List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m pretty confident based on what Gags said today that the plan is to bottom out, so I doubt we’ll be trading any future picks.
Yeaaaah. I very much doubt a comment indicating he would like a top end pick in a reportably super strong draft is indicative of the club tanking. I mean seriously, if the the indication from above was to commit to a full rebuild then there would have been far more ejection of players rather then actually holding onto them.

You people have got yourselves so worked up about this trade period youve lost any kind of critical thinking.

Yeaaaah. I very much doubt a comment indicating he would like a top end pick in a reportably super strong draft is indicative of the club tanking. I mean seriously, if the the indication from above was to commit to a full rebuild then there would have been far more ejection of players rather then actually holding onto them.

You people have got yourselves so worked up about this trade period youve lost any kind of critical thinking.

Nah the quote was:

"List boss James Gallagher said supporters, who would have to be in their late 50s to have seen the club’s only premiership in 1966, wouldn’t mind waiting another 12 months to ensure the Saints spiked sharply."

Doesn't sound to me like he expects to challenge next year.

I'm actually excited to take a healthy range of picks to the draft. Happy we didn't feel pressured to do trades for the sake of it. We made our interest known where it was warranted, we knew the price we were willing to work with, and we knew when to walk away. Not as fun and exciting as when we were bringing in 5 players at a time as we have in last few years but I don't mind it.

Zzzzzzzzzzz

What happened?

jTVVOqt.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually excited to take a healthy range of picks to the draft. Happy we didn't feel pressured to do trades for the sake of it. We made our interest known where it was warranted, we knew the price we were willing to work with, and we knew when to walk away. Not as fun and exciting as when we were bringing in 5 players at a time as we have in last few years but I don't mind it.
Can’t say we weren’t warned. So they have followed their plan….even if we are underwhelmed by it.
Would have been more irritated to lose Clark for unders.

We missed out on the players we were after because at the moment we’re not catering to the needs of the shallow generation who want instant success. But that’s no reason to offload our players for SFA just for the sake of doing something like some of the media are making out .
Sort out the coaching and game plan which hopefully they’re doing via the full review and get the house in order . We ll know what were actually dealing with then and should have a shitload of spare cash and a full compliment of picks for next years better quality draft …..and hopefully a decent free agent.
Maybe it’s become a two year strategy .

Garbage offer by Norf, glad we didn't take it. Our counter was pricey but we didn't want to part with him and if they want a contracted player, they had to try (much) harder.

If I was Hunter Clark I’d be offended at the rubbish offer North proposed to unlock him from a contract with Saints. Hopefully he never considers going to that club ever again.

Rawlings said he highly rated Clark but wasn’t prepared to put on the table ANY of the 4 first round draft picks North has (current and future). Absurd.

Then Rawlings had the gall to suggest that North put a lot of currency on the table to get a trade done. A future second and third round pick? Garbage. Insulting.

I’m also not happy that some genius within our club proposed trading Clark + 9 for pick 3. I hope Geoff Walsh has a good look at that. Rawlings may have saved us from ourselves.

We missed out on the players we were after because at the moment we’re not catering to the needs of the shallow generation who want instant success. But that’s no reason to offload our players for SFA just for the sake of doing something like some of the media are making out .
Sort out the coaching and game plan which hopefully they’re doing via the full review and get the house in order . We ll know what were actually dealing with then and should have a shitload of spare cash and a full compliment of picks for next years better quality draft …..and hopefully a decent free agent.
Maybe it’s become a two year strategy .
Instant success, what are you on about, we have won 1 flag in our VFL/AFL existence and that was 56 years ago, we are the wooden spoon kings and gags is a tosser thinking we are patient, this club is a joke. Only in the AFL to make up the numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was Hunter Clark I’d be offended at the rubbish offer North proposed to unlock him from a contract with Saints. Hopefully he never considers going to that club ever again.

Rawlings said he highly rated Clark but wasn’t prepared to put on the table ANY of the 4 first round draft picks North has (current and future). Absurd.

Then Rawlings had the gall to suggest that North put a lot of currency on the table to get a trade done. A future second and third round pick? Garbage. Insulting.

I’m also not happy that some genius within our club proposed trading Clark + 9 for pick 3. I hope Geoff Walsh has a good look at that. Rawlings may have saved us from ourselves.
Hunter should get a number 4 haircut and ditch that stupid headband, maybe then Mr Walsh can introduce Clark to the weights room, if he's not not stuck under a 5kg weight as a previous poster cleverly alluded to. :D:D:D

Nah the quote was:

"List boss James Gallagher said supporters, who would have to be in their late 50s to have seen the club’s only premiership in 1966, wouldn’t mind waiting another 12 months to ensure the Saints spiked sharply."

Doesn't sound to me like he expects to challenge next year.
That wasnt actually a quote from Gallagher though. Actually reading what was posted its not clear one way or the other as he specifically states our improvement next year will be from the players who didnt play most of the year like Clark and Billings. So its a confusing article that looks like its left half the interview and its context out. Would be nice to hear the audio but its the herald sun.

But this is my point, you and others on here are jumping out of windows over half quoted articles and perceived "mis-trades" for players that either were never coming, the deals they went for are outside the scope of what we thought were reasonable or we just didnt rate them and then form wild theories based on it all.

Are we going to improve next year? Yes, I think with the coaching revisions we will be able to get the players into the correct headspace so that that post bye fall off doesnt occur. Of course its going to require another couple of players going to another level as well but this could easily happen. Clark very well can come back and play his hear out. Coffield training like a madman for the last 18 months may come to fruition. Windhager becomes a consistent inside bull midfielder. Howard plays a more natural game with Cordy available to take certain players.

Nothing is guaranteed, but even a mildly open mind can see all over where the improvements can come from.

I just dont see the point in throwing in the towel right now and wallowing in misery when we are 100% going the right way by balancing the list through the draft now. When we have a new set of guys to look forward to im sure the general feel in here will improve but at the moment it is absolutely dire.

That wasnt actually a quote from Gallagher though. Actually reading what was posted its not clear one way or the other as he specifically states our improvement next year will be from the players who didnt play most of the year like Clark and Billings. So its a confusing article that looks like its left half the interview and its context out. Would be nice to hear the audio but its the herald sun.

But this is my point, you and others on here are jumping out of windows over half quoted articles and perceived "mis-trades" for players that either were never coming, the deals they went for are outside the scope of what we thought were reasonable or we just didnt rate them and then form wild theories based on it all.

Are we going to improve next year? Yes, I think with the coaching revisions we will be able to get the players into the correct headspace so that that post bye fall off doesnt occur. Of course its going to require another couple of players going to another level as well but this could easily happen. Clark very well can come back and play his hear out. Coffield training like a madman for the last 18 months may come to fruition. Windhager becomes a consistent inside bull midfielder. Howard plays a more natural game with Cordy available to take certain players.

Nothing is guaranteed, but even a mildly open mind can see all over where the improvements can come from.

I just dont see the point in throwing in the towel right now and wallowing in misery when we are 100% going the right way by balancing the list through the draft now. When we have a new set of guys to look forward to im sure the general feel in here will improve but at the moment it is absolutely dire.
Gags was stuffed as soon as there wasn't another Mc Kernan and Frawley to bring in, unfortunately he's not one of the better list managers in the AFL.

Remember that season we finished 10th and then did nothing during the trade period? It was clearly the turning point for the club.

Play it again George

1665579127319.gif

Last edited:
I am disappointed we didn’t go hard for Lachie Hunter. Plenty of footy left and a good user that can play inside and out.
Sorry to invade, but don't be disappointed.

There were some good reasons why we wanted him gone. We were "apparently" prepared to pay his contract out to ensure he never steps inside the football club again

Now that North fans are saying that they'll get him for nothing in 12 months, when was the last time a player left for peanuts a year after a trade request?

Why would Clark want to go try and go back there? Rawlings doesn’t rate him and neither do North. Their offer to St Kilda said it all.

Hunter should be offended.

I hope Ratts sat Clark down and said that this is where other clubs rate you, your coasting on your "potential" but that's run out.

Up to him to turn it around or become a state player at 25....
Then I hope Clark sat Ratts down and said what are you and the director of coaching doing to ensure that players like me reach our potential? Are you implementing the most professional practices as non-negotiable? Are you more concerned with driving high standards or keeping everyone happy? What concrete steps do you think I should take to become a competition leader (No soft-skills/affirmation type inspirational quotes please) What are you doing for the players that need the most attention and help, and do you even know who they are? Is your playing strategy one that plays to the strengths of the team?

Champed, damn.

I think most can see our issue is consistency. When we play at our best we can match it with anyone, we've shown that but we are a mediocre side because we don't do it every week. So we've shown the talent is there to win a flag but we need to get serious about the work required to become a consistently good side and make that a reality.
I'm not sure about us being flag winning material...a lot would have to go right and a lot wrong with other teams... but I agree with the rest of the post.
Our team needs to get to work.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back