List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd give Marchbank and Philp just one more chance and delist or try to trade all the other injury prone players. I know contract situations would make a few trades prohibitive but I'd give it a crack.

Marchy still highly rated and regarded, and versatile enough that if he can stay relatively healthy this season we would have to give serious consideration to a one-year extension.

Philp, on the other hand, I can't see hanging around. 2 games in 3 years, injured again, he's been overtaken by Motlop and Durdin up forward, Acres and Hollands have slotted in straight ahead of him, and he will be overtaken by the likes of Carroll and Binns by the end of this year. That far down the pecking order, he'd just about have to be one of the first 3 or 4 names looked at when it comes time to cut the list back.

I doubt Himmelberg chooses us based on the current riches we have with key talls, but you never know. I think there would be much larger offers elsewhere.

Depends where he wants to play, pretty sure he played mostly down back in the second half of last season, looked good

Apparently forwardline this year
Reckon Himmelberg is not for us. Probably need $600k per year to prise him out. He's not playing key forward for us. Not sure that he's better than Young and don't believe that he's worth getting on that money as a third defender.

Don't see him as a need currently. Things could change by seasons end of course.

Reckon Himmelberg is not for us. Probably need $600k per year to prise him out. He's not playing key forward for us. Not sure that he's better than Young and don't believe that he's worth getting on that money as a third defender.

Don't see him as a need currently. Things could change by seasons end of course.

Thing is, given how mobile he is, he can play 3rd tall, or a KPP, at either end

If guys like Gov leave and or Marchbank can't stay on the park, Himmelberg slots straight in

As a forward, he is an upgrade on Jsos. A forward line with McKay, Himmelberg and Curnow would be unstoppable

600K is a steal

Thing is, given how mobile he is, he can play 3rd tall, or a KPP, at either end

If guys like Gov leave and or Marchbank can't stay on the park, Himmelberg slots straight in

As a forward, he is an upgrade on Jsos. A forward line with McKay, Himmelberg and Curnow would be unstoppable

600K is a steal
Don't think so. I think that he's a KPF only and doesn't have enough tricks to be a 3rd forward. Think that he'd be more likely to get in the way of Harry and Charlie rather than complement them.

He's an almost footballer, not quite good enough to be a gun forward and not quite fast enough to be a general forward. He went to defence last year because the giants thought they could do better up forward. He's not bad , but there are areas (and players) that we can strategically target to improve us more.

Don't think so. I think that he's a KPF only and doesn't have enough tricks to be a 3rd forward. Think that he'd be more likely to get in the way of Harry and Charlie rather than complement them.
Not just a KPF, showed he could be a dominant defender as well. That would mean Jsos would get in the way of Charlie and Harry?

Has plenty of tricks, again quicker and more agile than Jack
He's an almost footballer, not quite good enough to be a gun forward and not quite fast enough to be a general forward. He went to defence last year because the giants thought they could do better up forward. He's not bad , but there are areas (and players) that we can strategically target to improve us more.

If we lose Gov and Marchbank, Himmelberg is a great get

I think you severely underrate him

Not convinced we’d be better off with Himmelberg over JSOS up forward. For what we’d gain in the air we’d lose on the ground. Jack is extremely good on the lead and will present all day. Himmelberg more a high flier.

I’d love him down back if we lost McGovern. He looked far more comfortable in defence than up forward. Is definitely more durable.

His flexibility is a huge positive but we must be mindful of what we have and what will work with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg when he was playing 3rd fiddle to Cameron and Finlayson in GWS contending years kicked 38 goals at 1.5 a game and had 27 goal assists at 1.1 a game. His conversion rate was 74.5% in front of the big sticks.

He was 22 years old then and he's gone from strength to strength since then showing his flexibility down the field.

He isn't an AA level key forward as a main target, but he'd probably be close to the best 3rd tall fwd in the comp - Which imo is where he's best suited. Unfortunately he simply hasn't had a forward line to work with the last few years like he did when Cameron and Finlayson were there.

Would be a massive upgrade on JSOS regardless of how hard Jack works. Himmelberg is just a far more talented and better player. Really great football IQ too, similar to Jacks

Not just a KPF, showed he could be a dominant defender as well. That would mean Jsos would get in the way of Charlie and Harry?

Has plenty of tricks, again quicker and more agile than Jack

If we lose Gov and Marchbank, Himmelberg is a great get

I think you severely underrate him

Would apply absolutely no pressure on the ball leaving our forward line, something that Jsos does in spades. Averages a goal and a bit a game taking into account his games in defence as a KPF. He really isn't all that quick. It's rare that a forward gets moved to defence because they are going too well up forward.

Couldn't see any possibility that he is like for like with marchbank or McGovern as he is not really an interceptor.

I've seen a fair bit of him from when I lived in Sydney and used to watch GWS a fair bit. It sounds a bit strange but he would make us vaguely better but not specifically better. He is actually quite good at flicking his hair out of his eyes as the ball rebounds out of their forward line and looking a bit like Edge from WWE.

You and I agree on most things but I doubt that we will on this one. One thing I can guarantee is that our needs will look very different at seasons end than they do now.

Would apply absolutely no pressure on the ball leaving our forward line, something that Jsos does in spades. Averages a goal and a bit a game taking into account his games in defence as a KPF. He really isn't all that quick. It's rare that a forward gets moved to defence because they are going too well up forward.

Couldn't see any possibility that he is like for like with marchbank or McGovern as he is not really an interceptor.

I've seen a fair bit of him from when I lived in Sydney and used to watch GWS a fair bit. It sounds a bit strange but he would make us vaguely better but not specifically better. He is actually quite good at flicking his hair out of his eyes as the ball rebounds out of their forward line and looking a bit like Edge from WWE.

You and I agree on most things but I doubt that we will on this one. One thing I can guarantee is that our needs will look very different at seasons end than they do now.
Himmelberg over the last 4 years has averaged 0.775 tackles inside 50. Jack has averaged 0.8... We all love Jack but his stats don't back up some of the claims made about him. He's a B grade player at best and is playing a position we could make a dramatic improvement to with a free agent this off season.

Himmelberg Curnow and Mckay would be by far and away the most dangerous forward grouping in the league. All perfectly complimentary players too.

Himmelberg over the last 4 years has averaged 0.775 tackles inside 50. Jack has averaged 0.8... We all love Jack but his stats don't back up some of the claims made about him. He's a B grade player at best and is playing a position we could make a dramatic improvement to with a free agent this off season.

Himmelberg Curnow and Mckay would be by far and away the most dangerous forward grouping in the league. All perfectly complimentary players too.
Tackles and pressure are completely different things. Sometimes pressuring a player leaving defence is a better outcome than tackling a player and allowing him to get a handball away.

The Himmelberg I've watched over the years is nowhere near as good as some on here are claiming. When they struggled to kick a score last year the coaches moved him to the backline and moved hell and high water to draft a key forward.

If we got him as a free agent in 2024 he would turn 28 in May. We would need to offer him 4 or 5 years taking him to 32 - 33. The only reason I would be interested would be if Young seriously regressed.

"O the humanity"

Tackles and pressure are completely different things. Sometimes pressuring a player leaving defence is a better outcome than tackling a player and allowing him to get a handball away.

The Himmelberg I've watched over the years is nowhere near as good as some on here are claiming. When they struggled to kick a score last year the coaches moved him to the backline and moved hell and high water to draft a key forward.

If we got him as a free agent in 2024 he would turn 28 in May. We would need to offer him 4 or 5 years taking him to 32 - 33. The only reason I would be interested would be if Young seriously regressed.

"O the humanity"
Went back and in his first game had 37 touches, 16 marks, 700m gained and a goal. All at 95% efficiency.
Sounds like a dud.

"O the humanity"

They moved him back to sure up the backline, and due to his footskills coming out of the back half, not because he wasn't performing as a forward

Went back and in his first game had 37 touches, 16 marks, 700m gained and a goal. All at 95% efficiency.
Sounds like a dud.
Think that you might have to re read his stats. First game he had 15 touches and no goals. The game you are talking about was last year against North whilst he was playing at full back. Kick ins count for disposal and yardage once you leave the square. Had like 10 running bounces same day when playing on from kick ins. Would have had great supercoach points as well. Hoping Austin and co look at things a bit more in depth than that.

Think that you might have to re read his stats. First game he had 15 touches and no goals. The game you are talking about was last year against North whilst he was playing at full back. Kick ins count for disposal and yardage once you leave the square. Had like 10 running bounces same day when playing on from kick ins. Would have had great supercoach points as well. Hoping Austin and co look at things a bit more in depth than that.
Apologies. I misread and thought you meant in his very first game not first game in defence. My point stands though that it's not that hard getting good stats if you are taking every kick in.

Apologies. I misread and thought you meant in his very first game not first game in defence. My point stands though that it's not that hard getting good stats if you are taking every kick in.
No that's fine, I went back and looked and turns out that wasn't his very first game in defence anyway, just one of his first few. My memory is failing me these days on the wrong side of 25.

No matter the case Himmelberg is a beautiful kick and distributor for his teammates. I believe we'd see an increase in his performances up forward especially if he had some reliable targets to be kicking to like he did in 2018-2020.

If he wasn't chasing money and was looking at our list with some success as his goal, I think he'd take us a step closer to that as an improvement on multiple options on our list fwd or behind the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back