List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

So do you want us to hit the draft or waste picks on a gop who doesn't like to ruck?

I didn't want Lobb but it would have made sense to take a Weed or Schache if that was what they were saying that they'd do.

Funnily enough, this is the first article that mentioned the addition of pick 7 with Bowes. And we are one of the clubs mentioned who has enquired.

So according to that article the Saints had shown interest BEFORE the pick 7 was a part of it.

'It means clubs such as Hawthorn, St Kilda, Geelong and Essendon, who have all shown interest in Bowes, would also be in line to land the extra draft capital as part of the deal to take the versatile Sun's contract off their books.'

Well, well, well, some red faces on this board who hung their hat on the Saints being late to the party and only came on board AFTER the pick 7 was involved.
Seems like Geelong who probably had contact months before due to Hocking was the preferred all along.

Wow Embarrassing :)

It is a numerical calculation based off each players weighting on “afl player ratings”

So Geelong/Melbourne/Sydney/Freo not really moving, is actually good for them.

Port not moving doesn’t factor in the potential growth of JHF

Richmond moving massively is a reflection of the weighting of players they brought in.

It isn’t a great metric to be honest
Thanks for that explanation.
I shall place this set of numbers in the bin marked: “Another useless data point that Sunny can forget”.

• These players cost us millions of dollars.
  • Stopped younger players from getting a start in games.
  • Gave little leadership in return (Ryder excepted)
  • Limited our opportunities of other more longer term recruits
  • Took up a huge amount of resources of our rehab staff
  • Stopped younger players from getting the resources they needed to improve

As for McKernan who can forget his kick for goal when he was brought in to sure up our goal kicking stocks after we had kicked 9.20 the week before. Players like this do more to debilitate our credentials than improve them.
Can’t agree with any of these points.

* Hanners cost a lot of money we had to use or lose. The rest were on peanuts.
*which of these players regularly stopped younger players from getting games? Aside from Paddy, most of them barely played. They were break glass in case of emergency players. ( who we actually did have to use on occasion)
*What other longer term recruits, who would be prepared to play in the twos, did we actually miss out on?
*Aside from Hannebery, none of them were injured so much that they used “huge amount” of rehab resources.
* How did these players “stop younger players getting resources they needed to improve” ?

I'll let Nick Riewoldt do my arguing for me.

In further good news I saw his kids starting school in Texas on Insta. I hope he's not permanently moving there.

I didn't want Lobb but it would have made sense to take a Weed or Schache if that was what they were saying that they'd do.
So you want gop's and us trade out dp's? Thought you did want gops and hit the draft? The only way to get a top quality player and not pay frdp's is through FA, we tried with DeGoey and missed out, we used FA on a gop in Cordy as it cost no dp's.

S we trade out dp's for gops, or not?

Can’t agree with any of these points.

* Hanners cost a lot of money we had to use or lose. The rest were on peanuts.
*which of these players regularly stopped younger players from getting games? Aside from Paddy, most of them barely played. They were break glass in case of emergency players. ( who we actually did have to use on occasion)
*What other longer term recruits, who would be prepared to play in the twos, did we actually miss out on?
*Aside from Hannebery, none of them were injured so much that they used “huge amount” of rehab resources.
* How did these players “stop younger players getting resources they needed to improve” ?

OK, so you agree with how we topped up our list to make us competitive rather than building talent from within.

Fair enough, each to their own.

My last rant and then I'm moving on. Somewhat jealous of what Hawthorn did by forcing a change to their list.

They move an aging Mitchell into an opportunity-starved 21yo 1st Round Pick. They moved an aging O'Meara into a 5-10 year ruckman.

Both moves needing no Draft picks.

We could have done that with Hill, with Membrey. Just feels like we're going to waste another season hanging onto a mediocre list. Hawks aren't dying wondering.

If we're going to invest in the Draft, invest in the Draft.
Not envious of Hawthorn one bit

Cutting back that far has proven to be detrimental to clubs in the past

We did it, Melbourne did it their first rebuild, North going through it now

I'd be surprised if he didn't float Hill.

It would have been a mistake trading Membrey though. King needs help down there. That doesn't help at all.

I would have happily given Ross away for a 3rd rounder even though he had a good year though. Time to start getting the younger generation through the middle.

OK, so you agree with how we topped up our list to make us competitive rather than building talent from within.

What about topping up with Wilkie, Sinclair, as rookies, Highmore, Sharman as MSD and Wood who is in career best form through the PSD, sshhhh don't mention them, that doesn't suit the narrative.

I think our recruitment team needs to take some responsibility for our lack of bargaining chips. To put all your chips on DeGoey, then stall on everything else inbetween is strange... talk about a lack of multi-tasking or zero scenario planning.

I'm really happy that Clark didn't go, but I hope there is no damage from the fact he was seemingly put up for trade.
Which other free agent out there would you like to have got?
You are kidding surely when you say they concentrated on De Goey to the exclusion of any other trade scenario?

Yep, it was boring an as batsh*t trade period, but we were told from the outset we were going to the draft, and not going to be throwing picks away.

If you honestly don’t think they would have been/ and probably still are presently, trying to improve our draft hand, then I can’t help you.

And please don’t throw up Bowes again - we obviously had been interested as per the article Joffa posted, but he was going to the Cats or bust. They had been working on him for months and months.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you want gop's and us trade out dp's? Thought you did want gops and hit the draft? The only way to get a top quality player and not pay frdp's is through FA, we tried with DeGoey and missed out, we used FA on a gop in Cordy as it cost no dp's.

S we trade out dp's for gops, or not?

I'm just responding to the inconsistencies in the messaging. Some were saying we weren't after a ruck. That's not what the club was saying.

I'm just responding to the inconsistencies in the messaging. Some were saying we weren't after a ruck. That's not what the club was saying.
I am responding to the inconsistencies of the forum narrative, should we have gone for gops or should we have gone with our stated position of FA's and keeping our dp's, you see you can't do both, unless you have insider trading like Geelong.

Not envious of Hawthorn one bit

Cutting back that far has proven to be detrimental to clubs in the past

We did it, Melbourne did it their first rebuild, North going through it now

I'd be surprised if he didn't float Hill.

It would have been a mistake trading Membrey though. King needs help down there. That doesn't help at all.

I would have happily given Ross away for a 3rd rounder even though he had a good year though. Time to start getting the younger generation through the middle.

Yeah, heavy cutting is not great these days. Player movement seems to be moving faster and easier so making yourself ugly is a really hard core way to rebuild. Plenty of clubs have done on the fly rebuilds and heavy top ups in one season so far.

It's like the whole trade and list management environment changed this off season. Richmond, Port, Brisbane, Geelong have all done major surgery and bought in the kind of talent that used to take years to amass.

Without priority picks, being an unattractive club probably makes it more likely that you lose players wanting out than improving quickly.

I hope we aren't tempted to do the same thing. We really need to nail the next two drafts and then try to get a lot of missing pieces traded in before we fall away again.

Funnily enough, this is the first article that mentioned the addition of pick 7 with Bowes. And we are one of the clubs mentioned who has enquired.

There’s another article somewhere where Bowes manager indicated he deliberately limited the number of clubs that could participate to four.
We weren’t one of them.
Geelong, Essendon, Hawthorn and I think Collingwood, were.

Which other free agent out there would you like to have got?
You are kidding surely when you say they concentrated on De Goey to the exclusion of any other trade scenario?

Yep, it was boring an as batsh*t trade period, but we were told from the outset we were going to the draft, and not going to be throwing picks away.

If you honestly don’t think they would have been/ and probably still are presently, trying to improve our draft hand, then I can’t help you.

And please don’t throw up Bowes again - he was going to the Cats or bust. They had been working on him for months and months.

If you read my posts. I'm overly happy with the trade week:

• I was very happy to keep Hunter (one of my favourite players).... not happy with what his manager said today
  • I wasn't overly positive on the DeGoey offer, just a massive circus
  • Unhappy with anything that pertains to Geelong (Bowes included... )

Not really happy with our football department and FYI the president isn't either. Unless our review comes out as a glowing endorsement of our systems.

You can add - happy with the Walsh appointment.

I am responding to the inconsistencies of the forum narrative, should we have gone for gops or should we have gone with our stated position of FA's and keeping our dp's, you see you can't do both, unless you have insider trading like Geelong.

It was an article that people were responding to saying it wasn't a priority. According to the club it was. If they didn't chase one it seems like it wasn't though. I just want to know what the plan to improve is at this point. They can't spend another 5 years rebuilding but not really planning it as they go. I don't have any faith that they have a consistent plan in place.

In further good news I saw his kids starting school in Texas on Insta. I hope he's not permanently moving there.
They've been doing that for years. After footy season the family goes over there for a few months

Not at all . I wasnt a huge fan of any of these, particularly McKernan and Frawley, but every team need, and would have, players of that caliber sitting in the twos as insurance. These players served a purpose and none of them prevented us getting high quality players.

The picks we used for these players would have got us nothing. Having a look back at what we used, all very late picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back