List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with Newman, Cottrell, Honey, Pittonet, Owies, obrien, fisher, Weitering, Walsh, Mckay, Curnow....there are not as many poor choices as you think
Yes agree there's plenty of upside & excitement with other youngsters, wasn't intentionally being gloomy, its unfortunate that Stocker and it seems Dow were poor choices, importantly recruitment is now diligent and professional, we're buoyed too by revival of management and the direction of the club, adjusted and focused by Sayers & Cook they're steering us to another premiership, Go Blues !!!!!!

Interesting story about the Mcgoverns wanting to play together, potentially come the end of this year.

Personally, wouldn't be wanting us to bring in yet another injury prone player even though at his best Jeremy was absolutely one of the best interceptors of this generation.

I would much rather send Mitch somewhere else to play together and try to bring in Himmelberg or another more reliable player to replace him down back but interested to hear others thoughts?

Interesting story about the Mcgoverns wanting to play together, potentially come the end of this year.

Personally, wouldn't be wanting us to bring in yet another injury prone player even though at his best Jeremy was absolutely one of the best interceptors of this generation.

I would much rather send Mitch somewhere else to play together and try to bring in Himmelberg or another more reliable player to replace him down back but interested to hear others thoughts?

Let's see how often Guv gets on the park this year?

I think you hit the nail on the head. I rate Mitch as high as anyone but any contract we offer should be heavily incentive based with a low base pay in case of further injuries. If we are going to lose him then worry about a replacement. Jeremy has been one of the better defenders in my time but I really don’t think he is worth it to us

Out Gov
In McKay

Himmelberg, Doedee or McKay would all be great replacements for McGov.

A shame though, because if he plays 18+ games at half back he’s AA quality.

Not interested in Jeremy at his age/wage.

Out Gov
In McKay

Would be interesting to see how that would shape our backline. Ideally you want two genuine key defenders and then a mobile and athletic third tall/interceptor. At the moment that's Weitering and Young, plus McGovern.

Trade Gov, bring in McKay as a free agent, and one of Weitering/Young needs to play the intercept role (Young with a bit more athleticism but less skilled in setting up play, Weitering slower but more effective by foot....Gov combines the best of both with a frustrating dose of injuries). Alternatively, Young gets squeezed out and we look to Marchy or Kemp as the third tall, perhaps even JSOS if he gets pushed out of the forward line.

The latter intrigues me.

Newman, McKay, JSOS
Williams, Weitering, Saad
I/C - Doc (mid/def split) plus one of Boyd or Cowan?

That's six blokes you can rely on to hit targets up the field. Bit of redundancy if Williams struggles in his recovery with Boyd and Cowan both viable replacements off half back, and hopefully both capable of playing a lockdown role on a small forward too.

It's a shame because I'm a big fan, but Mitch just hasn't worked out at Carlton.

I think he has a role to play in 2023 but at this stage I don't want him at the club in 2024.

Not because I think he can't play, but because we cannot afford to continue re-contracting players who can't stay on the park.
We have been hamstrung (pun only partially intended) by our injury list over the past few years, and early signs indicate this may again be the case in 2023.

We say it all the time - talent only takes you so far. You need more than talent to carve out a long and successful career. Some players just don't have the body to match. And at some stage we have to cut the cord.

McGovern is certainly talented enough to remain but his body lets him down too often. It's unfortunate but this sport is brutal and our club has to develop a harder edge.

Same goes for Marchbank, Cuningham and Philp. There's an argument to say Martin and Williams are in that basket too.

We all want these guys to succeed but I think people underestimate just how big a difference replacing them with players who are capable of staying on the park can make. It may just help us push into that top bracket.

Jeremy McGovern? Great footballer at his best, but at 31 turning 32 and with a body made of glass...thanks but no thanks. We can do better. We have to do better.

It's a shame because I'm a big fan, but Mitch just hasn't worked out at Carlton.

I think he has a role to play in 2023 but at this stage I don't want him at the club in 2024.

Not because I think he can't play, but because we cannot afford to continue re-contracting players who can't stay on the park.
We have been hamstrung (pun only partially intended) by our injury list over the past few years, and early signs indicate this may again be the case in 2023.

We say it all the time - talent only takes you so far. You need more than talent to carve out a long and successful career. Some players just don't have the body to match. And at some stage we have to cut the cord.

McGovern is certainly talented enough to remain but his body lets him down too often. It's unfortunate but this sport is brutal and our club has to develop a harder edge.

Same goes for Marchbank, Cuningham and Philp. There's an argument to say Martin and Williams are in that basket too.

We all want these guys to succeed but I think people underestimate just how big a difference replacing them with players who are capable of staying on the park can make. It may just help us push into that top bracket.

Jeremy McGovern? Great footballer at his best, but at 31 turning 32 and with a body made of glass...thanks but no thanks. We can do better. We have to do better.
If I hear the words Martin and calf in the same sentence one more time......

Re: Gov.

Let's not get too hasty.

Maybe Jeremy comes over for a player->coach type role.

Maybe it's more of a "it's be nice if we could" than a "move heaven and earth" to get on the some side.

I reckon if Mitch stays healthy we go deep into finals. That's how important he is to us.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason I slightly disagree with this is because of the plethora of other injury prone players without his level of talent.

Cuningham, Marchbank, Philp, Fogarty...

Then add to that

Ed Curnow, Dow, Honey, Akuei all may be departing come end of year.

That would be a big list of turnover if we included Martin and Gov in there too.

To add to that - Most of those players are what we'd call our senior bodies. We're rapidly running out of read made replacements on our list if you look at our depth. I'm very happy with Carroll and Hollands etc but they aren't ready to go replacements like Ed or Fogarty despite probably being more talented players. They'd get smashed around the contest if we didn't have the big boys to surround them

If Gov plays a full season, watch everyone back-flip on trading him out.
I don't think anyone here underestimates Mcgoverns ability. But as someone who is clearly not as professional as others on the list - or at a bare minimum hasn't been over his full time at Carlton - it's hard to make a case for him to deserve another contract with all our other injury prone players also fighting for those spots. Someone like Marchy has been ravaged by his injuries but has always maintained great shape and a good aerobic base. He's just damn unlucky.

I don't think anyone here underestimates Mcgoverns ability. But as someone who is clearly not as professional as others on the list - or at a bare minimum hasn't been over his full time at Carlton - it's hard to make a case for him to deserve another contract with all our other injury prone players also fighting for those spots. Someone like Marchy has been ravaged by his injuries but has always maintained great shape and a good aerobic base. He's just damn unlucky.
But Marchy is Gov-lite.

If Gov plays a full season, watch everyone back-flip on trading him out.

Will ultimately depend on the $. If he plays a full season there will be other clubs willing to take him on for what will likely be a better contract than we can offer.

20+ games at the level we know he can produce, and him signing for unders to repay the faith, is the dream.

1st - will never happen.
2nd - if it does, which won’t happen, then offer him, a greatly reduced 1 year deal and see his reaction.
3rd - if that all occurs and he signs. I’ll back-flip.
It's not the time of year to call for anyone's head, I reckon. We might all be surprised, but Gov, Marchy, JSOS and Kemp is probably 2 too many.

1st - will never happen.
2nd - if it does, which won’t happen, then offer him, a greatly reduced 1 year deal and see his reaction.
3rd - if that all occurs and he signs. I’ll back-flip.
If sb backflips I'll frontflip.....

If sb backflips I'll frontflip.....

flying survivor series GIF by WWE

Are you saying you're the one responsible for David Cuningham's 'wrestling' incident???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back