Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley has us missing the 8

Couldn’t quite tell if it was cause of hatred or his actual view

Some in the media say we have an elite list. Other people in the media say we will miss the 8.

On occasion it’s the same person saying both.

Few ****s should be given.

Buckley has us missing the 8

Couldn’t quite tell if it was cause of hatred or his actual view

He was actually pretty kind to us last year. surprisingly. Most the experts seem to have 10-11 "locks" for the top 8 so someone is going to miss out when they are forced to put a ladder on paper. I would bet we will be there ahead and a few more hyped sides will miss out.

Some in the media say we have an elite list. Other people in the media say we will miss the 8.

Few *s should be given.
True.

Doesn’t change the result

I remember Wallsy saying eagles would finish last the year they won the flag, and a couple people like Lloyd and cornes said Hardwick would get sacked the year they broke the drought.

All means nothing you’re right

Few *s should be given.

I remember last year getting really worked up about a few commentators' mid-year picking us to drop out of the 8. Then against all odds we did. This year I don't care what they think (good or bad). At the end of the day all that matters is where we actually finish.

Honestly I don't care if experts pick us to make the 8 or not.

Given the calamitous manner in which we finished last season, and Walsh likely to miss at least the first quarter of our home and away season, Its not a totally unreasonable line of thinking to suggest we may not make the 8 (I think we will finish about 6th at the end of the H and A season myself)

Lots of good teams and players in the league these days. Nothing is set in stone.

robbie walls says 8 perhaps 4 - need more from mcgovern & whatsisname........

Without reading or hearing Wallsy's comments, I would guess Martin

I would love see more of our kids like Carroll, Kemp etc step up and try cement themselves as regulars in our best 22 each week (or at least knocking at the door)

If that happens, i think we are in very good shape, but of course, we need some luck from the injury gods too..

The players all seem to buy into Vossy and his game plan though, which is pleasing.

In fairness to pundits who have us missing out, we haven’t really made improvements to our list in the areas we are widely seen as deficient (pace and foot skills).

The big question is how much you need of either in order to win a flag. Hawthorn won several flags without much pace (they had foot skills). Melbourne won without pace. Richmond won without brilliant footskills.

Realistically, the summer sounds like it’s been all about improving our main game, rather than broadening our game. If you’re a pundit who is unsure on whether you can win a flag without pace or footskills, then I can see why you’d still have question marks over us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness to pundits who have us missing out, we haven’t really made improvements to our list in the areas we are widely seen as deficient (pace and foot skills).

The big question is how much you need of either in order to win a flag. Hawthorn won several flags without much pace (they had foot skills). Melbourne won without pace. Richmond won without brilliant footskills.

Realistically, the summer sounds like it’s been all about improving our main game, rather than broadening our game. If you’re a pundit who is unsure on whether you can win a flag without pace or footskills, then I can see why you’d still have question marks over us.
l don't believe that is factual at all our list management team added Acres & Hollands and Binns to add some speed.

We should have beaten Collingwood & Melbourne the last two games last season with some better composure without Walsh/Hewitt and Kennedy.

We are in good shape, some are overrating both Fremantle & Richmond.
We need to finish top 6 for a pass mark this season.

I hope he's wrong about us not making the 8 but I can't fault what Buckley said - it's exactly my concern TBH. The teams that bother us the most are the ones that can either match our Plan A or setup well to nullify it by allowing us messy, pressured clearances then set-up behind that.

For mine, we still bomb it long to out-of-position or outnumbered forwards far too often to be a genuine top 4.

But here I go, basing this off ... one practise match ;) So plenty to play out obviously.

Time will tell I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back