 hit outs to advantage in 2022, Gawn 8.8.

In actual fact only Jarrod Witts and Braydon Preuss surpass him with 13 and 11.4 Hit outs to advantage/game.

Funny thing there is ROB is averaging 11 hit outs to advantage in 2022, Gawn 8.8.

In actual fact only Jarrod Witts and Braydon Preuss surpass him with 13 and 11.4 Hit outs to advantage/game.

ROB had a good year. He just let himself down around the ground half the time.

This is a bit misleading.

-ROB spends a lot more time in the ruck, Gawn rests forward with him and Jackson sharing the ruck duties.

-Adelaide games have a much higher number of stoppages compared to other teams. It's why we have 2 of the top 10 clearance players in Laird and Keays (before he moved forward).

A better stat is hit outs to advantage per stoppage.

-ROB spends a lot more time in the ruck, Gawn rests forward with him and Jackson sharing the ruck duties.

-Adelaide games have a much higher number of stoppages compared to other teams. It's why we have 2 of the top 10 clearance players in Laird and Keays (before he moved forward).

Just putting it there for those that keep shitcanning ROB when he's actually a quite competitive AFL Ruckman not the spud they try to make him out to be.

Compares pretty well with Witts who plays a similar role and is IMO the best ruck in the AFL.

Just putting it there for those that keep shitcanning ROB when he's actually a quite competitive AFL Ruckman not the spud they try to make him out to be.

We on the Adelaide board have a habit of making stupid statements against players we dont like by trying to downplay the attributes they are good at.

Compares pretty well with Witts who plays a similar role and is IMO the best ruck in the AFL.
Are they shitcanning his competitiveness or taking note of his clumsiness?

ROB had a good year. He just let himself down around the ground half the time.
Disagree with the first bit. He had a poor year evidenced by him being dropped on one ocassion and could have been dropped several times if we had any selection integrity for senior players.

His around the ground stuff was putrid this year. How many weeks did he go markless? 3 or 4? I'm sure his defenders will try to paint the picture that 'rucks don't mark the ball anymore'

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

cannot kick
cannot mark
hit outs to the opposition which lead to clean clearances
no real ruck craft
lost his competitive edge around the ground
Well, yeah. IMO he’s not the answer going forward and was probably only in front for seniority and tank.

Do you have any numbers to back that up?

I mean, it might be true, but it also feels a bit like something that needs some numbers to support it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you watch a quality ruckman like Gawn he is a huge asset as he actually puts the ball right where his midfielders want the ball - ROB wins his fair share of hitouts but it is very rarely right where OUR midfielders want it.

As much as we go on about our lack of midfield quality the players we do have are not advantaged by ROB competing the ball ups very often.
ROB does get a decent amount of taps to advantage and that is evidenced by our good clearance numbers this year (and the stats above). I don’t worry so much about his ruck work, rather his lack of impact around the ground if he isn’t marking well. Absolute liability if his marking is off.

ROB certainly isn’t in the top tier of rucks, but he would be in the next bracket down. If he can get his contested marking back more consistently then he becomes our clear number one option again.

ROB does get a decent amount of taps to advantage and that is evidenced by our good clearance numbers this year. I don’t worry so much about his ruck work, rather his lack of impact around the ground if he isn’t marking well. Absolute liability if his marking is off.
For a player who should be in his prime, he has too many poor games.

We really need to draft a Barnett/Verrall type this year and develop them for 3-4 years.

For a player who should be in his prime, he has too many poor games.

We really need to draft a Barnett/Verrall type this year and develop them for 3-4 years.
I agree, his consistency has really dropped off since 2020. Still capable of very good games and generally is good in the ruck, but hasn’t put his position beyond doubt.

cannot kick
cannot mark
hit outs to the opposition which lead to clean clearances
no real ruck craft
lost his competitive edge around the ground
C'mon.

The actual numbers don't back that up.

He didn't have a good year, but he's an effective kick, one of the better contested marks amongst AFL ruckmen and actually won a lot of taps to advantage.

ROB does get a decent amount of taps to advantage and that is evidenced by our good clearance numbers this year (and the stats above). I don’t worry so much about his ruck work, rather his lack of impact around the ground if he isn’t marking well. Absolute liability if his marking is off.

ROB certainly isn’t in the top tier of rucks, but he would be in the next bracket down. If he can get his contested marking back more consistently then he becomes our clear number one option again.
That's all pretty fair.

C'mon.

He didn't have a good year, but he's an effective kick, one of the better contested marks amongst AFL ruckmen and actually won a lot of taps to advantage.
Numbers are just that, numbers. Were they effective disposals, score involvements, turnovers?
Just by observation he’s janky and isn’t the end game fit for our ascending the table.

I was discussing it with a mate the other day.

I think Frampton is the Jenkins of defenders.

Jenkins was essentially a small/mid sized forward in a key position body.

Frampton is a mid sized defender in a key defender body. Basically he's an elite kick of the footy and so you really want him playing as your quarter back. So ideally you have him playing on a mid sized forward.

The problem is that he's not overly quick or mobile, so he will struggle with the more explosive forwards. But he's also not a good enough defender to play on the key forwards.

Essentially, if you have a good enough defensive structure and play a zone set up, there probably is a role for him. Will be interesting to see if Collingwood can work it out for him.
Probably getting this recollection wrong but wasn’t one of our talls our quickest over 20m going back a couple of pre seasons. I thought it may have been Frampton? But don’t have high conviction with this recollection

C'mon.

I appreciate that but I honestly think he played one good AFL game in 2022. not enough when you play 20 matches and get a stack of cash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back