List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a more serious note: Our midfield depth.
With Cuningham, Philp, Ed, Fogarty and potentially Dow all most likely leaving at the end of this season we are going to be bare cupboards until our next generation comes through and are ready to go. While we do have multiple years of Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra and Walsh we still need to have a couple of backup options outside of Doc.

Right now we have only 2 young 'inside mids' in Carroll and Hollands. Others such as Kemp, Honey, Durdin and Cotters... maybe they could shift there and find some success, but the jury is well and truly out on that. Dow is really our only half reliable young mid with a mature body not in the 22 at present and he's shown he can really only play as an inside ball winner and nothing else. I'd expect he will sign to stay on a rookie contract in 2024 if no clubs come biting for him.

A fairly bleak outlook imo. Obviously we'll look to draft a couple more kids over the next few years, but I think we need to inject some mature agers who are happy to play games in the 2's like Luke Dunstan did for the Dees... Or we need to inject some more flexible players into our 22. Players like Jack Graham or Elijah Hollands who can play on a half forward line and also pinch hit in the middle when needed. A few others I like include Mark O'Connor from the Cats, Jarrod Berry and Ollie Florent. All will be on the edge of their teams B22s with their latest additions. All of whom can play on other lines to a high standard but also give our midfield mix a different dynamic when they are needed.

My number 1 target end of year would be Harry Himmelberg obviously, but I really think we need to add some more mature bodies like those I listed above if we are going to commit to cleaning out the injury ravaged players that have hamstrung our list the last few years.

Last edited:
With Cuningham, Philp, Ed, Fogarty and potentially Dow all leaving at the end of this season we are going to be bare cupboards until our next generation comes through and are ready to go. While we do have multiple years of Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra and Walsh we still need to have a couple of backup options outside of Doc.

Right now we have as our only 2 young 'inside mids' in Carroll and Hollands. Others such as Kemp, Honey, Durdin and Cotters... maybe they could shift there and find some success, but the jury is well and truly out on that. Dow is really our only half reliable young mid with a mature body not in the 22 at present and he's shown he can really only play as an inside ball winner and nothing else. I'd expect he will sign to stay on a rookie contract in 2024 if no clubs come biting for him.

A fairly bleak outlook imo. Obviously we'll look to draft a couple more kids over the next few years, but I think we need to inject some mature agers who are happy to play games in the 2's like Luke Dunstan did for the Dees... Or we need to inject some more flexible players into our 22. Players like Jack Graham or Elijah Hollands who can play on a half forward line and also pinch hit in the middle when needed. A few others I like include Mark O'Connor from the Cats, Jarrod Berry and Ollie Florent. All of whom can play on other lines to a high standard but also give our midfield mix a different dynamic when they are needed.

My number 1 target end of year would be Harry Himmelberg obviously, but I really think we need to add some more mature bodies like those I listed above if we are going to commit to cleaning out the injury ravaged players that have hamstrung our list the last few years.
I doubt Himmelberg chooses us based on the current riches we have with key talls, but you never know. I think there would be much larger offers elsewhere.

I doubt Himmelberg chooses us based on the current riches we have with key talls, but you never know. I think there would be much larger offers elsewhere.
You could be correct, but we can offer him:

A perfect spot for him down back as a 3rd tall rebounder.
A perfect spot up forward for him as a 3rd target and distributor in JSOS' role.
Possible success in the near future given the talent on our list.
A young group with the core all in his age bracket.
And the chance to play for a big Melbourne club in front of big crowds most likely with a few finals on the horizon.

I actually think we'd be arguably the best opportunity for him out of any club given his skillset. Perhaps theres a bit of Carlton bias in that, but he's never been a dominant number 1 target due to his size and he's always seemed to naturally play a very team oriented style as more a distributing and unselfish player who's good at setting up teammates. Both positions he plays are positions we need filled/upgraded too.

Himmelberg or even McKay would be great pick-ups, but they would be more wants than needs

I'd prefer we target players with speed and high level foot skills
Himmelberg as a FA and ask the question a year early for Elijah Hollands. These 2 and id be happy

With Cuningham, Philp, Ed, Fogarty and potentially Dow all leaving at the end of this season we are going to be bare cupboards until our next generation comes through and are ready to go. While we do have multiple years of Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra and Walsh we still need to have a couple of backup options outside of Doc.

Right now we have only 2 young 'inside mids' in Carroll and Hollands. Others such as Kemp, Honey, Durdin and Cotters... maybe they could shift there and find some success, but the jury is well and truly out on that. Dow is really our only half reliable young mid with a mature body not in the 22 at present and he's shown he can really only play as an inside ball winner and nothing else. I'd expect he will sign to stay on a rookie contract in 2024 if no clubs come biting for him.

A fairly bleak outlook imo. Obviously we'll look to draft a couple more kids over the next few years, but I think we need to inject some mature agers who are happy to play games in the 2's like Luke Dunstan did for the Dees... Or we need to inject some more flexible players into our 22. Players like Jack Graham or Elijah Hollands who can play on a half forward line and also pinch hit in the middle when needed. A few others I like include Mark O'Connor from the Cats, Jarrod Berry and Ollie Florent. All will be on the edge of their teams B22s with their latest additions. All of whom can play on other lines to a high standard but also give our midfield mix a different dynamic when they are needed.

We possibly shouldn't assume that the collective wisdom here on bf necessarily reflects the club's plans.

Himmelberg as a FA and ask the question a year early for Elijah Hollands. These 2 and id be happy
We have a lot of draft currency to work with to get that deal done if Gold Coast are willing to come to the table. As long as the Campo twins continue progressing, we can disregard our 2024 picks as they'd slot in perfectly to us needing to bring in some young midfield and flankers at that time.

Himmelberg (free agent)
Hollands
D. Mckenzie

Would be my wishlist.

We possibly shouldn't assume that the collective wisdom here on bf necessarily reflects the club's plans.
3 of them have spent the last 2-3 years in a rehab group and Ed is almost certainly in his final year, at an absolute stretch maybe he goes around 1 more. While not a certainty, I'd say it's pretty close. But I'll go back and add 'most likely' given it isn't a certainty, you're correct.

3 of them have spent the last 2-3 years in a rehab group and Ed is almost certainly in his final year, at an absolute stretch maybe he goes around 1 more. While not a certainty, I'd say it's pretty close. But I'll go back and add 'most likely' given it isn't a certainty, you're correct.
Agree that the majority of them will likely be gone at the end of the year, but the depth issue you point out could see us hanging on to one or two. It wouldn't shock me if the club decided to keep Fogarty purely as depth, for example. And I haven't yet given up hope for Cuningham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I read it silently in my head does it count?

Then you have other larger issues.

The only reason I slightly disagree with this is because of the plethora of other injury prone players without his level of talent.

Cuningham, Marchbank, Philp, Fogarty...

Then add to that

Ed Curnow, Dow, Honey, Akuei all may be departing come end of year.

That would be a big list of turnover if we included Martin and Gov in there too.

To add to that - Most of those players are what we'd call our senior bodies. We're rapidly running out of read made replacements on our list if you look at our depth. I'm very happy with Carroll and Hollands etc but they aren't ready to go replacements like Ed or Fogarty despite probably being more talented players. They'd get smashed around the contest if we didn't have the big boys to surround them

Talent only takes you so far. What good is talent if you can't display it?

5-6 off the senior list (for example, Marchbank, Philp, Fogarty, Dow, Honey, McGovern) isn't a huge turnover. Replacing them with guys who are able to stay on the park may be hugely beneficial straight away.

Types like Chayce Jones, Schoenberg, McKenzie, Lohmann, Noble, Farrar, Ash, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, all OOC

As a side note, if we were to lose TDK, I would target Flynn

We have a lot of draft currency to work with to get that deal done if Gold Coast are willing to come to the table. As long as the Campo twins continue progressing, we can disregard our 2024 picks as they'd slot in perfectly to us needing to bring in some young midfield and flankers at that time.

Himmelberg (free agent)
Hollands
D. Mckenzie

Would be my wishlist.

Any names which come to mind?
If we free up enough salary cap at the end of the season, it is conceivable to nab a free agent. Our “window” should make us attractive for this. Elijah Hollands is enough of a hybrid type to consider deviating from this. Josh Rachele comes to mind as another in this category. Time is on our side, so I would not be targeting these blokes until out of contract. I love both Himmelberg and Ben McKay who are impending free agents, but they are not really a need. Could justify an interceptor if we were to lose both McGovern and Marchbank at season’s end, but I am hoping Kemp elevates enough to command this role.

I do not want to compromise our draft position in coming years, unless it is to mitigate a high range bid on a potential father/son prospect. Our salary cap will remain tight, the best way to mitigate this is to keep bringing in draftees on minimal wages while giving ourselves the possibility of adding elite young players for sustained success.

Edit: Hoping we will not need to target Flynn or similar. Want O’Keeffe to show his wares this season and Mirkov to become a realistic, albeit different type option in the interim. I missed the potential of O’Keeffe at draft time, his pace and athleticism is in a “different level” for a young ruckman. I have loved the glimpses so far. Elements of Jackson traits and likely to elevate early. TDK is a massive piece in our future management though.

Last edited:
Then you have other larger issues.

Talent only takes you so far. What good is talent if you can't display it?

5-6 off the senior list (for example, Marchbank, Philp, Fogarty, Dow, Honey, McGovern) isn't a huge turnover. Replacing them with guys who are able to stay on the park may be hugely beneficial straight away.
No, I agree with replacing injury prone players. My only point is that Mcgov would be my most likely to stay of the injury prone players given our lack of interceptors and footskills. If we could add 3-4 senior bodies and some young draftees that can stay on the park we'd be far better off next year.

It's a shame because I'm a big fan, but Mitch just hasn't worked out at Carlton.

I think he has a role to play in 2023 but at this stage I don't want him at the club in 2024.

Not because I think he can't play, but because we cannot afford to continue re-contracting players who can't stay on the park.
We have been hamstrung (pun only partially intended) by our injury list over the past few years, and early signs indicate this may again be the case in 2023.

We say it all the time - talent only takes you so far. You need more than talent to carve out a long and successful career. Some players just don't have the body to match. And at some stage we have to cut the cord.

McGovern is certainly talented enough to remain but his body lets him down too often. It's unfortunate but this sport is brutal and our club has to develop a harder edge.

Same goes for Marchbank, Cuningham and Philp. There's an argument to say Martin and Williams are in that basket too.

We all want these guys to succeed but I think people underestimate just how big a difference replacing them with players who are capable of staying on the park can make. It may just help us push into that top bracket.

Jeremy McGovern? Great footballer at his best, but at 31 turning 32 and with a body made of glass...thanks but no thanks. We can do better. We have to do better.

No loss if Mitch goes.

Get BMckay.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d be a bit disappointed if McGovern finally got the body right, has a really good year then decided to go play with the brother, if the club has a good year and plays finals then that decision would make less sense…

Himmelberg 26yrs May 1996 196cm-95kg 127games 149goals would be a fantastic target to land if available…

So keep McGee and get rid of Cuningham and Marchbank? The sad part is, I can actually see us do this.....
I'd give Marchbank and Philp just one more chance and delist or try to trade all the other injury prone players. I know contract situations would make a few trades prohibitive but I'd give it a crack.

JHF leaving North after one season whilst contracted = 👍🏻

Speculation the McGoverns are considering their options whilst OOC = 👎🏻

Not even trying to hide his bias now.

A little bit different IMO.
Aside from taking JHF first, something every other club would have done, I’m not sure what North have done to earn his loyalty in comparison with us handing
Gov a fat contract which was overs at the time and to which his response is turning up unfit on Day 1 at the club and displaying an ongoing lack of professionalism contributing to him playing 40 out of a possible 83 games.

Gov owes us big time
s**t output for what he’s been paid
If he’s worth his salt he’ll sign on at a heavily reduced contract which is incentive based
#stayo#stayontheparkffs
I agree although I’m not holding my breath. The fact this story is out there suggest one of them (or their managers) has leaked it to the press.

A little bit different IMO.
Aside from taking JHF first, something every other club would have done, I’m not sure what North have done to earn his loyalty in comparison with us handing
Gov a fat contract which was overs at the time and to which his response is turning up unfit on Day 1 at the club and displaying an ongoing lack of professionalism contributing to him playing 40 out of a possible 83 games.
We would’ve traded him out in an instant had a club even offered us something half reasonable.

No loyalty left in footy. Both ways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back