2023 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if a potential father/son prospect does not have a close connection to his father’s club it gives him more control over his playing destination than other draftees ( other than northern academy kids) all of whom go into the draft and could end up anywhere. I am sure that has some appeal to some kids and their families.

In my view, it is that simple. I do agree it's not strong enough for "bring him home" calls, but it's a connection nonetheless.

Again, with Day, he neither supported Hawks nor saw his granddad play but he felt that connection once he arrived.

Both my dad and granddad served in the Air Force, when I joined Air Cadets when I was younger, I felt some pride wearing the same uniform they did.

If Noah, for whatever reason, did join us, I'm sure he'd feel that connection, even if it wasn't a factor in the decision to join us.
I have no doubt they felt the same pride seeing you wear it.

Same goes for fathers of the F-Ss.

Shane Crawford loves Hawthorn and will always be a Hawthorn man. His kids I'm sure if nominating for the draft would jump at the chance to go father son to us.

No connection to Hawthorn at all..
fmd. View attachment 1592304
That’s 7 years ago.

Shane will, you’re no doubt correct, but I’m talking about his kids.

and I said no “current” connection.
1674538851273.jpeg

Dressing kids in footy gear doesn’t mean 7 years later they’re still connected to that football club does it?

Last edited:

That’s 7 years ago.

Shane will, you’re no doubt correct, but I’m talking about his kids.

and I said no “current” connection.
View attachment 1592448

Dressing kids in footy gear doesn’t mean 7 years later they’re still connected to that football club does it?

It depends on how they are brought up and whether the club was inculcated into them.

Had a former colleague whose dad played for the swans when they were south Melbourne. The colleague followed the swans religiously even though there was no clear connection other than his dad. Everything else about him suggested Melbourne or hawthorn. He brought up his kids to follow the swans as well.

Me on the other hand - my son is a member like me and despite my best efforts, my daughter follows the cats! Our easter Monday games often result in someone sulking for hours.

Curious question and am asking because I haven't seen any stats but are Hodge's boys showing any potential? Cooper (born in 2008) is 15 so if was any good should be in the scouts sights if there's any high end potential.
TBH - I haven’t been able to find anything written about the kids of either Hodge or Crawford as footballers (let alone potential draft standard footballers) in the past 18 months.

Not a “current” connection.

Most of Hodge’s and Crawford’s kids were born after they left Hawthorn.

In your mind there may be an historical connection, but in 2023 they have no connection with us. Hodge played / coached Brisbane as his kids grew up. Burgoyne took the whole family back to Port where he now works. Crawford lives up near the NSW/ QLD border and isn’t involved at the club either.

So that means no current connection.

Anderson likewise, and almost inevitably would have no historical pull towards playing for Hawthorn.
From what I understand, Crawf’s boys are all still massive hawks fans despite living up north. Not sure they can play though.

Burgoyne’s not sure but they are all back in the port family. Hodge’s seem Lions bound unless there’s a change in living situation. But as we all know, there’s statistically a small chance they’re AFL quality anyway.

Have I missed the list of quality Free Agents this year who would be worth chasing?
not the fussed with their childhood dream teams , looking for the skilled ones that like winning and are quality humans.

It’s a pretty sad list this year.

From what I understand, Crawf’s boys are all still massive hawks fans despite living up north. Not sure they can play though.

Burgoyne’s not sure but they are all back in the port family. Hodge’s seem Lions bound unless there’s a change in living situation. But as we all know, there’s statistically a small chance they’re AFL quality anyway.
Agree. Hodge's kids are Bris bound. Cooper would be nearly 15 now. We'd know if he's a player or not by now.
Similar with Ky Burgoyne and Charlie Crawford.

Granted, they have multiple sons between them.

Lewis has 4 sons. Clearly can only be Hawks.

Roughy has a son.

And of course Buddy has Rocky Franklin, who would clearly be Swans bound.

Agree. Hodge's kids are Bris bound. Cooper would be nearly 15 now. We'd know if he's a player or not by now.

Roughy has a son.

I must be missing something - why would the Hodge boys be tied to Brisbane? Luke only played 41 games for them. Unless you are talking academy? Wouldn’t FS overrule academy.

I must be missing something - why would the Hodge boys be tied to Brisbane? Luke only played 41 games for them. Unless you are talking academy? Wouldn’t FS overrule academy.

Not if they don’t nominate for F/S.

I posted something earlier about Noah Anderson that seems to have disappeared into the ether. Can’t seem to find it.

Anyway - saw on C7 that Tom Browne reported Noah is close to extending for 4 years with GC.

Puts paid any trade talk for him for a while. Not going to separate him and Matt Rowell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH - I haven’t been able to find anything written about the kids of either Hodge or Crawford as footballers (let alone potential draft standard footballers) in the past 18 months.
In a podcast it was mentioned Crawford was at the BH vs GC VFL final on the Gold Coast. It was after a final (maybe grand final?) his son (eldest?) played in at the ground. Crawf asked if he was allowed in the rooms and he knew a handful of people all these years later.

I believe Olivia and Crawf had a son and then another son and they wanted a daughter and then of course had twin boys. The karma of all his cheek catching up with him. 🤣

I think we would all guess the Crawford’s would choose HFC if it was offered. I would hope the same with Hodge. I guess both will still work in Melbourne to some extent if that is a factor who knows.

Roughy has a son.

JL has said to me that we have a lot to look forward to with f/s's but the way he said it made me think there is still some distance between himself and the club that needs bridging.

LH has stated categorically that his kids are all Lions supporters and too young to remember his halcyon days at Hawthorn. They think Charlie Cameron is a little bit special though.

The romance (read inequity) of the F/S has run its course - it is a disaster for the concept of a level playing field and needs to be scrapped post haste.

On SM-F936B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even if they don't grow up supporting hawthorn or the father left on bad terms. Going into a draft with the option to nominate instead of having no clue is attractive to many players.

Also when hodge, Lewis and buddy's kids look at photos of their dads holding cups it's in Hawthorn gear.

JL has said to me that we have a lot to look forward to with f/s's but the way he said it made me think there is still some distance between himself and the club that needs bridging.
Out of curiosity, when did you speak to Jordan? I've always felt he was still a bit bitter with the club, but also think Sam has put in some work to bring him back into the fold.

Out of curiosity, when did you speak to Jordan? I've always felt he was still a bit bitter with the club, but also think Sam has put in some work to bring him back into the fold.
About halfway through 2022 - it was more a YOU have a lot to look forward to rather than WE have a lot to look forward to. Great guy though all the same - one thing I will say about the former Hawks boys we have stay at our resort is the way they are invested in their kids from the average Charlie stands out. I would add Chris Judd to that list.

On SM-F936B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Will McCabe could be the Hawks best ever F/S pick in our history later this year.
Mids are nicely filled, time to stock up on talls.
He fits the bill nicely and will hopefully cost a bag of chips. Fingers, toes and anything else we can cross and hope he keeps developing into a gun this year.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back